• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "secret menu" at Chinese restaurants.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Recently my girlfriend and I went to her friend's family's Chinese restaurant for dinner and I encountered something a bit odd. I knew full well they had a "secret menu" typically not offered to most American patrons and had discussed it with her friend previously.

Once we got there and were seated, she gave us our menus and said what we had discussed previously was on the back under the Taiwanese section. I looked it over and was pretty bummed about how pedestrian the fare was. I asked, "Is this it?" She said yes. A few minutes later while looking around the restaurant, I noticed another table of Asian guests and they had a different menu! We discussed it amongst ourselves for a sec and a friend we had with us had the gull to go over to that table and ask for one. He came back and, lo and behold, it was the coveted "secret menu" filled with all the authentic dishes we had been excited about trying. When my girlfriend's friend came back to the table to take our orders, I held up the menu with somewhat of a sly grin on my face and asked, "Annie, what's this?" Embarrassed, she replied, "uh... ****. ha"

She let us go ahead and place our orders, consisting of Husband and Wife (a cold spicy beef dish, listed online as being ox lung), beef stomach in sesame oil (another cold dish) , and a warm tripe dish. Soon after, her mother comes out from the kitchen asking us repeatedly if we were absolutely certain we wanted those menu items and asking if we knew what they were, we assured her yes, but she still seemed reticent to let us have them. Finally she conceded and left us with the parting words, "you're my customer, I just want to make sure you're satisfied."

The food came. We were beyond satisfied. Just confused about all the fuss over that damned menu.

So my question is, why all the secrecy and hesitance to allow us to order? I just don't understand. Did we commit some cultural miscue? A buddy of mine explained it as an "immigrant thing," but couldn't really elaborate on why.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
when i was in tw, the associates i worked with were surprised i was willing to try lungs, tripe and other stuff. they had thought i was too american to try local delicacies.

maybe they were just afraid you'd have a bad reaction to the heavy flavors, and start talking s
spam[1].gif

Zabel

Reaction score
A 'secret menu' items are items that are double edged sword like, which may pleasure some of the customers while turn others.

Usually, it's those kinds of food that takes too long to cook, or have a very distinctive local taste/smell, or made out of organ/herbs that are considered edible only in certain regions.

Restaurants will be willing to serve those to ppl who look for it, but not to new customers who's expecting more generalized food, like 'kung pao chicken' in this case.

Reading from her reaction, I'm guessing there were some customers who weren't very happy when lungs/stomaches were served.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's a secret menu because it's not very good.

XeF4

Reaction score
Fried rice animal style?

I once rolled through dennys at 3am out of my mind and ordered a burger with two pancakes as the bun and i guess they made it and I ate it. I have no first hand memory of this experience and it was like 5 years ago.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably assumed you wouldn't enjoy it. Then word of mouth spreads around based on the "unfamiliar" foods and suddenly "oh that place sucks".

The eating of these foods not generally tailored for the american palate and the popularity of "adventurous eating" is a relatively new phenomenon from TV shows and online forums.

The thing is, with things like "Bizarre foods" and Anthony Bourdain type shows, more people are willing to try out foods that weren't so big 5 years ago (i.e. "adventurous" internet foodie types who can't wait to yelp/brag about how they ate a common tripe dish from China or something, giving them internets credibility).

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you live Wayfarer? I feel like these "secret menu" type Chinese restaurants are only found in the midwest or some small city where there's not a huge asian population.

Here in the bay area Chinese restaurants just have one menu.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I remember eating at a local Thai restaurant a while back and while looking over the menu I noticed that they only listed 3 spice options: mild, medium, and hot. When the waitress came over I asked her if there was anything hotter than the hot option? She asked me twice if "you sure?" and then ran off to confer with an older woman at the checkin podium. The older woman came over with a big smile on her face and said "you sure?". I said yes and she beamed at me and said "ooooohhhh, you wait, you gonna get Thai spice. Dis what we makee for de Thai people. I go tell grandmother in back. She gonna make it good for you." Food came out pretty ******* spicy but, after all that, I really expected to propel myself home via flaming flatulence.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a secret menu, because it wouldn't pass health codes? Or they take a huge loss when making dishes from the secret menu, and will only take a loss if it's for their people? Doesn't make sense. They probably add some questionable ingredients.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She didn't respect you, at all.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
Here in the bay area Chinese restaurants just have one menu.
Obviously you're not in the secret menu club.

ashpool

Reaction score
It's a secret menu where I am beucase most white people are pussies when it comes to spicy food or other spices used in authentic chinese food, and so they keep the secret menu secret because they don't want people accidentally order something that they will regret/hate, ruining the restaurant's reputation, when it is due to the customer's own stupidity/ignorance.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
White people tend to have bland ass tastes.

That's all.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads