• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the SF streetwear uniform

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was reading Manton's thread about groupthink aesthetic over in Men's Clothing. I think most MC forumites would agree that the SF "dressed-up" uniform consists of a RLBL suit, a french-cuff white dress shirt w/ spread collar, a dark knit tie, and brown AE's.

Over here in SW&D, we seem to have a lot more variation in style. However, I wonder if there's some sort of consensus on what the basic, "default," "easy" fit would be accepted by most/all of the SW&D crowd.

I was thinking something like chucks/CP's, APC NS's, AA tee/BoO buttondown/Sterlingwear peacoat.

What are your thoughts?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm bored and don't feel like going to bed or doing my math homework just yet.

(ergo, I asked).

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
I was thinking something like chucks/CP's, APC NS's, AA tee/BoO buttondown/Sterlingwear peacoat.
Maybe some sort of M65 instead of the peacoat and Jacky P's in the shoe category, but you pretty much nailed it. Kinda like the Supreme x 19cm MIJ x Vans SuFu uniform of yore. Now those were the days...

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ergo, I asked).
Ahem, Ergo, rogabam. (IIRC) I like interrogabam more though.

MortyGras

Reaction score
One of the high guys in the "think out of the box regarding clothes" thread mentioned the oxford, slimming jeans and desert boots.
Nailed me completely.
And i don't even have desert boots!

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
Ahem,
Ergo, rogabam. (IIRC)
I like interrogabam more though.

Oh man, I'm having lots of Latin conversations on SF today for some reason.

rogabam would be "I was asking."
rogavi would be "I asked."

you could also go with quaesivi.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the "uniform" you've posted is more apptly described as "general advice given to newbies". There may be certain underlying principles or sources of inspiration that are constant across the board but I don't think that has resulted in a SF uniform. I would say that most of the regular posters in the WAYWN thread have a customized look.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Throwin this question out there....what if the general public started wearing the "SF uniform" or even stores such as Abercrombie and Fitch or Hollister started promoting the "SF uniform" style.

Would the "SF uniform" continue to be the recommendation for people just starting out into getting in fashion? Or would it then be looked down upon since it would have become mainstream?

brohymn

Reaction score
It's already looked down upon by the fashion forum elite.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
Throwin this question out there....what if the general public started wearing the "SF uniform" or even stores such as Abercrombie and Fitch or Hollister started promoting the "SF uniform" style.

Would the "SF uniform" continue to be the recommendation for people just starting out into getting in fashion? Or would it then be looked down upon since it would have become mainstream?

That's a rather cynical way of looking at it. In the end, the SF newb outfit really is about fit, with the operant consideration being that most mainstream labels fit like ass.

That said, I have T shirts from American Eagle and Target that fit me better than any AA tee, and I would hope I wouldn't incur the opprobrium of the SF hivemind were they to surface in a WAYWT.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I think the "uniform" you've posted is more apptly described as "general advice given to newbies". There may be certain underlying principles or sources of inspiration that are constant across the board but I don't think that has resulted in a SF uniform. I would say that most of the regular posters in the WAYWN thread have a customized look.

+111

It's not what many long time posters actually wear, but it's a good base for people who previously only wore whatever oversized stuff they happened to come out of the mall with. After learning to find flattering pieces that fit well and are safe stylistically, you can break away, experiment with things, and try to develop outfits that have style as opposed to outfits that simply fit well.

Seanallen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy

I have to agree, when I first joined I took a bit of advice and I basically got into the AA, Chucks, and Apc look. Now after being on here for a bit longer I have seem to gotten my own style.

Originally Posted by chronoaug
+111

It's not what many long time posters actually wear, but it's a good base for people who previously only wore whatever oversized stuff they happened to come out of the mall with. After learning to find flattering pieces that fit well and are safe stylistically, you can break away, experiment with things, and try to develop outfits that have style as opposed to outfits that simply fit well.

Nail on the head.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I'm having lots of Latin conversations on SF today for some reason.

rogabam would be "I was asking."
rogavi would be "I asked."

you could also go with quaesivi.

Ah yes, you are correct. It hasn't even been a year and I have forgotten all of the basics!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads