• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mlopez

Reaction score
Brown shell AE MacNeils today.

View attachment 929500
Those are sweet looking shoes, I love my color 8 Macneils, and always wondered what some brown ones in Shell would look like. Next trunk show, .I'll look into getting some of these. How old are these? I only ask cause I'm wondering whether they are cappuccino or the more modern brown color.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are sweet looking shoes, I love my color 8 Macneils, and always wondered what some brown ones in Shell would look like. Next trunk show, .I'll look into getting some of these. How old are these? I only ask cause I'm wondering whether they are cappuccino or the more modern brown color.

Thanks. I do not know exactly when they were made, but they were an MTO shoe that got kicked to the shoe bank for some reason. I cannot find an issue with the shoe. I bought them in the last 6 months, so I would say they are a modern brown as opposed to something older. A sales associate found them for me during the last sale on shell seconds when they were $325. How could I say no?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a good pair of welted roper boots. Don’t know where to look to find proper fittings, though.

Sorry dude, i got distracted and didn’t answer your question this morning about a pair of roper’s.

The only place I know of in Northern Virginia is WJ Colts. They have a presence online, but it sounds like you want an in person approach. They are in Fairfax, Va if you’re down this way often.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20180222_092218.jpg

20180222_092802.jpg

20180222_090156.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burgundy shell Bradleys.

IMG_2693.jpg

smuj

Reaction score
xpost from the Tricker thread. I picked these Tricker's Roberts up off the bay the other day. Was just curious to see what the Comipel shell was like, as I only have Horween. Don't normally buy second hand but they were seemingly a bargain for a shoe that looks as though it has been worn about 4 times. Leather soles have little more than light scratching and aren't even broken in yet.

Regarding the shell, it seems very nice and not that different to the feel Horween after their first day out. More post tannery 'shiny product' applied than Carmina or C&J, but far less than Alden. I like. Does the usual shell colour pop in the sunshine and are generally a bit brighter than the Alden No8, as can be seen in the comparison with the LWB (although the LWB's are a few years old now and seem to be developing some browner notes)

Mlopez

Reaction score
xpost from the Tricker thread. I picked these Tricker's Roberts up off the bay the other day. Was just curious to see what the Comipel shell was like, as I only have Horween. Don't normally buy second hand but they were seemingly a bargain for a shoe that looks as though it has been worn about 4 times. Leather soles have little more than light scratching and aren't even broken in yet.

Regarding the shell, it seems very nice and not that different to the feel Horween after their first day out. More post tannery 'shiny product' applied than Carmina or C&J, but far less than Alden. I like. Does the usual shell colour pop in the sunshine and are generally a bit brighter than the Alden No8, as can be seen in the comparison with the LWB (although the LWB's are a few years old now and seem to be developing some browner notes)

Great shoes! I had to google search Comipel Shell just to catch up to speed. They look very similar to Vintage Florsheim PTBs in shell cordovan.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello friends, if you could have one boot or shoe in one color (or grain print) of shell cordovan, what would it be?

I’ve got crdit with a retailer, and I’m trying to come up with ideas for an MTO, and one consequence of approaching peak shoeowmership is that there really isn’t anything I need at this point.

Maker is Enzo Bonafe so sky’s the limit.

What say ye all?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello friends, if you could have one boot or shoe in one color (or grain print) of shell cordovan, what would it be?

I’ve got crdit with a retailer, and I’m trying to come up with ideas for an MTO, and one consequence of approaching peak shoeowmership is that there really isn’t anything I need at this point.

What say ye all?
Right this second, I'm leaning toward green...

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What say ye all?

My suggestion would be to something a little more practical. There is the recent football print color #4 chukka.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on a boot kick, but was looking at an Adelaide before AE shut down MTOs, so I'm kinda thinking something sleek such as a whole cut boot (like the red shell recently) or chelsae.

I don’t think they will try that in shell. I think it would look amazing in black calf, though, so that’s an option.

Chelsea maybe, though I do have a brown calf (how now brown cow) one that gets good use.

Also, I’m all set on oxfords!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t think they will try that in shell. I think it would look amazing in black calf, though, so that’s an option.

Chelsea maybe, though I do have a brown calf (how now brown cow) one that gets good use.

Also, I’m all set on oxfords!
Hmm. How about a medallion toe derby in green shell? I personally would like to have a taller boot than the standard Alden height.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics