• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The semi-annual wedding post!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm getting married next may/June, I'd like to solicit your advice on ties for the groomsmen. What is traditional when the groom wears a suit? Certainly they won't wear a wedding tie, or will they? I'm in between having a double breasted vest made for my charcoal single breasted suit or having a double breasted navy suit made, so I'm set.

The boys will be in their best suits which will be in a range of solid grey or navy suits. I'm at a loss for ties, maybe dots? We aren't matching the bridesmaids, but it should look like we're attending the same party. They'll be in ivory, beige and rose.

Thanks gents.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well if no one has an opinion I'll just do as I please.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Congrats on the wedding, Skinny. I'm sure you'll look great. I like the non-matching idea for the wedding party. I have no idea what tie the groom should wear. I wore a solid gray tie for my wedding if that helps.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let them choose themselves. Why on earth should there be a uniform for a wedding?

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The groomsmen don't have to wear matching suits and ties, at least choose colors that complement the motif color, if you're having that.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Parker! I plan to wear a black/white glen plaid or houndstooth. So I'm wondering what range of options are appropriate for the groomsmen. Obviously they won't wear what I'm wearing, and they will not be wearing a uniform or matching the bridesmaids. However, I'm sure there are some traditional choices available.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let them choose their own ties. Just check in advance that it's not a crappy 80's/90's design and you'll be fine.

bigtimebuck4

Reaction score
Why don't the suits have to match? Not that I disagree, just curious

Last edited:

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Out of your two proposed suits I'd probably go for the navy double breasted. Firstly, I think it'd be nicer to have a whole suit that's your "wedding suit" rather than just a waistcoat, and also because for a wedding I just prefer navy over charcoal.

At my wedding for the groomsmen's ties we went for similar but non-matching. I think they were the same colours (purple and grey and a little gold) but different patterns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads