• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The semiotics of "Sent from my iPhone."

Sazerac

Reaction score
A recent debate erupted in my household about the "Sent from my iPhone" notation that appears at the bottom of emails sent from, um, iPhones.

Someone argued that it was a form of free advertising for Apple. I agreed but pointed out that the "sent from my (device)" actually conveys useful information. That is, if you receive a short one-line (or even one word) e-mail from, say, your boss, it can come off as brusque. However, if you see that it was sent from a mobile device, it means that you're receiving a sort of improvised on-the-go response that excuses its brevity.

Personally, I changed my iPhone sig to read "sent from a mobile device" so that my short replies could be excused but I wasn't blatantly promoting Apple.

What say you? Is "sent from my iPhone" all right to leave on your email sig?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no. it looks stupid. i have mine set as "sent via mobile device". I could have put the whole "please ignore spelling errors" or whatever, but too long and dochey.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
A recent debate erupted in my household about the "Sent from my iPhone" notation that appears at the bottom of emails sent from, um, iPhones.

Someone argued that it was a form of free advertising for Apple. I agreed but pointed out that the "sent from my (device)" actually conveys useful information. That is, if you receive a short one-line (or even one word) e-mail from, say, your boss, it can come off as brusque. However, if you see that it was sent from a mobile device, it means that you're receiving a sort of improvised on-the-go response that excuses its brevity.

Personally, I changed my iPhone sig to read "sent from a mobile device" so that my short replies could be excused but I wasn't blatantly promoting Apple.

What say you? Is "sent from my iPhone" all right to leave on your email sig?

I do what you do - I changed the sig.

Part of it for me was just that it seems a little crow-y. "I gots an iPhone, beeyatch! I'm RICH!" Though now that everyone has a smart phone it's not quite as gauche as maybe 2-3 years ago.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could care less what it says...

Sazerac

Reaction score
That's funny. I hear that a lot, too, this notion that somehow people with iPhones got them because they're cool or a status symbol. They're only -- "only" -- like $300, right? It's not like I have shoes covered in Swarovski crystals.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My BB used to say "Sent from my Verizon Wireless Blackberry", which imo is about as douchey as it can get. Since blackberries are pretty ubiquitous nowadays, I just got rid of the Verizon Wireless part, so people won't be peeved by short emails or minor spelling/punctuation errors.

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the "sent from my mobile device" as my sig even on outlook and gmail. That way I can always get away with short emails and spelling/grammatical errors.

lol jk, it would be funny though.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use 'Sent from my Newton."

lefty

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I use 'Sent from my Newton."

lefty

LMAO

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I always take the "sent from..." off my "signature." Let people think you are at the office and why advertise "your device?"

Sazerac

Reaction score
"Sent from my iPhone while driving through a school zone."

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone living in current society should do themselves a favor and get over it. With employers feeling that it is acceptable to contact their staff 24/7 they should be happy that they're receiving messages sent from anything outside of the office.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Runningman411
How do you turn it off on a blackberry?

Setup>Email Settings>(your email address)>Signature

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 34 15.5%