• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The SF Martial Arts Thread

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
What is a good compliment to kenpo karate? I feel like jujitsu is rough on my shoulder which has been torn for 3 years and my back, which has some chronic issues over the past few months
If you have shoulder pain (or any other), i think Chinese 'Internal' arts would be a great complement:
Taijiquan (Tai chi Chuan).
Bagua Zhang or XinYi Quan if you want a more challenging practice.
You also have the Japanese Tai Ki Ken (inspired by Chinese arts, but the creator was also a strong practitioner of Kendo and Judo).

I practice Tai Chi Chuan for ten years. At first i did it as a good Kendo complement, and now i'm only practicing Tai Chi Chuan (Tung family, Yang style).

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy you'll love this request ;)

What would you advise a recent father thinking of taking up judo or BJJ? (happy with either, I'll go with the stronger closer gym)

What is the injury rate like in either sports? How do you avoid the type that takes you out for days?

How do you pick a gym?

At what point do you know enough that you can teach your kids (or practice with them, at any rate) and is it a good idea? At what age can they start? Mix in a hitting art (e.g. TKD) or keep it pure to practice more hours per week?

I've always admired judo. It has a quiet and efficient global community, well run championships including olympics (the first olympian I heard about was a judoka), it gives me an excuse to visit Japan occasionally... OTOH there's some MMA guys in my extended family doing BJJ and it looks like a more recent version of the same, in terms of culture, plus fight bros. Curious to hear your thoughts.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you take a watch on the mat? It seems like quite an unpleasant thing to your sparring partner... a big metal thing stuck up their nose or across their throat, a chance for cuts instead of mere bruises, etc.

For all sports these days I use my Mi Band, it costs $30 so easy to replace if broken (good excuse for an upgrade to next gen), slips off if you pull hard enough (unlike the G shock) and small enough not to bump. But I'd take it off on the mat ;)

If you do not care about size the Darth Tuna is probably as tough as it gets, and unlike the so called Sea Dweller (where "sea" is the name given by the owner to his desk) it is actually used by some saturation divers on oil platforms etc. A lot cheaper than an Explorer too.

Thanks for the detailed replies. I did selfishly indulge your willingness to share and generosity, but I'm sure you enjoyed it too. I wonder if kids prefer striking arts - much more spectacular in the courtyard, and can be demo'ed without hurting your friends.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I took up judo when I was younger for a good base. Now that I'm older I feel that BJJ is lower impact (as Fok said you still have to be smart)

I feel that BJJ transcends so many other martial arts. I had a TKD background and am pretty athletic and strong - and had my eyes opened when I rolled with a 55 year old brown belt that weighed 140 lbs wet. Looked like he never worked out a day in his life, super nice and mellow IT guy. he HANDED my ass to me with just technique.. I was so happy that day because it really reinforced how impressive BJJ is. And that brown belt was just a weekend warrior. There are just LEVELs to everyone.

both of my girls are going to do mandatory BJJ. if they're high blue belts or purples, dad will sleep a lot better once they're in college.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if each generation there is a popular sport that collects most of the good people, and as a result becomes the place you want to train, regardless of the "theory", because that is where you will learn. Boxing (post-war), then karate in the 70s-80s, whatever flavour of kung fu, then judo, now BJJ...

Part of picking BJJ/judo is the wide adoption and popularity and well established standards that emerged from decades of running global championships. So one day I can be the old weekend warrior ;) or just have a long road ahead with plenty of folks to learn from no matter the country.

Fok, feel free to ramble some more. Don't worry, the martial artists in my family do it often. I quite enjoy the stories. If you enjoy telling them it's win win... this is what this thread is for after all.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
2) Try to choose a school where the head instructor practices with his (it's 99% his) students and teaches classes, or has other high level practitioners who teach classes. Students at all levels get a lot from high level instruction. Also, if an instructor won't train with his own students, unless he is old and/or injured, both distinct possibilities, it sometimes points towards insecurities and ego problems. Even the best practitioners, if they are good instructors, are going to have students that will at some point challenge or even regularly beat them. That should not bother the instructor. After all, that means that he's done a good job. But not everyone is a good instructor... or leader.
This cannot be stressed enough

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes that was the joke. But to be fair many fighters do get creative with their origin story. Kimura himself, from his book, was no angel:
"When I was in the 7th grade, my older brother came home crying, saying that he got bitten by dogs. The next night, I went out for revenge. I found mid-size three dogs at a storage of a geisha house that was about 50 meters away from my house. They were the enemies. I called them one by one with a whistle, and kicked it with a geta (wooden sandal) by full force. When I passed by the storage, all the 3 dogs were covered with a bandage."

But it's likely that Kimura's idea of judo was closer to MMA than today's (European, MMA-outlawing) IJF, he even called Helio "judo 6th dan". Aside from practicing multiple styles anyway ("After dinner, I did 500 push-ups, bunny hop 1km, and Makiwara strikes of karate 500 times") he got involved in street fights, some involving knives:
"took out a jack knife from a pocket, and suddenly thrust it at my abdominal area. I thought I evaded it successfully, but the knife got to my buttock. He got on a bicycle, and started to run away. I also ran after him while bleeding from the buttock"
"We glared at each other over a distance of about 1 meter. He then suddenly pulled out a Tanto (short sword), and thrust it forward at me. I evaded it, grabbed him, and threw him hard onto the ground. Now, in this state, he is no match to me."

Re: aggressivity (and related), you can probably activate it through intense stress, the question is whether you want to. Patton reversed the course of the North African theatre in part by having his troops train under identical conditions in the US. They hated it at the time, but once facing Rommel, were already adapted and harder to rout. This was interesting because different from the modern approach which tries to weed out the unfit ahead of joining the unit - he was training everyone, needed to make everyone useful.

But will your daughters really face those kind of conditions in the future? A friend who had just returned from one of the "unofficial" African theatres was waiting for me downstairs my building, and as I approached from the (glass) door, I watched as, waiting, he was continuously scanning the car park, probably out of habit. In Singapore, where the worst thing that can happen to you is a mosquito bite, and even that is being taken care of by the government. Peace of mind is nice too...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats