1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The "secret menu" at Chinese restaurants.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Feb 2, 2011.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Truth here. I always try to take a Yellow with me to the local Chinese places. Especially if they know any Mandarin (even if it's very poor). That assures that we get the secret menu.

At my favorite place in chinatown (chicago), I have had multiple mediocre experiences when I have gone there with just another white person. Usually go with more than half asians and find that the spicy dishes are much better when they are around (or when I can convince them to actually make it spicy). I am not aware of this place really having a secret menu, but I know that it has a "secret" lunch menu that has smaller portions at a lower price...they do not give this to everyone for some reason.

2. jobro

jobro Senior member

I often find that when I am dining with an Asian, at an establishment in China Town, the dish is of higher quality than when I am alone or with fellow Caucasians.

3. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

When I studied abroad in Beijing all the white people ate was Yoshinoya and other things that were American, but transposed into Chinese.

This is why Chinese resturants dont give you dumbasses the Chinese menu. Its not because it didn't pass the health code or has some illegal spice as you knowledgeable people suggest.

Yoshinoya is Japanese BTW.

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Yoshinoya is Japanese BTW.

it only looks like its japanese... [​IMG]

5. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

There's always a menu that contains specials or set course meals that are change often enough and hence aren't in the printed menus with accompanying English. This is why sometimes they are written on the board because it could be fresh seafood and they only have a certain amount in stock. In festive occasions (for example right now during the lunar new year), the entrees have lyrical names to them that are pretty hard to translate to English.

Unless you keep picking chicken balls, I don't see how Chinese places treat people any differently based on their race or language capabilities. Spicy food is another topic altogether.

6. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

it only looks like its japanese... [​IMG]

Looks pretty much the same in Japan as it does in the US.