1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. katch

katch Senior member

They look great. If by any chance you are a 10D and feel the need to get rid of them give me a shout

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Cross post from the vintage shoe thread.

Florsheim PTB in black shell. The style number and age of the shoes is not known as it is not a standard style number. This likely means it was a special make up at some point. In any case, they are not common. @davidvc says they are rare on the wonderful vcleat.com blog. I think this is true as this was the first and only pair I encountered on Ebay, especially in my EEE size.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Looking good Doc! Incidentally what kind of doc are you? Just noticing your library there.

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Chiropractor with a board specialty in chiropractic orthopedics. I do quite a bit of consulting and teaching these days.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  5. peppercorn78

very cool. I was a weekly chiropractic patient for 3 years to manage chronic disc pain until having ACDF on my C5-C8. The surgery cured my pain and I haven't visited since, although perhaps I could use a visit now (almost a year post-op, and I've used up all my insurance-approved PT) to get the kinks out.

6. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Carmina bourbon shell jodhpurs today. The best.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. peppercorn78

glorious. looks like you were one of the lucky ones who got a frankenstein free pair.

8. sdfzs

sdfzs Senior member

Carmina dark cognac jumbers today on the Oscar last. Getting light enough for a morning snap up close to the north pole but apologies nonetheless for the bad light conditions.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

What do y'all use to condition/moisturize dry shell. I have a pair of Cappucino shell Dundee (AE) that look terrible by the rolls on the vamp. Tried VSC last night. Usually does the trick but had no effect.

10. MansardRoof

MansardRoof Well-Known Member

I use deer bone to smooth out the rough areas and creases, followed up with intense brushing, buffing with a flannel cloth, application of Saphir Cordovan cream, more brushing, then final buff.

[​IMG]

11. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

I use saphir renovateur and it seems to do a good job with dry areas.

12. peppercorn78

I've found that AE she'll tends to start out looking dry, but after about 20-30 wears glosses up pretty nicely.

I did use some lexol and VSC on some brown derbies at one point. It seemed to hydrate ok. I seem to remember someone in the Alden thread two years ago claiming Saphir dubben grasse works well in creases, but I've never tried it.

My Carmina shells are driest of all. I'm going to wait and see if the leather breaks in with wear like my AE shells before trying any product.

1 person likes this.
  13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I have a Saphir leather conditioner and Saphir cordovan cream that I use on my shell. May try the lexol next.

14. katch

katch Senior member

I put trees in them, use the deer bone on them somewhat vigorously and spread some Saphir Renovatour on. Next, brush brush brush..

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Thanks for the tips everyone! [​IMG]

16. youtubs

youtubs Senior member

Navy Shell today.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gentlemen,

Remember when you condition your shells, especially with VSC or Saphir, that you work the product vigorously into the leather and let it sit overnight.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  18. katch

katch Senior member

@watchman1 - any reason? I work it in and brush it within 5-10 mins. Depending on how many pair i'm doing

19. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Letting them sit overnight gives the nourishing properties of the VSC and/or Saphir enough time to properly penetrate the dense porous structure of the cordovan, thus producing maximum effect.

This advice was first given to me personally by Skip Horween.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    4 people like this.
  20. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

FWIW, if you need to wear them immediately no harm or loss.

I regularly use the apply and brush in 15 min strategy.

But we are talking about a whole different animal when you are trying to cure cordovan dryness.

I have cured cordovan dryness on the darker shades with the product known as; "Leather Honey"

Nevertheless, I would not dare to put LH on whiskey, ravello, cognac, saddle etc because you run the risk of permanently darkening the shade.

Curing cordovan dryness on the lighter shades of cordovan is whole different beast. A conversation for another time.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.