1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Wore my Carmina cognacs in the rain today to see if they would melt.

They didn’t.
    78B4A08E-9A1D-45F1-B7F8-78981D71C446.jpeg

2. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

#shellabuse...lol

3. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

He's not showing a full body shot because he's clearly got his shell beater shirt on.

4. peppercorn78

Canclini floral actually

E01E8B5B-4FDA-4583-ABFA-8DD715352A97.jpeg

5. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

6. peppercorn78

LOL they did get a little
    Effed up but it’s nothing 15 minutes with a deerbone and some saphir won’t fix.

0C36A0FA-E033-4F78-97F9-DEB54DDCBBB2.jpeg

7. 007Bond

007Bond Distinguished Member

That's an easy fix, no deer bone needed.

Lots of water, 2 min brush and done.

I would also pass on the saphir unless it's been a few months from the last application.

8. 007Bond

Here is one of my post on this matter.

Next time try water to get the water spots out, I have a plastic water bottle in with the shoe care just for this. Take your choice old sock T shirt wet it and go over the shoe with the wet rag and don't be shy with the water. You will actually see the spots blending in and the shoe becoming more uniform already. Dry them off and brush like normal, I have never had to brush more than a few min so to me the effort is minimal. But yes from me wearing shell all the time I learned that if you don't use the water method it does seem to take forever and a lot of effort. Also it's not the wet conditions that is the problem it's more the lack of, just a sprinkle of water leave the spots (that's why using more water makes them go away) if you get the whole shoe wet much less of a problem. Seems when ppl wear shell they baby it and try to not get it wet, if you just wear the shoe and go about your business your much better off.

9. peppercorn78

Gents, thanks for the helpful advice. This isn’t my first rodeo with shell cordovan, though. This particular pair doesn’t yield its spots to water brushing unless it’s done immediately before drying, and I can’t be that guy on the NYC Subway...

These are due for the full treatment, as it happens, so I will Be pampering them this weekend.

FWIW, I usually only have to deer bone and brush for 5 minutes. The other 10 is waiting for the conditioner to dry in between.

10. stephenaf2003

This idea that not wearing my shell shoes in the rain, means I baby my shell, is puzzling. Wearing my shell in the rain...it’s just not a thing for me personally.

For me, it’s a simple reason; I don’t wear wear my shell in the rain because I don’t like my shoes looking like crap as I go about my day. Now that is a personal opinion about what Shell looks like that has been rained on. And, I understand that is subjective; apparently many people really like the look. I have specific shoes for rainy days that complement the look I personally want to achieve for that day. And for me, I’ve just never had a day where I want to show case rain spotted shoes, at least I haven’t yet. Maybe one day though.

11. 007Bond

I just did a copy past from another post that was a reply to a different person on a different thread. I just did not want to retype it all and figured this got the process across. It was not directed specifically to you nor was the comment, sorry if you thought it was, it was not. The only intention was to get the process of removing the spots across, nothing more.

12. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Distinguished Member

This is an excellent point and the reason I have treated grain on commando for work days. I do have boots and a pair of beater shells for when looking my best isn’t as big a concern. But yeah, it’s impractical to be damp wiping, VSC and brushing when I get to work and then when I get home again.

13. stephenaf2003

@007Bond , no let me apologize. I was afraid my post might come off as sounding hurt. It’s one of the problems with writing on the internet; tone is difficult to convey. That is not it at all. And your post didn’t offend me; I was sincere when I said I was puzzled why folks considered it coddling Shell. I totally don’t have one issue with others wearing Shell in the rain.

But, I’ve never seen anyone express why they don’t do it before. So, I just kinda wanted to express what I thought about my reasons for abstaining from wear of Shell in wet conditions.

14. stephenaf2003

Speaking of shoe maintenance, done Valentine’s Day shopping. Time to do a little shoe maintenance from last weeks wears.
    583EE56E-4309-41B5-A301-9B85B23C79A2.jpeg

15. 007Bond

All good. But you do have a point, generally it does not look good all spotted up....but.....that said....

Funny thing is I partly want to quote you from the Carmina thread, but a bit out of context. From stephenaf2003 "@007Bond , on these things I’m a bit of a rebel. I pay no attention to conventions of what I should and shouldn’t wear with certain outfits. My advice will get you in trouble, I go with if it looks good to me, I wear it.".

So I like shell, and I like it a lot, I just wear it, and I pay no attention to what people think it looks like in the rain.

Agreed in light rain it spots up and does not look that great at all, in fact probably the worst of any material. But my angle is a little like yours but different. Normally my shoes are on point all nice and shiny, so I get caught in some rain, now all spotted up not looking so good, coworkers notices (since really out of place for me), conversation strikes up about shoes and now we have an interesting shoe and shell conversation. I have had a few coworkers become very interested in shoes after this, they ask me for advice on purchasing, purchase from my favorite SA, and ask for care advice. Kinda starts something like we have here on the forums at work if things go the right way.