The Serious Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, May 24, 2013.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

It's not about being mean spirited. It's about not pulling punches. If I think something is bollocks I will say it's bollocks. I'm not going to be mean spirited and insult a person's mother, but I will not pull punches about clothes in this thread.

2. Caustic Man

As will I.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Just a quick question: would it be possible to moderate a thread in order to delete comments that are too far off topic? (I understand the irony of making an off topic post about off topic posts)

4. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Fine. Here we go again.

White collared shirts are on the most formal end of the business formal spectrum. Hence, they should never, ever be worn with odd jackets. Also, these sort of shirt stripes (broadly spaced thin white ones on a blue foreground) shouldn't be worn casually either.

Non-linen squares should never, ever be folded. I realize many have convinced themselves this is some sort of eccentric foo-pinion, but it is simply true and a matter of good sense. If your square is silk or wool, it will not hold a crisp edge when folded, which is why you fold anything, so you shouldn't fold them. See my blog for instructions on what you should do.

Jacket fit needs lots of help, but maybe you knew that. Take a look at the collar gap, for starters.

5. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

I didn't mean to suggest you were. I meant that in a general sense.

6. Caustic Man

Personally I would leave deletion as a last resort. I'd remind posters what the thread is for, but discussion is encouraged. However, yes, I think way off topic posts should be deleted.

7. mafoofan

That is what Whnay.'s Good Taste Thread was. Certain DH's were given moderation authority there. Didn't matter. People just cried about it until all the DH's said fuck it and left.

8. Caustic Man

Your critiques will be well received here. [​IMG]

Also, how about rating him? heh.

9. Caustic Man

I got ya, no worries bro.

10. Caustic Man

That will NOT happen here so long as I am around.

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Last edited: May 30, 2013

12. mafoofan

A certain somebody also wrote a very helpful guide for pattern-matching . . .

13. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

Thank you Mr. Mafoofan for the critique. The shirt is obviously one of the worst ideas I have ever had and I shall drown it immediately upon getting home this evening. Regarding the square, this is a very thick, heavy silk that I swear could stand on an end by itself, so I can't get a good poof or swirl out of it.

Fit is tough. I thrift nearly everything. I will be a bespoke client in the future so I can't justify retail. The issues are noted and my tailor will be visited.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Maybe Caustic Man could post a couple of essential guides in the first post? The squarefail one springs to mind as well. However, we shouldn't turn this into just a newbie thread, as more senior members could use some serious advice as well at times. I think leaving good taste out of the title, and making it just about advice might help to prevent some of the aforementioned problems.

15. mafoofan

I didn't say you should get rid of the shirt. It just has limited application. It's not a bad shirt, per se.

Unless the square is unusually large, it ought to poof just fine. If the only way it can be worn is folded, it shouldn't be worn.