• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bourbon MacNeils

IMG_0220.jpg

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’ve been going through the colors of shell and still haven’t bought black yet. I love how shell ages/patinas. Does black get amazing with age too? If so, anyone have a picture of well aged black shell to the encourage me to join in?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice! Out of curiosity, how long you have them, and do they get darker/ lighter in color since you bought them? Thanks.
I will appreciate if you have pic when they were new to see and comajre it with this current pic.

They were from the 2019 trunk show and I got them in March 2019, so they are now 2 years old. I think they have not really changed much in color. Here are three pictures, indoors and out when they were new.

1F66CEAE-BED2-4C39-9DEB-D4F289E45B6B.jpeg
2541DCD1-EE65-478B-B360-B6469D6955E2.jpeg
3CAA4C3C-48A1-4D3B-BA33-F95751E71F17.jpeg

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leaping lizards those are gorgeous. Can I ask how old these are? From the shade I'm assuming this is the older whiskey formulation prior to Horween changing it to be more environmentally conscious (but darker)?
Thanks, these are two yrs old. I ordered in Feb 2019 while boots were still in production, and they were shipped a month later.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leaping lizards those are gorgeous. Can I ask how old these are? From the shade I'm assuming this is the older whiskey formulation prior to Horween changing it to be more environmentally conscious (but darker)?

I see very little difference between my slightly older whiskey shoes/boots and whiskey boots purchased more recently. I took quick photos of my whiskey and bourbon pairs and as you can see they're all very similar in hue.

The first photo shows my four whiskey pairs arranged by age left to right - whiskey blucher 3 years old (could be older, bought new from ebay seller), Lindrick 2.5 yrs, Harlech 2 yrs, Galway ~ 6 months old

The second photo shows my two bourbon pairs sandwiched between two whiskey pairs (my most translucent and lightest whiskey).

I'll also add most of these have seen very little wear, so the leather hasn't had a chance to age and patina. The NST boot and Cardiff (blucher) have seen the most wear (20-25 wears). Next are the loafer (~15 wears), Harlech (~10) and Lindrick (~5). Haven't had a chance to wear the Galway yet.

DSC_1053.JPG
DSC_1054.JPG

Last edited:

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see very little difference between my slightly older whiskey shoes/boots and whiskey boots purchased more recently. I took quick photos of my whiskey and bourbon pairs and as you can see they're all very similar in hue.

The first photo shows my four whiskey pairs arranged by age left to right - whiskey blucher 3 years old (could be older, bought new from ebay seller), Lindrick 2.5 yrs, Harlech 2 yrs, Galway ~ 6 months old

The second photo shows my two bourbon pairs sandwiched between two whiskey pairs (my most translucent and lightest whiskey).

I'll also add most of these have seen very little wear, so the leather hasn't had a chance to age and patina. The NST boot and Cardiff (blucher) have seen the most wear (20-25 wears). Next are the loafer (~15 wears), Harlech (~10) and Lindrick (~5). Haven't had a chance to wear the Galway yet.

View attachment 1594529 View attachment 1594530
Keep them coming! These shoes are meant to be photographed more then they are worn

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep them coming! These shoes are meant to be photographed more then they are worn

Ha ha, WFH for over a year now hasn't helped. I also mostly avoid wearing shell in wet weather, and it rains quite a bit in ATL.

Having a decent sized rotation also prevents me from wearing these more. I know there are folks who own ~100 shoes/boots. With that many pairs I'd feel feel overwhelmed (and still feel insatiated!)

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

View attachment 1594529 View attachment 1594530

I was gonna post a pic today... but yahhh, will let some other poor bastard follow this post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads