The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Roger, I don't like the "Atom" design. I know this isn't an Alden thread, but that's all I know as a name for that LWB/SWB hybrid design as. I do intend to do a MTO EG Shell design. Seeing Navy She'll definitely has my attention. That may have just moved up in my purchasing queue. Frankly I am over saturated right now, so I am in a purchasing pause on any new purchases (pre-orders aside).

-Mike

2. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

3. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Out of all my Carmina's.....3 pair in shell.....this pair is BY FAR the best. I know that others have bemoaned dryness issues with them. I have had that happen on one other pair.

These however seem to be much better. The lining is good on them. What sticks out the most to me is that it "Seems" to me that while there is a toe stiffener at the end of the toe, there is very little lining at all in the vamp where the cordovan rolls.....creating an almost unlined effect.

Also, this is my first pair of shell on Dainite, and, I must say that I am quite impressed. Especially in the break in period (which was none existent almost with this pair) the Dainite causes the shell to roll a little more fluid and evenly. I will have to take pics soon.

Gentlemen, again I am quite impressed with this pair.

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Shocked to hear you down like the Ullswater. I love that design and actually have an MTo due in 4 months or so. I think it is a nice change from the sea of LWB's

5. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I don't know why, I just prefer a standard SWB or LWB myself. Just a personal taste preference. :)

6. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

Glad you are enjoying those carminas. The dainite sole and the wider last made those really tempting, but fortunately my size got sold out within a day of the release showing up on the site (and my wallet heaved a sigh of relief!)

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Glad to hear that you continue to be pleased with this pair.

I can't say I've had any dryness issues with my three pairs of Carmina shell. I have noticed just from on-line pics that some shell pairs seem to have a flat, waxy finish and others a more glossy Alden-like finish - is this what people are referring to? My 3 were all the more glossy finish out of the box and have worn beautifully.

Dainite rocks for out of the box comfort and all-weather wearablity.

8. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Yeah, I cant remember who I was speaking with...(someone on this forum) and they were discussing Carmina cordovan dryness. I have had a pair of 922 cognac wingtips that were a bit dry.....nothing to write home about......

I just was mentioning it because it was fresh on my thinking that is all.

I will say this....I believe Carmina to still be one of the most underrated manufacturers that produce shell cordovan shoes. When you figure in availability and pricing, colors etc.....

They may have a bit of a niche market. Alden is great....Carmina just has some beautiful designs......

9. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I'm far from a shoe connoissuer but I've got about 20-25 pair of shell's, the overwhelming majority of which are Aldens. The only Carmina's are a pair of cognac 532's. They are easily my favorites but I must admit that the only reason they aren't my go-to daily shoes is the dryness. I love the gloss of my Alden 975's and other color 8's. My 532's are just a little dry for my taste. They're still my favorites because of last and color, but man, if I could get the shine on these that I get on my aldens, I would be in heaven.

10. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

I have been able to achieve and "Aldenesque" shine on some of my Carmina's. It takes a lot of work and Saphir products in my experience. Alden are easier to shine IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Some fresh out of the box pics of my shell Carminas - plenty glossy enough for me. I have definitely seen pics of examples that had the type of finish you are describing (which I don't think has anything to do with dryness at all - just doesn't have that high gloss - some say plasticky - Alden finish).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Reminds me of that glossy caramel sheen on a vanilla sundae. Which color you enjoy most? That cognac boot is remarkable in every way

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Great...now I'm hungry.

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Who has disposable income for things like food?

15. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I recommend eating more horse meat.