• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to be an internet consensus on how to moisturize/polish shell shoes. Every page I read says something different. I have a pair of burgundy (but very brown) AE MacNeils that need some love. What should I do?
I have heard Renovateur works well as does Venetian shoe cream. Although I don’t think that’s readily available to me in the UK.

I have used renovateur previously but decided to just get the Saphir Cordovan cream which should hopefully be the right product for the job. I went for neutral and found it did a good job.

I’m sure the various other options people recommend are fine also though.

I’m sticking with regular brushing and very infrequent conditioning where possible.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I have heard Renovateur works well as does Venetian shoe cream. Although I don’t think that’s readily available to me in the UK.

I have used renovateur previously but decided to just get the Saphir Cordovan cream which should hopefully be the right product for the job. I went for neutral and found it did a good job.

I’m sure the various other options people recommend are fine also though.

I’m sticking with regular brushing and very infrequent conditioning where possible.
Afpos sells renovateur in the UK at a more than acceptable price.

ducatiti

Reaction score
Hello. New to shell and having been purchasing some since last month. These are so addicting especially with the ongoing tempting sales. Most if not all are probably familiar and probably being currently eyed since they can be yours at a fraction of the price. Hope the pictures will help your decisions :)

This pair started it all with the 30% off factory seconds @ $329. AE MacNeil in Burgundy..
IMG_4402.jpg

Then this caught my attention since I've never had a plain cap toe. Carmina in Forest..
IMG_4407.jpg

Oh wait, another one on sale and something different :)
IMG_4404.jpg

Then, my size magically popped up at Carmina's site..

IMG_4408.jpg

I went to SF downtown @ Alden's and found these special editions on sale.. I said why not lol
IMG_4406.jpg

I said to myself, I should not browse the forums anymore as this will not help me any. I ended up with these C&J for Brooks..
IMG_4401.jpg

God help me.... For days, these boots were gone from their site then my size all of suddenly appears..
IMG_4409.jpg

I said to myself since Crockett for Peal & Co. may be phased out soon so might as well purchase the last style available for around $500 with their coupon.

Now question for all, do shell C&J plane toe bluchers sometime come with rolls that look like they have been worn. Mine came with some but smoothen them out with a deer bone a little as shown in the pictures. There are globs of paint or dye on the very front face of the leather sole as well but no wear.

Is this something I just have to accept?

IMG_4403.jpg

George Red

Reaction score
People often ask how to care for shell, so I’m sharing this story and pics. Last night I went out with the boys. It was a total heck of a shitshow time. Got home at like 4:00 am. Anyway, I wore my favorite boots last night, a pair of U-tip Carminas in bourbon shell that I special ordered. As you’ll see below, I completely banged them up. Snow, slush, booze, god knows what else.
C9D4BB68-0CF3-4EB5-A3F1-72732C245183.jpeg

1035D66C-13B9-446A-8FC1-46FED714733D.jpeg

4E3CEB96-EDD1-4A84-9B1B-4D636C8F9468.jpeg

So, here’s what I did to achieve the finish pictured below.

1) Cleaned the boots using Saphir saddle
soap, which I applied with a dauber. I cleaned relatively vigorously and then let the soap sink in for a while;

2) Cleaned off the saddle soap using a damp rag;

3) Applied two coats of Saphir Renovateur, letting them sit for 15 minutes thereafter;

4) Brush with horse hair brush;

5) Applied Saphir cordovan cream in whiskey (“fawn”) color using a cotton shirt rag. I let them sit for 15-30 minutes;

6) Brush with horse hair brush;

7) Applied a thin layer of Saphir patte de lux wax polish.

8) Spritz some water on a yak hair brush (expensive, but worth it) then lightly buff the entire shoe.

All done.
630C82C8-1400-4BCE-96CC-FE17A3A71257.jpeg

8CBECB20-3A62-4111-B6AD-245050C8E001.jpeg

F87A7C42-6549-4B88-8AE3-E2013CFEDD52.jpeg

1C1DCE4D-D204-456E-96DE-5E1E592AAA2B.jpeg

ducatiti

Reaction score
Do you guys condition/polish shells out of the box? I couldn't help it, went Saphir Reno and Cordovan polish. I was bored :)

Before:

IMG_4409.jpg

After:
IMG_4410.jpg

Opinion: Straight or Cross lacing for this pair?

IMG_4411.jpg

Last edited:

ducatiti

Reaction score
People often ask how to care for shell, so I’m sharing this story and pics. Last night I went out with the boys. It was a total heck of a shitshow time. Got home at like 4:00 am. Anyway, I wore my favorite boots last night, a pair of U-tip Carminas in bourbon shell that I special ordered. As you’ll see below, I completely banged them up. Snow, slush, booze, god knows what else.
View attachment 1333478
View attachment 1333481
View attachment 1333482

soap, which I applied with a dauber. I cleaned relatively vigorously and then let the soap sink in for a while;

3) Applied two coats of Saphir Renovateur, letting them sit for 15 minutes thereafter;

5) Applied Saphir cordovan cream in whiskey (“fawn”) color using a cotton shirt rag. I let them sit for 15-30 minutes;

8) Spritz some water on a yak hair brush (expensive, but worth it) then lightly buff the entire shoe.

All done.
View attachment 1333488
View attachment 1333490
View attachment 1333491
View attachment 1333492

Very nice! Looks better than out of the box. I've been trying to decide for weeks to purchase the Yak brush or not.

I plan to use it solely for my cordovan shoes, I currently have a dedicated horse and goat hair brush.

Is it way better than a goat hair brush? I want a black yak but they only have the neutral currently.

Mind sharing pics of the Yak brush?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afpos sells renovateur in the UK at a more than acceptable price.
Sorry I think my post was confusing. I meant VSC isn’t readily available.

I have Renovateur (and most of my other shoe care products) from AFPOS.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1333478
View attachment 1333481
View attachment 1333482

All done.
View attachment 1333488
View attachment 1333490
View attachment 1333491
View attachment 1333492
Impressive results, good to know that they can be revived fairly easily after some abuse.

George Red

Reaction score
Very nice! Looks better than out of the box. I've been trying to decide for weeks to purchase the Yak brush or not.

I plan to use it solely for my cordovan shoes, I currently have a dedicated horse and goat hair brush.

Is it way better than a goat hair brush? I want a black yak but they only have the neutral currently.

Mind sharing pics of the Yak brush?
Yak brush feels like silk. Just go to The Hanger Project. That’s where I got mine.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see these have been mentioned in the last few pages. Found these on sale in consignment and did not hesitate for a second at $200. Love these.
20200207_151603.jpg
20200207_151612.jpg
20200207_151620.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hello. New to shell and having been purchasing some since last month. These are so addicting especially with the ongoing tempting sales. Most if not all are probably familiar and probably being currently eyed since they can be yours at a fraction of the price. Hope the pictures will help your decisions :)

This pair started it all with the 30% off factory seconds @ $329. AE MacNeil in Burgundy..
View attachment 1333307

Then this caught my attention since I've never had a plain cap toe. Carmina in Forest..
View attachment 1333311

Oh wait, another one on sale and something different :)
View attachment 1333312

Then, my size magically popped up at Carmina's site..

View attachment 1333313

I went to SF downtown @ Alden's and found these special editions on sale.. I said why not lol
View attachment 1333316

I said to myself, I should not browse the forums anymore as this will not help me any. I ended up with these C&J for Brooks..
View attachment 1333323

God help me.... For days, these boots were gone from their site then my size all of suddenly appears..
View attachment 1333324

I said to myself since Crockett for Peal & Co. may be phased out soon so might as well purchase the last style available for around $500 with their coupon.

Now question for all, do shell C&J plane toe bluchers sometime come with rolls that look like they have been worn. Mine came with some but smoothen them out with a deer bone a little as shown in the pictures. There are globs of paint or dye on the very front face of the leather sole as well but no wear.

Is this something I just have to accept?

View attachment 1333325
Holy cow, you are on a steam roll!!!! On the pre-rolled shoes, they look pretty great post your work. They will instantly crease after a few quick steps, so I wouldn't worry too much about it...

View attachment 1333478
View attachment 1333481
View attachment 1333482

All done.
View attachment 1333488
View attachment 1333490
View attachment 1333491
View attachment 1333492
Wow, those are beautiful boots and easy to see why the are in your favorite few. Fantastic work restoring them!!!

Cross post from the Carmina thread. New Color 4 jumpers

View attachment 1333499View attachment 1333500View attachment 1333501
Wow, those are fantastic! Great to see that various vendors are getting some Color #4 in!

-Mike

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 146 33.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%