• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Science Behind Missing Sleep

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to make up on lost sleep? I've been told it can't be done.
eh.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
eh.gif

is it possible to make up the 10 seconds i wasted reading this thread,ha just kidding.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif

No, you can not make up for prolonged periods of sleep loss. Chronic deprivation can be damaging, both physically and mentally, but the body will often adapt to get by with less sleep, rather than make up for the lost hours that have accumulated. Due to this, cognitive function and performance will be sacrificed.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
No, you can not make up for prolonged periods of sleep loss. Chronic deprivation can be damaging, both physically and mentally, but the body will often adapt to get by with less sleep, rather than make up for the lost hours that have accumulated. Due to this, cognitive function and performance will be sacrificed.

so if it can't be made up, what's can be done to reduce the damage of sleep loss?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so if it can't be made up, what's can be done to reduce the damage of sleep loss?

I don't know...
Sleep?

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
Sleep rebound does take place (and can last for years in the case of alcoholism REM-deprivation), but its really important to get the amount of sleep you need on a day-to-day basis. In other words, sleep debt is not relieved very well, and the effectiveness of catching up on missed sleep decays the more days you are sleep deprived in a row.

its funny that I read this thread while taking a short break between working on a sleep deprivation project ( http://i.imgur.com/hW47A.png )

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Treating the underlying cause of your sleep deprivation.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeanathonHuff
Sleep rebound does take place (and can last for years in the case of alcoholism REM-deprivation), but its really important to get the amount of sleep you need on a day-to-day basis. In other words, sleep debt is not relieved very well, and the effectiveness of catching up on missed sleep decays the more days you are sleep deprived in a row. its funny that I read this thread while taking a short break between working on a sleep deprivation project ( http://i.imgur.com/hW47A.png )
Sleep rebound takes place on more of an acute level, than a chronic one. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0702145152.htm

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
Not in drug-related incidences, as I previously stated. but yes, you're right, sleep homeostasis is generally a short-term thing.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not in drug-related incidences, as I previously stated. but yes, you're right, sleep homeostasis is generally a short-term thing.

That's interesting. Do you have any studies on this?

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
a fellow researcher told me (in think-tanking session). I could look it up, though.

one caveat is that this applies to alcoholics, not casual use. some college students might qualify, though.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a fellow researcher told me (in think-tanking session). I could look it up, though. one caveat is that this applies to alcoholics, not casual use. some college students might qualify, though.
Do you study sleep? I'm looking this up and found this: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1030183411.htm
Godwin said the brain adapts to long-term alcohol use and doesn't immediately return to normal when alcohol use is stopped. It may take months for the brain to revert to normal sleep patterns, or it may never return to a truly normal state. In the meantime, sleep problems can get worse. Insomnia has been shown to occur in 36 percent to 72 percent of alcoholic patients during both active drinking and withdrawal.
"There is a significant relationship between alcoholics returning to consumption because of this sleep issue," said Godwin, an associate professor of neurobiology and anatomy. "One reason they may go back to drinking may be an attempt to make their sleep feel more normal or satisfying."
So, apparently, one of the reasons alcoholics struggle to prevent relapse is because alcohol helps them sleep. I can't find anything that says that they will make up for sleep loss incurred during their alcoholism, though.

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
alcoholism initially helps you enter bouts of sleep (slow-wave sleep is the first stage you enter, so it can be said that alcohol promotes SWS). neural adaptations to this effect leads to insomnia without alcohol. You could consider this a withdrawal symptom, in the rawest sense.

in the sense that alcohol initially makes it easier to enter slow-wave, deep sleep, it also prevents you from engaging in shallower sleep bouts (REM). Tolerance to this effect is not observed as readily as the beneficial sleep-inducing effects, IIRC. as a result, heavy users engage in years of REM-deprivation & some studies find that this does not return to normal. SWS is also affected long-term. interestingly, the direction of perturbation is different for REM & SWS sleep. The tolerance/adaptations to SWS induction never reverses fully, and REM-deprivation rebound takes a long time to dissipate. In other words, it appears former-alcoholics sleep less in deep stages & more in shallow stages. Its not simply that REM is pushing SWS out of the way, both are regulated in opposite directions by different mechanisms.

some of my work is sleep patterns, some melatonin secretion, some nervous system repair. this summer I'm working on project involving the daily rhythms of metabolism with respect to metabolic disorders. I should be reading, instead of on SF.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that alcoholics will suffer from a deprivation of REM and NREM deep sleep stages 3 & 4, but my question is by which mechanisms does the individual regain and rebound from this loss once sobriety is reached?

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
no one knows for sure. sleep rebound is pretty much the least well understood thing about sleep (that's saying a lot). if you knew the answer to that question, you could make a lot of money on insomnia treatments. I'm searching on your behalf, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads