1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Scariest Movie Ever Made?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by francine, Dec 14, 2006.

1. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

I think it's the utter realism that is so compelling; I mean, somewhere in Texas there must be a decrepit incestual family of cannibals bent on murdering nubile young people.
    texas chainsaw was loosely based on the Ed Gein murders in... plainfield, wisconsin. oh, and second the earlier suggestion of FUNNY GAMES as an overlooked scary movie------well, just fucked up and disturbing, actually. [​IMG]

2. denimdestroyedmylife

last scary movie i saw was MEMENTO MORI.
    creepy.
    about schoolgirl friendship/love and heavy complications

3. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I thought Alien was pretty scary and, for the most part, not gory (with one obvious exception). The scene with Tom Skerritt crawling around in the tunnels was very intense, as was the final scene on the escape pod.

Jaws is one of my favorite movies of all time. I think I found it scary the first time I saw it, but it was so long ago I don't remember.

The Exorcist also scared me the first time I saw it (I was a lot younger then - perhaps I wouldn't find it very scary now). Heck, The Wizard of Oz scared me when I was a little kid.

Friday the 13th is one of the least scary "scary" movies I've ever seen (although the final scene with Jason popping out of the water made me jump the first time I saw it). To top it off, it's a horrible film from a writing/acting standpoint, even by horror movie standards.

The final scene of a movie called The Sentinel (not the recent one with Kiefer Sutherland and Michael Douglas) is supposed to be quite frightening, but I haven't seen it. I recently finally saw Last House on the Left. Not very scary after all of the build up. I also have yet to see the original Dawn of the Dead (I enjoyed the remake quite a bit, but didn't find it scary), or any of the Evil Dead movies.

I continue to believe The Blair Witch Project was a humongous fraud perpetrated on the International movie-going public.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rosemary's Baby didn't scare me at all. I loved that movie.

Silence of the Lambs scared me the first time I saw it, but never again.

Only The Exorcist scared me in a way that stuck.

5. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

Surprised no one has mentined the original (French-Dutch?) version of The Vanishing.

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I thought The Ring was great right up to the moment when the girl crawled out of the TV set. What a dumbass idea that was. Killed the movie.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

The Day After

I was 15 or 16 when that first aired on tv and it scared the Jeebus out of me...mostly because it seemed so probable back then.

At my age I cant find any movies scary but creepy ones were Rosemary's Baby, the Omen, Exorcist, Jaws....Jacob's Ladder had some seriously creepy moments

9. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Surprised no one has mentined the original (French-Dutch?) version of The Vanishing.

I didn't find this scary as much as tragic.

I also thought the first 20 or 30 minutes of The Hitcher (with Rutger Hauer and C. Thomas Howell) was pretty scary (the idea of being trapped in your car in the middle of nowhere during a stormy night with a homicidal maniac), after which it devolved into unbelievable crap.

Also, the scene in Poltergeist where the little kid gets grabbed by the clown doll was downright terrifying.

10. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Oh, and I forgot The Shining (the Jack Nicholson/Stanley Kubrick version, not the made for TV version). That was pretty frightening.

11. ken

ken Senior member

The scariest movie ever made was probably the first one. "The pictures... they're coming ALIVE!"

12. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

The scariest movie ever made was probably the first one. "The pictures... they're coming ALIVE!"

[​IMG]

Not the first movie, but apparently shocking in its day.

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I'd say the only time I left a movie theatre squeamish was after watch Event Horizon. Of course, I went in thinking it was a sci-fi, not a horror film.

Jacob's Ladder and Candyman scared me too but I was much younger when those came out.

Planet of the Apes was a horror film? According to the list it was.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

If, hypothetically speaking, you had watched Phantasm stoned and drunk as a teenager, and then had to walk home in the dark, it'd be way up the list. At least, I imagine that would be the case.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

The Excorsist and Fear of Clowns

16. tiecollector

If, hypothetically speaking, you had watched Phantasm stoned and drunk as a teenager, and then had to walk home in the dark, it'd be way up the list. At least, I imagine that would be the case.

Yes, highly hypothetical. [​IMG]

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

The scariest movie I've ever seen that wasn't meant to be a horror movie - Trekkies.

Great choices tiecollector! Good call on Event Horizon, its was scary, but it also sucked. I don't think I've ever jumped out of my seat that many times in a theater.

I'm especially fond of the Hellraiser series...

18. denimdestroyedmylife

i had a minor freakout watching thx1138, but that might have been the cough syrup.

19. VMan

VMan Senior member

20. tiecollector

The scariest movie I've ever seen that wasn't meant to be a horror movie - Trekkies.

Great choices tiecollector! Good call on Event Horizon, its was scary, but it also sucked. I don't think I've ever jumped out of my seat that many times in a theater.

I'm especially fond of the Hellraiser series...

I loved Trekkies, Galaxy Quest too. If you thought Trekkies was scary maybe you should try watching American Movie. I don't know what to think of Event Horizon, it was just creepy as hell (people pulling out their own eyes etc), I wasn't exactly analyzing the storyline while jumping out of my seat. The premise was cool, which is why I went to go see it, but little did I know what I was in for...