1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Braddock", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Awesome. Trickers has done some cool shell options.

2. aero25

aero25 Distinguished Member

Outstanding, Mr. Bond!

3. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

RL Marlows by C&J 2day:
    [​IMG]

4. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Distinguished Member

Great look! I have the same pair

5. Andrew Carkhuff

Andrew Carkhuff Well-Known Member

Those are awesome! C&J’s wingtips are right up there with Alden’s, IMO.

6. forex

forex Distinguished Member

Gents, I have a couple pairs of C&J shell loafers that turned pretty bad at creases, see pictures below. What would you recommend to clean the area? I tried Saphir Reno and usually use it, it does a good job but the area around creases has gathered some dirt and it almost looks like leather was damaged. Wondering if I should strip the leather and apply some cream, thoughts?

IMG_0191.jpg

7. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Looks really dry. When's the last time you've done a conditioning treatment? I like to use Bick 4 or VSC for a good conditioning soak.

8. forex

Literally 30 minutes ago, I use Saphir Reno mostly but wondering if I should use something different. It is not dry, it is more a dirt build up and looks like leather deterioration. I wonder if it has to do with creases and all. It looks fine from a far but close up, it is bad.

9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

I feel like all my C&J shell ends up like that or almost as bad at the creases, despite use of saphir renovateur or VSC.

10. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Senior Member

I’d be reluctant to strip. What’s the back story here; how old, any regular maintenance? I’d do a few rounds of vsc and try it move some color back into the area with a deer bone if they were mine.

11. forex

I’ve had the shell shoes for about 5-6 years, been using Saphir Reno only. I did become lazy lately and don’t have the time or desire to spend much time maintaining my shoes but my calf shoes are fine. My guess is that the build up and deterioration has also to do with creases, it looks like it happened to other people.

12. sterlingindigo

sterlingindigo Senior Member

I’m not a saphir expert but there’s two products called reno. Ones more of a cleaner than the other I believe. I think it’s the reno mat. Anyway, I’ve heard Leather Honey will deep moisturize and may even darken a bit which may be a good thing. Want to be careful and try it just on the area. I prefer the deer bone over the spoon because it’s easier to wield and it contains waxes and oils. I’ve had good luck rubbing out scratches and find that you can move the color around that way. It wouldn’t hurt to use some like colored cordovan care cream I the area as well. Good luck, hope you can post pix with good results.

13. forex

I think I’ll try the VSC and deer bone, I spent a few minutes (watching a soccer game) and tried to deep clean with cloth and a lot of dirty came out, it looks much better but does appear to be dry and maybe some different moisturizer will be good. Thanks for suggestions!

14. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Distinguished Member

Truffle shell cordovan penny loafers
    20180621_120341.jpg

15. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Distinguished Member

Saphir Renomat is a stripper (and not the good kind). It should not be used regularly. Under normal situations, you may never need it.

Saphir Renovateur is a conditioning polish. Venetian Shoe Cream is essentially the same thing. These are great for regular maintenance.

Bick 4, Lexol conditioner, AE Cleaner Conditioner, etc are conditioners. This is what you need now - straight moisturizing conditioner.

Good luck!