The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

We don't know much if anything about an upcoming trunk show. The CEO of Allen Edmonds has said that there will be another one, but we don't have the details yet.

They did a trunk show last fall, and it worked as follows:

Several retail stores had an allotment of orders available for special cordovan colors - Navy, Green, Deep Dark Brown, and Natural. You could order any model in those normally unavailable colors without an extra SMU fee. So basically, at the normal price of $650 (shoes) or $725 (boots), you could get whatever AE shoe you want in any of the four special trunk show colors.

During this event, AE also extended the opportunity to buy any style AE makes in any of the normal cordovan colors they offer (Black, Burgundy, or Brown) without an SMU fee, as well.

Assuming they run another trunk show with the same structure, you will be able to order whatever shoe you want (in your case, I'd guess you want the Leeds) in whatever color you want (again, I'd assume you want Brown, but that's the same color as Frye's Brown - unless AE offers deep dark brown again, in which case you'd probably want that).

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in going the Alden route...

-Mike

3. mdubs

Technically, the non-MTO fee was only for 5 or 6 models such as the Strand, Patriot, Leeds, McNeil, and Dundee. All other models should have been upcharged an MTO fee. I had to pay a MTO fee on my Navy Shell Cordovan Tassels.

-Mike

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Ah, I stand corrected.

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yes for the rare colors, but there was no MTO fee for burgundy, brown, black.

6. mdubs

Ha. Gotcha. Never paid much attention to that part of the offer, but that does ring a bell!

7. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Goodness Gracious, I AM NOT saying to keep shoes you don't like...I said if they were mine, I would wear them...

But if you don't like them then by all means don't wear them...

8. mosy

mosy Senior member

Gotcha, YOU like them enough to keep and wear. Thanks. I do appreciate your opinion, because sometimes when I look at them I think "hmm maybe I do like them". So you can see why this is confusing to me, and why everyone's opinion does mean something to me. Thanks again for your input!

9. mdubs

Suggest you sit on them for a few days or weeks and see if they grow on you or not.

-Mike

10. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

@mosy

I went back and read your initial post about the Frye's.

All I can do is offer you my advice. I have more than 1 pair of Alden shoes on Barrie last that have a welt that is similar in height and girth to your Frye's.

Also, the shape of the James last is reminiscent of Alden Barrie to the point that I would venture to say that if you do not like these aspects of the Frye's:

1. Last Shape
    2. Welt Design
    3. Color of the Shell Cordovan

Then you may want to reconsider an Alden PTB altogether...

The issue with Alden's are that you will wait an excruciating amount of time only to find that the color, last, and welt are uncannily similar to those Frye.

They actually look just like Alden's to me my friend.

Your best bet is to design you own Leeds through AE or a PTB through Vass.

Then you can specify many of the details.

Thanks.

11. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

DISCLAIMER: The things I say are in no wise designed to deter you from Alden shoes or boots. In fact, Alden make up the bulk of my rotation by a wide margin.

I am just seeking to be helpful that is all.

12. mosy

mosy Senior member

Once again I appreciate your detailed input. I agree that there are many similarities between the Frye James last and the Alden Barrie last. However, I am quite detail oriented myself and I have seen both of these lasts in person. There are some minor details about the Barrie last that make them very appealing to me overall, whereas the James just doesn't quite cut it. I will sit on them for a few more days (as @mdubs suggested), and if they grow on me to the point of liking them, I will keep. If not, they go back. Either way I will be on the lookout for an Alden.

Overall I think everyone is on the same page and I appreciate the guidance all around.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

13. mosy

mosy Senior member

will do...thanks

14. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

15. mosy

mosy Senior member

I'm either 8 or 8.5 in Barrie. Can't decide. I have tried both and when push comes to shove, I'll probably go for an 8.

Those shoes are beautiful. I know Ebay offers buyer protection even when the seller has a no return policy. How does it work with Paypal? What happens if I pay this guy and I never receive the shoes? Also, with the paypal fee and international shipping, I may be looking at $900!