1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Send Connemara to CSE Fund

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

My British grandparents always said the Irish were lazy. [​IMG]
    And what little they have they waste on drink! [​IMG]

2. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I was wondering what C's historical heros would have thought of this letter? I can't imagine that C would make a good terrorist if you can't be bothered to get his hands dirty or take a grayhound.

I dunno, seems like a good Patrick Pearse type to me: lots of populist rhetoric and bravado, but then the Easter Rising comes and you see he doesn't care about imposing costs on other people, he just wants to look like a big shot by making a grand declaration on the steps of the Post Office after hundreds of others sacrificed themselves to stage that moment. But hey, acting Irish is really cool, even if you're a lifelong American with only Irish ancestry to claim! The kids seem to love that Flogging Molly band, and Irish car bombs are a blast to drink, especially when you do it on Saint Paddy's Day with a pint of green-dyed Guinness!

Well maybe since he's already got his ticket, a book of Sean O'Casey plays might be a better donation. The Plough and the Stars and Juno and the Paycock are two good tragedies that show why the "Rah Rah Ireland" gimmick is not only annoying, but dangerous.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Of course, hotel rooms in NYC generally run well above $140/night. Perhaps one of SF's NYC members can offer to host for two nights. [​IMG]

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I dunno, seems like a good Patrick Pearse type to me: lots of populist rhetoric and bravado, but then the Easter Rising comes and you see he doesn't care about imposing costs on other people, he just wants to look like a big shot by making a grand declaration on the steps of the Post Office after hundreds of others sacrificed themselves to stage that moment. But hey, acting Irish is really cool, even if you're a lifelong American with only Irish ancestry to claim! The kids seem to love that Flogging Molly band, and Irish car bombs are a blast to drink, especially when you do it on Saint Paddy's Day with a pint of green-dyed Guinness!

Well maybe since he's already got his ticket, a book of Sean O'Casey plays might be a better donation. The Plough and the Stars and Juno and the Paycock are two good tragedies that show why the "Rah Rah Ireland" gimmick is not only annoying, but dangerous.

[​IMG]

5. Patrick Bateman

Of course, hotel rooms in NYC generally run well above $140/night. Perhaps one of SF's NYC members can offer to host for two nights. [​IMG]
    Perhaps some "discounted" rooms are available from generous older men on craigslist. [​IMG]

What about meals? We haven't even gotten to that.

Maybe beg on the subway. I'd certainly give a buck to any bum wearing a Harris tweed and a Fair Isle sweater vest. [​IMG]

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Perhaps some "discounted" rooms are available from generous older men on craigslist. [​IMG]
    Sounds like to me you're volunteering your place. [​IMG]

7. Patrick Bateman

Sounds like to me you're volunteering your place. [​IMG]
    LOL, that wouldn't fit my very strict criteria. Not my type at all.

8. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I dunno, seems like a good Patrick Pearse type to me: lots of populist rhetoric and bravado, but then the Easter Rising comes and you see he doesn't care about imposing costs on other people, he just wants to look like a big shot by making a grand declaration on the steps of the Post Office after hundreds of others sacrificed themselves to stage that moment. But hey, acting Irish is really cool, even if you're a lifelong American with only Irish ancestry to claim! The kids seem to love that Flogging Molly band, and Irish car bombs are a blast to drink, especially when you do it on Saint Paddy's Day with a pint of green-dyed Guinness! Well maybe since he's already got his ticket, a book of Sean O'Casey plays might be a better donation. The Plough and the Stars and Juno and the Paycock are two good tragedies that show why the "Rah Rah Ireland" gimmick is not only annoying, but dangerous.
    You're a royal dick. Pearse was not trying to stage anything, he believed in his cause and was quite willing to die for it. Don't sully his memory with your stupid humor (that isn't even funny). I've said this about 600 times: I'm not the usual Irish American prick who you describe. Nor am I "Rah Rah Ireland", which frankly doesn't make much sense...you're saying I shouldn't have pride in my heritage? Whatever. Piss off.

9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I was wondering what C's historical heros would have thought of this letter? I can't imagine that C would make a good terrorist if you can't be bothered to get his hands dirty or take a grayhound.

I'd ask that you take that rude, combative and libelous comment back. Comparing me to terrorists is uncalled for.

10. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Well, Mike, sure looks like it was worth it to spend time with these wonderful people.

11. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

Btw, Connie, from Syracuse, you could have easily taken a bus, no? As a college student your time's not as valuable.

Kids today, so soft.

actually a bus wouldn't really be that much cheaper, i think. I remember taking a bus about half that distance north from NYC a couple years ago and it was like $36 for a one-way.

but yeah this is really pitiful. can't really believe a dude that can afford to go out to bars and wear fancy clothing can't afford a $140 ticket. That's like 1 or 2 or 3 articles of clothing you could have foregone.

it's so easy to get a job in college, and there is absolutely no undergraduate curriculum that is so hard you can't get a job for (like someone above said) like 2 weekends at mcdonald's or something.

12. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

My British grandparents always said the Irish were lazy. [​IMG]
    And what little they have they waste on drink! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I wouldn't have accepted that ticket--it's not even Business Class.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Is that better or worse than modelling semi-sheer Swiss underwear in front of internet message board members? [​IMG]
    Or hosiery....[​IMG]

15. Patrick Bateman

Or hosiery....[​IMG]
    Or pyjamas. [​IMG]

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Or pyjamas. [​IMG]
    What a perfect venue--a hotel room.[​IMG]

17. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Enjoy the CSE Connemara!

I've got something out of this thread. I'm going to borrow the following quote from globetrotter and use it for a sig for a while.
    \t

globetrotter 2-2-07

18. globetrotter

I'd ask that you take that rude, combative and libelous comment back. Comparing me to terrorists is uncalled for.

well, yes and no. the terrorists that I have known have been industrious, hard working and proud people who happen to murder innocent people. but they weren't lazy.

but I am confused - I thought that you made heros out of people that others might consider terrorists. if that is not the case. please do accept my apology.

19. Patrick Bateman

What a perfect venue--a hotel room.[​IMG]
    The Regency is perfect for such an assignation. In addition to the discreet staff, the lobby is very small and the number of "loiterers" minimal. One can probably walk from entrace to elevator bank in about 5 seconds.

20. globetrotter

Enjoy the CSE Connemara!

I've got something out of this thread. I'm going to borrow the following quote from globetrotter and use it for a sig for a while.
    \t

globetrotter 2-2-07

glad to be of assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.