• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cordovan Wingtips. (Sorry) I included one Alden. Alden for Brooks Bros #8, Crocket and Jones Marlow for RRL, EG Sandringham Midnight Navy.
we have identical wingtip wardrobes :bounce2:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we have identical wingtip wardrobes
bounce2.gif
I guess we best talk first before we end up at the same place with the same wingtip on.
rotflmao.gif

How the EG happened, is anybody's guess. LOL

By the way, I noticed this yesterday. I went through your blog yesterday.

By the way, of the 40 you keep do you have any you consider keepers, if so which ones?

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Process of experimentation and self-education. In general I aim for the best pair in the category and then once ive acquired it, I sell the lesser pairs (I used to hold on to all my shoes but the lesser pairs never got any wear so whats the point?) Once I acquired the EG Sandringham, I sold off a pair of trickers wingtips that I knew wouldnt get any wear. Or for example, if I have a calf wingtip version of a shoe, ill try and acquire the shell version before getting rid of the calf. Coincidentally, for every pair of EG I acquire, I get rid of 2 existing pairs from the collection. EG has become my favorite shoe brand, I think

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Process of experimentation and self-education. In general I aim for the best pair in the category and then once ive acquired it, I sell the lesser pairs (I used to hold on to all my shoes but the lesser pairs never got any wear so whats the point?) Once I acquired the EG Sandringham, I sold off a pair of trickers wingtips that I knew wouldnt get any wear. Or for example, if I have a calf wingtip version of a shoe, ill try and acquire the shell version before getting rid of the calf. Coincidentally, for every pair of EG I acquire, I get rid of 2 existing pairs from the collection. EG has become my favorite shoe brand, I think
This makes sense and it sounds like you have been at this for awhile. I on the other hand only started buying real nice shoes about a year ago. I found this site and I gradually and then very quickly started buying some nicer shoes. I've also been gravitating toward EG for a number of reasons. Their designs, lasts, and the way they burnish their shoes really appeals to me. I only have three pairs now, another on the way, and designs to get a couple more pairs that I know of at least now. However I also think I could see myself wearing nothing but Saint Crispin's if I had to choose one brand. I have only one pair so far, but another on the way. But since I have only been at this for tiny amount of time I am enjoying the journey for now. So getting a few from Alden, Crockett and Jones, Alfred Sargent, Vass, and John Lobb has been fun as well.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This makes sense and it sounds like you have been at this for awhile. I on the other hand only started buying real nice shoes about a year ago. I found this site and I gradually and then very quickly started buying some nicer shoes. I've also been gravitating toward EG for a number of reasons. Their designs, lasts, and the way they burnish their shoes really appeals to me. I only have three pairs now, another on the way, and designs to get a couple more pairs that I know of at least now. However I also think I could see myself wearing nothing but Saint Crispin's if I had to choose one brand.  I have only one pair so far, but another on the way. But since I have only been at this for tiny amount of time I am enjoying the journey for now. So getting a few from Alden, Crockett and Jones, Alfred Sargent,  Vass, and John Lobb has been fun as well.

Some of my favorites from the following brands:

Alden - stiched shell boots, i.e. indy and nst boots. Unlined ptb is awesome too
Crockett and Jones - the RL shell collection is some of the best bang for the buck youll find. I have the Lindrick, Marlow, and Penny. Also the BB peal shell boot is great on sale
Alfred Sargent - might be the best value
Vass - norweger and bluchers are exceptional. Contruction is one of the best
John Lobb - willam double monk is the ultimate double monk imo

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of my favorites from the following brands:

Alden - stiched shell boots, i.e. indy and nst boots. Unlined ptb is awesome too
Crockett and Jones - the RL shell collection is some of the best bang for the buck youll find. I have the Lindrick, Marlow, and Penny. Also the BB peal shell boot is great on sale
Alfred Sargent - might be the best value
Vass - norweger and bluchers are exceptional. Contruction is one of the best
John Lobb - willam double monk is the ultimate double monk imo
Alden - I currently have more than a few pairs. Besides the Alden for Brooks Bros, I have the #8 Captoe for JCrew which is the favorite of the ones that I own. The Indy Boot was my very first expensive shoe\boot and it is still a favorite as well. I have looked at the nst boots a number of times and may eventually get one.
Crockett and Jones - This was my first venture into the world of British shoes. The Lindrick was my first, and I decided shortly after that the Marlow was something I wanted as well.
Alfred Sargent - Even greater value when they were on sale, and I have been lucky enough to get two of my three this way. The first one I saw that I really wanted bad was the Miller MTO, of course your aware that I eventually purchased this one. The Radwell was my first purchase however, and this came out at the time I was looking for a Chukka. I decided it was time to kill to birds with one stone. I like their fiddle waist, and I may very well purchase some more.
Vass- I only have the Old English II, but I have often given some thought to getting a norweger.
John Lobb - For me it was a toss up between the William and William II, I went with the William II in Black calf. They make the best looking double monks.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, could someone please help me and explain why EG's are so desirable? I've never had a pair on feet and I'm quite clueless as to their allure. Thanks.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Owners of EGs can go on about the superior quality, superb classic styling, exceptional fit, etc, but there is nothing like holding an EG and admiring a near flawless piece of craftsmanship. I didn't really appreciate it until I purchased my first pair. This is when I owned 15 or so pairs of Alden. In the last year, that number has changed to about 5-6 Alden and 5-6 EG

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Owners of EGs can go on about the superior quality, superb classic styling, exceptional fit, etc, but there is nothing like holding an EG and admiring a near flawless piece of craftsmanship. I didn't really appreciate it until I purchased my first pair. This is when I owned 15 or so pairs of Alden. In the last year, that number has changed to about 5-6 Alden and 5-6 EG
I could not have said it any better. I also have had the similar experience. My first real good quality shoes were from Allen Edmonds and Alden. However since experiencing shoes from makers like Vass, Edward Green, and Saint Crispin's these are the ones I choose to purchase now. They all to include Allen Edmonds make nice shoes, however Vass, Edward Green, and St Crispin's are in a different league in regards to material, design, and craftsmanship. The difference for me has been from wearing really nice shoes to now wearing works of art.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace some extraneous Alden boots/shoes with EG myself. I have never really thought of Alden/Allen Edmond/Church's as competitors to Edward Green. At the end of the day, Edward Green (and makers like them like Lobb or St Crispin or whoever) simply make a better finished product. That is reflected in the price differential. However, as I accumulate a bunch of Alden shoes and as Alden shoes become more expensive, one begins to wonder if it makes more sense to buy two or three cordovan Aldens or just get an EG MTO. One thing Alden has and likely will continue to have an advantage in is the variety and availability of cordovan and chromexcel.

There are some styles (like a black captoe) that a shoemaker like EG will just do better. You could say the same for Alden in some models (their wingtip bal for BB has become my go to business shoe, I love their NSTs, saddles tassels and the Indy boot is of course a classic). But instead of chasing rare cordovan colors in various shoes, it may just make sense to get EG to make exactly what you want in a reasonable timeline.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something more casual.

Rancourt Ranger Mocs #8 cordovan.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my collection of burgundy shells. I've began a fascination with vintage shells by old American shoe makers.

Starting from noon and going clockwise; J&M Tassel; Bostonian PTB; Stuart McGuire half-strap; Hanover LWB.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my collection of burgundy shells. I've began a fascination with vintage shells by old American shoe makers.

Starting from noon and going clockwise; J&M Tassel; Bostonian PTB; Stuart McGuire half-strap; Hanover LWB.

They all look like they are in excellent condition.

I would take it they are all second hand?

Did any of these need any refinishing work, or just new soles?

Very nice.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads