The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. mosy

mosy Senior member

Thanks! So sounds like you feel these Frye's at $400 not worthwhile, correct?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Gotcha - thanks for confirming that.

Well, on the one hand you've got Horween shell for $400, which is a decent deal. On the other hand, you've got Frye's construction in Mexico. I don't know much about it, but I am guessing it's not quite up to par with AE.

Plus, when AE runs shoebank sales you can get AE seconds for $399. You might be able to find a Leeds in Brown shell (although less easily).

3. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I would not say that.

I think what I was trying to convey was that I felt like their was a certain sense of dissatisfaction in your own word and description about the Frye's...

They are Horween Cordovan, and that is worth $400 in my book...

4. mosy

mosy Senior member

Ok I wasn't sure what you meant. Thanks for clarifying your opinion.

To summarize, now I need to make a personal decision. Do I keep these for the inherent value of them (ie, Horween) even though I have reservations about the aesthetics, hoping that they will grow on me? Or do I ship these back?

I'll have to sleep on this a couple nights. If anyone else wants to weigh in, I'm all ears!

5. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

If you're not happy with them, don't keep them. You'll never wear them, and even if you only wear them once or twice, you'll regret it down the road when you can't return them or sell them for most of their purchase price.

If you really want a darker brown plain toe blucher, you should look for an Alden Cigar PTB. With patience and time, you'll find one. I'm not sure who has done one, but you can reach out to @mdubs and see if he knows. I know Alden DC has done a Cigar cap-toe blucher and Harrison Ltd. has done a Cigar Dover.

Or, you can hope that AE runs another trunk show and offers "Deep Dark Brown" shell again (which is darker than the regular Brown/Dark Cognac), and you can do a Leeds makeup in that.

6. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Totally understood.

Be aware that Barrie PTB is perhaps the blobbiest and clunkiest I have ever seen...I don't think these Frye's in question are any more than Barrie.

Is this your first venture into wearing shell?

Remember, that unless you kick it with Igents outside of the forums, your feet will be shod in finer footwear than 90% of the population.

I would wear those Frye's....

Especially until I could get my feet into those Grails...

Thanks.

7. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

By the way, one of the finest PTB ever made is the C&J for RL Marlow.

Perhaps NAMOR would be kind enough to show a pic of his.

His are a text book example of the beauty of that particular shoe.

8. mosy

mosy Senior member

So....I have conflicting advice from JSO1 and Watchman. Hmm....what do I do now? [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I think he and I are essentially saying the same thing.

Wear the Frye's until you get the Alden or AE's.

At best, your looking at a 1-2yr wait for the Aldens.

The Vass Budapest Last is another great option.

10. mosy

mosy Senior member

JSO1 seems to be saying that if I don't like them I shouldnt keep them, that I'll regret it if I do. You are saying to keep them for now, because even with my reservations, they are beautiful Horween shell shoes, so can't go wrong.

I think both of you have very valid suggestions, but since they are conflicting with each other, I'm at a loss. lol

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

@JSO1 that is a stunning collection. I particularly love the AE navy and Carmina ruby. But my absolute favorite is the gorgeous color 8 Alden WTB. Funny how that works. Color 8 truly IS the king of shell cordovan.

@mosy don't drink the kool aid. Please please please don't spend $400 on shoes that you don't love. Send them back and wait for your dream pair. Save your money for what you really want.

If you like the AE Leeds, then the CEO has confirmed there will be a cordovan trunk show this fall where you will be able to order a brown Leeds for MSRP without makeup. If the Alden truly is your unicorn, put yourself on a list and then wait it out. You will love the shoes all the more for having waited for them.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  12. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Thank you, pep. I really do love Color #8. It is the king.

I agree - if you don't like the shoes, don't keep them. Just because they're Horween shell doesn't mean you should sit on a pair of shoes you don't love. Especially at that price. Save up a little bit, and wait for the perfect pair to come along or the opportunity to order the pair you really want.

13. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Can someone post a link for the Frye's shoes? I'm kinda intrigued. Like the slanted toe.

I'm not scared off by Mexican craftsmanship. Mexican leather saddles were better than American ones. Also, Mexicans have been working with cows and horses longer than American cowboys. The spanish word "rodeo" is Mexican in origin, I'm pretty sure.

14. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

http://www.thefryecompany.com/james-oxford/d/84614

15. mosy

mosy Senior member

Thanks peppercorn.

Forgive my ignorance, how do the AE trunk shows work? Are they online?