• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was shoe maintenance day for me and while I had a few pairs out I decided to take an updated picture of the shades in my shell collection.

View attachment 1193208

View attachment 1193209

In the top picture: black, green, color 8, cigar, dark cognac, ravello, natural and whiskey. Looking to add color 4 and color 2/rubi next. Had navy in the past and found it too close to black for my tastes.
Fantastic!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was shoe maintenance day for me and while I had a few pairs out I decided to take an updated picture of the shades in my shell collection.

View attachment 1193208

View attachment 1193209

In the top picture: black, green, color 8, cigar, dark cognac, ravello, natural and whiskey. Looking to add color 4 and color 2/rubi next. Had navy in the past and found it too close to black for my tastes.
That’s interesting, it seems the cigar and dark cognac are very similar in color as well.

But, I can understand how the allure of such rare colors would overpower your aversion to color similarity. Excellent collection!

Vocans

Reaction score
That’s interesting, it seems the cigar and dark cognac are very similar in color as well.

But, I can understand how the allure of such rare colors would overpower your aversion to color similarity. Excellent collection!
Thank you! I will say that I've had a few different pairs of AE's brown shell (dark cognac) and these are by far the lightest pair I've owned. Here's a picture I took last year. The leftmost pair is dark cognac, followed by two cigars and then two more dark cognacs. I'd say the pair of Strands at the end is more typical of what I've seen. Cigar itself has also gotten slightly darker and less olive over the years.

994436-d4b42afb231adac3bcde54d499fffcc8.jpg

With that being said, I should clarify that my issue with my navy pair wasn't just that it was too close to another shade (black). My wardrobe just leans fairly business casual and my black shell Dovers are currently the only black shoe in my collection and my almost black navy pair wasn't seeing many wears so I moved them on.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE MacNeils.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers