• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Marlows
Love the colour!

it was me asking recently about C&J dark brown shell and whether it lightens over time. This photo definitely shows the kind of colour I would hope for.

I have a hankering for my 2nd shell pair and have a potential option in dark brown shell but wouldn’t be so keen if it stayed really dark with no variation in tones.

Last edited:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be just me, but I reserve my (darker)shell specifically for the rain due to ease of care afterwards
I always avoided the rain in my pair but have read a lot recently about its resilience in rain and how it can be cleaned up easily afterwards so I might be a bit less paranoid from now.

zippyh

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Love the colour!

it was me asking recently about C&J dark brown shell and whether it lightens over time. This photo definitely shows the kind of colour I would hope for.

I have a hankering for my 2nd shell pair and have a potential option in dark brown shell but wouldn’t be so keen if it stayed really dark with no variation in tones.
They're from Nov 2015. They were pretty dark when new.

flylikeneagle

Reaction score
It may be just me, but I reserve my (darker)shell specifically for the rain due to ease of care afterwards
No shell or suede in the rain for me. I may give suede a try at some point, but I own only a single pair of suede boots which I rotate. I have two pairs of C&J Conistons incoming from Cavour's 50% off sale, will reserve one pair for wet weather wear.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No shell or suede in the rain for me. I may give suede a try at some point, but I own only a single pair of suede boots which I rotate. I have two pairs of C&J Conistons incoming from Cavour's 50% off sale, will reserve one pair for wet weather wear.
It's funny, I'm the complete opposite! I have 8 or so pairs of suede. Spray them with protectant and use them and shell exclusively for rain :p

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I really hate you guys. :brick:

Thanks a lot flylikeaneagle, now that I saw Cavour is having a sale, I’ve bought another pair that I really don’t need.

Jmr928

Reaction score
Found a pair of Florsheim shell PTBs that have been pretty neglected making reading any of the codes difficult. Any idea on age? I think the date code is HF which is either 1965, 1975, 1985 or 1995. Black lettering, green Florsheim Imperial inset.

Attachments

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.