• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

minthe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm still busy planning my first Cordovan boot purchase (tricky as it needs to be a women's 7/men's 5) and the maker I'm communication with told me that they do not do shell tongues on the boots (uncomfortable, too thick). Now, I know that Viberg for example has shell-tongued Boots and I really like the look of the tongue protruding over the boot top. What are your experiences/opinions about this?

Also, before I overspend:

What do you think a Horween shell cordovan single MTO (American made) boot, size based on foot tracings with existing lasts, some custom changes (shorter shaft, different shape of the toe cap, tapered heel ...) of a base pattern should cost? The offer is no less than $1500. Is that a crazy price in your eyes?

Cheers!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm still busy planning my first Cordovan boot purchase (tricky as it needs to be a women's 7/men's 5) and the maker I'm communication with told me that they do not do shell tongues on the boots (uncomfortable, too thick). Now, I know that Viberg for example has shell-tongued Boots and I really like the look of the tongue protruding over the boot top. What are your experiences/opinions about this?

What do you think a Horween shell cordovan single MTO (American made) boot, size based on foot tracings with existing lasts, some custom changes (shorter shaft, different shape of the toe cap, tapered heel ...) of a base pattern should cost? The offer is no less than $1500. Is that a crazy price in your eyes?

Cheers!
No, not with the items your mentioning. But what do I know, I ended up purchasing these and I didn't even get anything custom done and they cost more than what your talking about.

Then there are these for not very much less purchased directly from a retailer off the shelf.

Worth or value is ultimately determined by the person buying or owning the item. Based on what I saw at the time and what I've seen since then I'm still happy even though know I could have gotten a pair of cordovan boots for much much less.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys,

Cheers!
depends on the maker, but that's a lot of money.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends on the maker, but that's a lot of money.

Good point, I would want to make sure I'm buying from someone who I trust that would make a good looking but solid boot. Someone who does good and attractive looking work.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good point, I would want to make sure I'm buying from someone who I trust that would make a good looking but solid boot. Someone who does good and attractive looking work.
I'd just get a bespoke last and use that.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm perfectly happy and I didn't go bespoke. YMMV
For two grand or so, I'm booking a flight to visit Vass and getting something bespoke made. I do have hard to fit feet though.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For two grand or so, I'm booking a flight to visit Vass and getting something bespoke made. I do have hard to fit feet though.

It would surely cost me more than that for flight and boots from Vass, but then again the two I posted are what I wanted to begin with.

But like I tried to say in the first place no matter what you decide to do as long as your happy that's all that really matters anyways.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys,

Cheers!

Just curious, who's the maker?

A pair of EG or G&G stock non-shell boots will cost you that much most places. I don't believe 1500 is out of line for a custom shell boot if you get the fit you want. It's only 2x as much as a pr of Alden Cigar shells, for perspective.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, not with the items your mentioning. But what do I know, I ended up purchasing these and I didn't even get anything custom done and they cost more than what your talking about. [
URL=http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1530792/]
LL
[/URL] Then there are these for not very much less purchased directly from a retailer off the shelf.
Worth or value is ultimately determined by the person buying or owning the item. Based on what I saw at the time and what I've seen since then I'm still happy even though know I could have gotten a pair of cordovan boots for much much less.
Awesome boots, drees. :slayer:

minthe

Reaction score
Those boots really are stunning!
Thank you all for your comments. The maker is Julian Boots about whom I've not heard too much, some good and some not so good things, so I'm still contemplating. I haven't come across anyone else who's willing/capable to make a boot close to my "dream boot".

I completely agree with:
Quote:
I'm pretty good about forgetting about the monetary worth of things, once I have them. Just the many many hours over all those years that I have been dreaming up this boot will make it worth to finally walk in it.

But I do not know about the retail value of a Cordovan women's Julian Boot (they made them for Bowery some years ago) ... and if it's about half what I'm paying now, I should probably be getting even more exactly what I want. The price I'm referring to is not what it would cost to have a completely new pattern made (still not talking bespoke lasts there)...
Maybe I'll have to bargain a bit more.

Thanks, in any case, for your opinions!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you all for your comments. The maker is Julian Boots about whom I've not heard too much, some good and some not so good things, so I'm still contemplating. I haven't come across anyone else who's willing/capable to make a boot close to my "dream boot". 

I completely agree with:

I'm pretty good about forgetting about the monetary worth of things, once I have them. Just the many many hours over all those years that I have been dreaming up this boot will make it worth to finally walk in it. 

But I do not know about the retail value of a Cordovan women's Julian Boot (they made them for Bowery some years ago) ... and if it's about half what I'm paying now, I should probably be getting even more exactly what I want. The price I'm referring to is not what it would cost to have a completely new pattern made (still not talking bespoke lasts there)...

Thank you.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I completely agree with:

Have you considered Carmina for women's shell cordovan boots?

minthe

Reaction score
^ Yes, I have, but I am not too keen on the Madison pattern (how would you call this style with no seams at the sides?) and as I understand, that would be the only Women's boot option,

Personally I look for something a little more semi-dress, a tad more rugged, without being a round, wide upturned-toe workboot. In that sweet spot, I like the look of the 1000mile boots, some Viberg boots but nothing I felt I can actually get my hands on in Cordovan and a size that fits me...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads