• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imagejpg2_zps2c84f107.jpg

Left to Right: OG Carmina Cognac and Saddle

Pic is 10 years old

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
You could have told me those were all the same color

agree. to be fair though it looks like the pic is in fairly intense light. suspect they showed a bit different in other conditions but the colors are obviously similar.

nice shoes btw @Watchman1

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image.jpg4_zpsrrmhpuql.jpg

@stook1

I thought you might say that...so here is the same shoes and pic taken same day in indirect lighting.

Left to Right: Alden Whiskey, Carmina Saddle, AE Natural, Alden Whiskey

If you want to get technical, the far left Alden and the oldest (2011 I think) and have the most wear at this point. The far right Alden were BNIB and I don't think I even tried them on yet...

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen greater variation within runs from the same maker than what you see above. OG Alden Whiskey had a real serious golden yellow shade going on. OG Alden Whiskey and Carmina Saddle are almost identical, as I previously said.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image.jpg2_zpsb5dclali.jpg

Left to Right: Alden Ravello (2015) and Carmina old Cognac

This batch of Ravello was when Alden really started using the darker hides. I remember vividly because back then some of the guys sold their pairs because they were so dark.

It is worth noting the Carmina had some fairly heavy wear on them at this point.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@flylikeneagle looks like they called it "Dark Whiskey". Nevertheless, they are amazing indeed.

I believe G&G stopped working with shell cordovan altogether. Or, they only work with black and #8 nowadays.

A pity because the above pair are wonderful
Thanks for sharing, they are indeed stunning.

G&G still works with shell, but option is not available via MTO configurator. One needs to contact G&G directly to get list of available colors. These days their shell is primarily non-horween, but I've been told you can request horween (may cost a little more)

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_0799.jpeg

These 2 pairs really do showcase the vast differences between contemporary Ravello and OG Ravello.

Both are Alden. The pair on the left were made around 2019 and the other pair on the right were made around 2012 I think.

Who was saying OG Alden Ravello didn't look like Carmina Amaretto? lol

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C40EDE60-26CD-446D-A9BA-AD17612D55CD.jpeg

Left to Right: Alden Ravello, Carmina old Cognac, Alden Ravello

As I said, Carmina old Cognac and Alden old Ravello are nearly identical

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got quite the shell collection my friend

TBH some of these shoes in these pics have been resold. But yes, my wife is very gracious 😉

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1924967

Left to Right: Alden Ravello, Carmina old Cognac, Alden Ravello

As I said, Carmina old Cognac and Alden old Ravello are nearly identical
Dude, you need to wear these (and the rest of your collection) more often and provide us with regular supply of shoe/boot p@rn.

Carmina old cognac is one of the nicest shades of shell I've ever seen. Carmina told me Armagnac is the new cognac, but they're distinctly different colors.

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, you need to wear these (and the rest of your collection) more and provide us with regular supply of shoe/boot p@rn.

Carmina old cognac is one of the nicest shades of shell I've ever seen. Carmina told me Armagnac is the new cognac, but they're distinctly different colors.

Lol, thanks man. So I just counted and it looks like I have 26 official pairs of shell cordovan shoes and boots...I think. That is out of 30+ or so shoes/boots altogether.

Check these out from around 2014:

imagejpg5_zps85e0f3f3.jpg

image_zpsa2459502.jpg

imagejpg7_zps59c5296a.jpg

^These were Detroit Last PTB on Dainite. I can't express in words how thick and spongy the cordovan hides were on these, like rubber.

Sadly, I sold them. They were old Cognac...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads