• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SF Brazillian Jiujitsu Thread - fans, competitors, filthy casuals, all are welcome

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
" I oversee the art of Jiu-Jitsu with affection, steady nerves and blood. "

Being a good black belt was always the goal, always the learner. Never abuse the position of power I've found myself in, constantly look for ways to encourage and empower the next generation.

I'm hoping to win a championship this year in Masters, as well as try to win trials.
Trials are crazy man. I’ve trained with/been cannon fodder for enough elite players to know that there are levels to this game, and my level looks like Damien Andersen’s level against Craig “just get up” Jones, against the guys who have a shot at ADCC.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trials are crazy man. I’ve trained with/been cannon fodder for enough elite players to know that there are levels to this game, and my level looks like Damien Andersen’s level against Craig “just get up” Jones, against the guys who have a shot at ADCC.

Even getting a few rounds deep and padding that HL reel would be pretty amazing tbh.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even getting a few rounds deep and padding that HL reel would be pretty amazing tbh.
Or you darce Kade Ruotolo to take gold, then half guard pressure pass Gordon and finish with a smother submission in absolute.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bat signal out to @razorfrazer - I been using the Octopus guard a lot recently it's good against the half guard smash, which is once more in style after years of explosive guard passing - thank you Gordon Ryan and John Danaher.

The reach around grip, especially in gi, with a nice grip on the far lapel end makes that little hip bump sweep that Craig Jones likes particularly effective, asnd there is also that back chase. That said, when going with other brown belts and black belts, especially, I sometimes get into a shootout battle - Octopus guard vs wedging backtake or truck.

The positions are basically symmetrical if you have the same side leg, just with a top and bottom, but some guys seem able to bolo me or at least force me to slam my back to the ground to avoid the backtake even with the far side leg (traditional Octopus guard), and I find that if I lock down the leg and drive it parallel with my upper body, the counters are most shut down since they can't point the knee correctly toward my head to get my hips oriented properly.

I've tried to find some resources on these positions, but I've not really seen these counters really addressed anywhere, though they seem natural enough against each other. Have you ever encountered this yourself or seen it?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty acustomed to wedging backtakes, the crossbody ride (truck), etc from that position. I try and avoid a backtake shootout from the crossbody ride ill work the wedge to death before i switch hooks to half back or boots in.

How are they boloing you? Keeping back flat is okay to stop it but it doesnt stop them from coming up on top in relatively good passing positions. I’ll usually look to just create distance with thumb posts and build my base up to avoid bolo (if you can build base during these exchanges the chances of you taking their back is much higher) or i’ll try and take a deep ankle grip and suck them into a deep ashi garami of some sort.

The bolo players who throw their knee lines past yours are giving up position for leg locks. Crab ride type bolo players are way harder to counter / deal with.

What are you gripping in the Gi with the reacharound grip?
I usually am able to work all the way up to sitting position leaning forward, so I have at that point built up more height than my opponents, and the sweep is coming, or if they goin inverted, there is a back take there. In the gi, I have the wrap around grip and am gripping the lapel at the bottom of their jacket, to prevent them from rolling.
and trying to force them to expose more of their back to my chest. I'm not sure how some are still able to get halfway through a bolo on me so that sometimes I have to slam my back to the ground and yes, give up a pretty good passsing position.

I'm having some difficulty understanding what this would look like that you say that you do: "i’ll try and take a deep ankle grip and suck them into a deep ashi garami of some sort." This is from the octopus guard? Or some other position?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i recall seeing choke outs where the dude didn't realize it even after the fact but idk.
This happens on a semi-regular basis in tournaments. He was probably not completely out, but semi-out, which happens even during demos.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens on a semi-regular basis in tournaments. He was probably not completely out, but semi-out, which happens even during demos.
Seeing him semi-choked out would give me a semi...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing him semi-choked out would give me a semi...
He might not even be lying. Sometimes, it's hard to recognize, especially if the officials are doing their job. You never lose consciousness, but you might not even know that your body has shut down at least partially. The match is called done, and you remain seated or even prone, for just a few seconds, nursinf your L, which always sucks, and the ref might say something like "It's over, you're alright", and by that time, 10-15 seconds have passed, and you can get get up reasonably well, not even recognizing that 10 seconds ago, you would have prettty much fallen straight back down or not been able to get to your feel at all.

Honestly, the best way for beginners to practice is with the supervision of a more experienced person, and even with that, tap early. If the choke ore strangle is locked in, and your really don't have any intelligent defense left, tap. As you get more experienced, you will know better and better where your limits really are at. Competitions, let the ref do their job and look after you. They are typicaly the more impartial and people in the room. If they say that you were done, you were probably done. Do refs screw up sometimes? Sure. But as a white belt, trust a black or brown belt (as refs typically are) do their job and know what is going on better than do you.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He might not even be lying. Sometimes, it's hard to recognize, especially if the officials are doing their job. You never lose consciousness, but you might not even know that your body has shut down at least partially. The match is called done, and you remain seated or even prone, for just a few seconds, nursinf your L, which always sucks, and the ref might say something like "It's over, you're alright", and by that time, 10-15 seconds have passed, and you can get get up reasonably well, not even recognizing that 10 seconds ago, you would have prettty much fallen straight back down or not been able to get to your feel at all.

Honestly, the best way for beginners to practice is with the supervision of a more experienced person, and even with that, tap early. If the choke ore strangle is locked in, and your really don't have any intelligent defense left, tap. As you get more experienced, you will know better and better where your limits really are at. Competitions, let the ref do their job and look after you. They are typicaly the more impartial and people in the room. If they say that you were done, you were probably done. Do refs screw up sometimes? Sure. But as a white belt, trust a black or brown belt (as refs typically are) do their job and know what is going on better than do you.
But what about a blue belt? Much like the chess thread event, I just watched another YouTube clip last night that's relevant to the current discussion.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But what about a blue belt? Much like the chess thread event, I just watched another YouTube clip last night that's relevant to the current discussion.

lol - I mean, it's good to stay humble, because there are levels to this game, and you are probably on a low level. The scariest to roll with are the 14 year olds who have been practicing since they were 6. Like, roll with them technically and be a good mentor, because when they are 17, they are going to remember how you treated them when before they had their man strength.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I got completely hammered by my coach. who is a high level black belt and Brazilian judo champion, so that was expected. however, I also got completely swept and bpdy lock passed by a new black belt who I used to be pretty even with. he is 80 lbs heavier, but still, I felt like I should have been demoted back to purple belt. I felt that maybe I should be demoted down to blue belt when a gigantic white belt (270 lbs) wrestler nearly passed my guard, and I could not invert to his legs. Just way to muc pressure even though he had no head control at all. Everyone has crap days at practice, and this was one of those.

I could blame my shoulder injury, but I am not sure that if my shoulder was 100%, that I would have done significantly better.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
« We learn little from victory, much from defeat »
Japanese proverb

admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Today I got completely hammered by my coach. who is a high level black belt and Brazilian judo champion, so that was expected. however, I also got completely swept and bpdy lock passed by a new black belt who I used to be pretty even with. he is 80 lbs heavier, but still, I felt like I should have been demoted back to purple belt. I felt that maybe I should be demoted down to blue belt when a gigantic white belt (270 lbs) wrestler nearly passed my guard, and I could not invert to his legs. Just way to muc pressure even though he had no head control at all. Everyone has crap days at practice, and this was one of those.

I could blame my shoulder injury, but I am not sure that if my shoulder was 100%, that I would have done significantly better.

My professional recommendation is to eat 500% more cake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads