• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was shoe maintenance day for me and while I had a few pairs out I decided to take an updated picture of the shades in my shell collection.

View attachment 1193208

View attachment 1193209

In the top picture: black, green, color 8, cigar, dark cognac, ravello, natural and whiskey. Looking to add color 4 and color 2/rubi next. Had navy in the past and found it too close to black for my tastes.
Fantastic!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was shoe maintenance day for me and while I had a few pairs out I decided to take an updated picture of the shades in my shell collection.

View attachment 1193208

View attachment 1193209

In the top picture: black, green, color 8, cigar, dark cognac, ravello, natural and whiskey. Looking to add color 4 and color 2/rubi next. Had navy in the past and found it too close to black for my tastes.

That’s interesting, it seems the cigar and dark cognac are very similar in color as well.

But, I can understand how the allure of such rare colors would overpower your aversion to color similarity. Excellent collection!

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting, it seems the cigar and dark cognac are very similar in color as well.

But, I can understand how the allure of such rare colors would overpower your aversion to color similarity. Excellent collection!

Thank you! I will say that I've had a few different pairs of AE's brown shell (dark cognac) and these are by far the lightest pair I've owned. Here's a picture I took last year. The leftmost pair is dark cognac, followed by two cigars and then two more dark cognacs. I'd say the pair of Strands at the end is more typical of what I've seen. Cigar itself has also gotten slightly darker and less olive over the years.

994436-d4b42afb231adac3bcde54d499fffcc8.jpg

With that being said, I should clarify that my issue with my navy pair wasn't just that it was too close to another shade (black). My wardrobe just leans fairly business casual and my black shell Dovers are currently the only black shoe in my collection and my almost black navy pair wasn't seeing many wears so I moved them on.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention they use the pegging and wood nailing method for the soles on these. Should have gotten a better image of the sole before I wore them.
D1971D26-9AAF-4EED-930A-8299E321FE47.jpeg
0F9CAC24-99C5-4ECE-903E-0FE0E57CF458.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AE MacNeils.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads