1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jhcam8, Oct 2, 2011.

1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

E Leeds in cappuccino shell on double butyl. MTO from a few years ago.

[​IMG]

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I jumped in the shell pool with these vintage Florsheims. It took me months to find them in my size. Now for an open question to the forum. Does anyone know how to determine approximately when a Florsheim was made from the numbers on the inside of the shoe? I would love to find a resource on this to help determine the age of the shoes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

After some digging I found an informative site that discusses determining the age of Florsheim shoes. That information led me to conclude these shoes were most likely made in February 1990. They look pretty good for being 26 years old.

1 person likes this.
  4. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

I think I may have have possibly bid against you on ebay for those shoes @smfdoc

Congrats on the purchase they are beautiful.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Thanks for the link on Florsheim dating. Might need a black light or something to see the numbers in the shoe, they're so old and worn off....

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Hmmm, probably not the same pair. These were listed less than an hour and I did not see any bids yet. I just paid the buy it now price because it took so long to find them I was afraid someone else would just purchase them if I only made a bid. Now that they are here I know I really made the correct decision.

1 person likes this.
  7. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

Yep must not have been the same... I bid up to 200 and was outbid for a pristine set. I will keep searching... :)

8. sdfzs

sdfzs Senior member

Did some maintenance today and i'm yet again stunned of the beauty in my Carmina jumpers. About a year's worth of wear on these now and these just gets more beautiful as they get used.

Cognac cordovan by the box, dark cognac by everything else in cognac that i compare to. Snatched from Carmina's Barcelona stora where they for some crazy reason had a few cordovan jumpers on sale...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

[​IMG]

New Rancourt shells. Already contemplating another order.

2 people like this.
  10. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Did you get the caramel boat shoes lined, or no?

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Marlow Pennys in their usual hangout spot, under my desk:

[​IMG]

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

I am considering some burgundy shell Leeds from Allen Edmonds. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with these shoes? I would love to hear opinions both pro and con.

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I only wish it was on a sleeker last. The shell is a little dry on my pair too.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Leeds is a fine shoe. Possibly less iconic than the Alden version, but a little less expensive, and still classic. The 511 last fits me quite well, much better than Alden Barrie, so if I were to personally to choose between them, I would go with Leeds, although Alden is a little bit higher quality product.

In fact, I would probably get a Leeds if I didn't already have a Carmina shell PTB. Although in a general sense I would always recommend Alden shell over AE, fit is the most important factor. CJ makes a nice shell PTB too, though more expensive and less easy to get your hands on.

Good luck!

15. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

For the extra $44 I would buy the Alden 990. I have had a lot of pairs of shell footwear, and Alden does shell far better than AE does.

16. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

17. peppercorn78

There's something to be said for how long it takes Alden to make even stock items. I special ordered a stock 975 LWB in color 8 in my size back in July, and should probably receive a pair that fits around May. But it's gonna be worth it. :)

18. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Patience is a virtue in the shoe game. In my experience, I regret pulling the trigger on things I only sort of liked, only to sell them at a loss down the road when what I really wanted came along.

1 person likes this.
  19. peppercorn78

Yeah, I agree.

20. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Been there.