The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. mosy

mosy Senior member

Took the plunge....i'd like to post photos, but when I try to copy and paste, the system doesn't seem to allow it. And if I attach it as a file, then only a link comes on. Hpw do I get the actual picture to be in my post?

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Under the "reply", Click that third icon from the left (mountain and sun)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

3. S K M

S K M Senior member

Last chance for a C&J GMTO in shell cordovan before the next price increase!

[​IMG]

… To see what it's all about, head over here :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

4. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gentlemen,

Here you go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Specs are as follows:

Enzo Bonafe 3540 Oxford Boots
    Horween Whiskey Shell Cordovan
    946 Last
    "G" Fitting
    Single Leather Sole with Beveled Waist
    Thin Sole Guards on Heel and Forefront
    9 Brass Eyelets

Now, there are other details I cannot remember off the top of my head. Hope you like them.

Thanks.

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Just amazing.

How do you find the finishing, relative to Alden, Carmina, Vass, etc?

6. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I am waiting to take my first Vass plunge ASAP once they restock their exotic cordovan supplies...so, I cannot vouch for those, yet...

Definitely a cut above all the others mentioned. Especially when you consider that one gets to choose all the big and small details.

I would like to think that there may not be another boot like mine pictured on the face of the earth...

Thanks.

7. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Beautiful!

8. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

these look great. [​IMG]
    I'm amazed at how they managed to hide the width on this boot (9.5 G I presume?).

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Whine: I'm buying too many boots. :embar:

10. mosy

mosy Senior member

thank you!

11. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

*Gents - posting this in a few places as it might interest folks in various threads, so forgive me for the cross-posting)*

I've been on a bit of a "shell kick" lately. I've tried to collect as much of the spectrum of shells that Horween offers as is feasible (and reasonable). I decided this afternoon to take out my shell shoes and boots and take a few photos. Perhaps this will help those of you who are interested in the various colors of shell, and to see the differences between them.

Using the first photo as a reference, here are the models/colors:

Top row (left to right):

• Black shell - Alden Plain Toe Boot, leather sole - 379X last (TheShoeMart irregulars)
    • Navy shell - Allen Edmonds Dundee, Dainite sole - 511 last (MTO, trunk show)
    • Color #8 shell - Alden Wingtip Boot, leather sole - Barrie last (Alden DC)
    • Cigar shell - Alden Cap Toe Boot, leather sole - Barrie last (Alden of Madison)
    • Dark Cognac shell (called "Brown" by AE) - Allen Edmonds Strand, JR sole - 65 last (Altman's in Chicago)
    • Walnut shell - Allen Edmonds Dalton, JR sole - 511 last (MTO)

Bottom row (right to left):

• Ravello shell - Alden Longwing Blucher, leather sole - Barrie last (Leffot)
    • Cognac shell - Carmina 922, leather sole - Rain last (Carmina direct)
    • Whiskey shell - Alden Plain Toe Blucher, leather sole - Barrie last (Alden SF)
    • Natural shell - Allen Edmonds MacNeil, JR sole - 97 last (MTO, trunk show)
    • Color #2 shell (called "Rubi" by Carmina) - Carmina 80105, JR sole - Simpson last (Carmina direct)

As you can see, some colors overlap quite a lot (like Walnut/Ravello and Whiskey/Cognac), while others are very different. I have a few other pairs of shell shoes, but they're the same color (another Alden LWB in Ravello, and an AE Cambridge in Color #8), so I didn't add them to this lineup.

At this point, I'm pretty satisfied with the collection. I'm thinking to perhaps replace the Cigar captoe boot with a Cigar LWB, and to acquire a Carmina derby in green shell. If AE does another trunk show, I might try to get another color that I don't have, but for now I'm pretty well satisfied.

Anyway, hope this color comparison is useful to some of you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mosy

mosy Senior member

Ok so here goes. As mentioned, I took the plunge and ordered my first pair of shells. Some background - I was really interested in a dark brown Alden PTB, as I really like the Barrie last for this shoe. However, they are only readily available in black and color 8, and I would have to wait quite a while for a cigar or dark brown. In addition, I prefer a dark sole and welt, something most brown Aldens don't have. Watchman had pointed me to the Frye James in dark brown as a possibility. So I decided to give it a try. I have some hesitations about keeping them and I'd like to get your advice. Here are 2 pics (the first one is with flash so the color is darker - the 2nd pic is the truer color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So here are my concerns:

1) Color. It's a bit lighter than I was hoping. I wanted a bold deep brown. This seems more like a chocolate milk brown. It's nice but not quite what I was looking for for my first pair of shells.

2) I'm not crazy over the shape of the James last. The profile is quite low, especially at the front of the toe box. In addition the sky welt seems to come up higher than typical, especially relative to the lower height of the shoe. When I look at the shoes from the side, the welt seems so high and noticeable. I didn't take any side profile pics, but here's a stock photo to demonstrate what I mean:

[​IMG]

3) This is Frye construction, made in Mexico. Frye's made in Mexico shoes are not known to be the very best. I've heard of sole problems and other issues. If I'm going to invest in Horween shell, shouldn't the quality of the shoe match up?

4) These seem like factory seconds. To be fair, I did get these at a significant discount - about $400 (compared to $798) - but there are several noticeable issues: There's a slight discoloration on the upper of one of the shoes, as well as some scratches on the side towards the back. and also, (see pic above) the eyelets don't seem to be perfectly aligned. Here are pics of the discoloration spot and scratches:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok, so now I need advice. Should I be happy with these shoes despite my concerns? Or should I send these back and keep looking?

Thanks in advance!!

13. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Those scuffs will buff out with some water, a deer bone, a brush, some Bick 4 or VSC, and some buffing. I'm not familiar with Frye's construction, or whether they use Horween shell (or Comipel or Shinki). It looks like Horween's Dark Cognac shell to me.

14. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

mosy,

I did not know those Frye were; "Hecho in Mexico".

This what I would do. Get as many pics of the Alden PTB that you want and then have AE copy them.

The Leeds pattern is great.

Also, Vass cordovan MTO should be about $750. That would be an option for me for sure if I were you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

15. mosy

mosy Senior member

It's Horween - stamped on sole.