The semiotics of "Sent from my iPhone."

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Sazerac, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

A recent debate erupted in my household about the "Sent from my iPhone" notation that appears at the bottom of emails sent from, um, iPhones.

Someone argued that it was a form of free advertising for Apple. I agreed but pointed out that the "sent from my (device)" actually conveys useful information. That is, if you receive a short one-line (or even one word) e-mail from, say, your boss, it can come off as brusque. However, if you see that it was sent from a mobile device, it means that you're receiving a sort of improvised on-the-go response that excuses its brevity.

Personally, I changed my iPhone sig to read "sent from a mobile device" so that my short replies could be excused but I wasn't blatantly promoting Apple.

What say you? Is "sent from my iPhone" all right to leave on your email sig?

2. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

no. it looks stupid. i have mine set as "sent via mobile device". I could have put the whole "please ignore spelling errors" or whatever, but too long and dochey.

3. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

A recent debate erupted in my household about the "Sent from my iPhone" notation that appears at the bottom of emails sent from, um, iPhones.

Someone argued that it was a form of free advertising for Apple. I agreed but pointed out that the "sent from my (device)" actually conveys useful information. That is, if you receive a short one-line (or even one word) e-mail from, say, your boss, it can come off as brusque. However, if you see that it was sent from a mobile device, it means that you're receiving a sort of improvised on-the-go response that excuses its brevity.

Personally, I changed my iPhone sig to read "sent from a mobile device" so that my short replies could be excused but I wasn't blatantly promoting Apple.

What say you? Is "sent from my iPhone" all right to leave on your email sig?

I do what you do - I changed the sig.

Part of it for me was just that it seems a little crow-y. "I gots an iPhone, beeyatch! I'm RICH!" Though now that everyone has a smart phone it's not quite as gauche as maybe 2-3 years ago.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Could care less what it says...

5. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

That's funny. I hear that a lot, too, this notion that somehow people with iPhones got them because they're cool or a status symbol. They're only -- "only" -- like $300, right? It's not like I have shoes covered in Swarovski crystals.

6. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

My BB used to say "Sent from my Verizon Wireless Blackberry", which imo is about as douchey as it can get. Since blackberries are pretty ubiquitous nowadays, I just got rid of the Verizon Wireless part, so people won't be peeved by short emails or minor spelling/punctuation errors.

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I have the "sent from my mobile device" as my sig even on outlook and gmail. That way I can always get away with short emails and spelling/grammatical errors.

lol jk, it would be funny though.

8. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Mine says "Dictated to my minion".

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

I use 'Sent from my Newton."

lefty

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I use 'Sent from my Newton."

lefty

LMAO

11. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

I always take the "sent from..." off my "signature." Let people think you are at the office and why advertise "your device?"

12. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

"Sent from my iPhone while driving through a school zone."

13. Runningman411

Runningman411 Well-Known Member

How do you turn it off on a blackberry?

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Anyone living in current society should do themselves a favor and get over it. With employers feeling that it is acceptable to contact their staff 24/7 they should be happy that they're receiving messages sent from anything outside of the office.

15. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    How do you turn it off on a blackberry?

Setup>Email Settings>(your email address)>Signature