1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Scariest Movie Ever Made?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by francine, Dec 14, 2006.

1. francine

francine Member

http://www.stuffmagazine.com/article...499&src=gtf123

I think the list does display some good scary movies, but then again, its everyone's opinion. I think the scariest movie I have ever seen is Pet Cemetary, but I haven't seen that many good scary movies. I think that the Excorcist was not scary at all, nor was the Blair Witch Project, or Jaws. I think that the Halloween series and the Shining were pretty good but that's about it. and I don't think that 28 days later should be defined as a scary movie.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The scariest movies are those that are psychologically disturbing not any of that gore-fest that commonly passes as scary.

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

My surfing buddy here in Japan teaches English, and for one obstreperous student he always brings a video of The Ring. If the student misbehaves, he takes out the video and threatens to make her watch it. She's completely convinced that if she watches it, she'll die, and is terrified of the mere thought of that movie.

4. benecios

benecios Senior member

The scariest movies are those that are psychologically disturbing not any of that gore-fest that commonly passes as scary.

I agree.Misery scared me to death and I also thought the much maligned What Lies Beneath was pretty scary too.

5. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

psychologically disturbing? you mean like "dumb and dumberer"? or the george clooney batman? [​IMG]

6. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

conventional horror movies don't do anything for me. Jesus Camp sounds pretty scary, though.

7. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

Rosemary's baby is the shit. The opening music is so peaceful yet so disturbing/haunting.

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pearl Harbor. So bad it's harrowing. Three hours of my eyes trying to rotate back in my head and my brain wishing it had a screensaver.

9. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

I agree.Misery scared me to death and I also thought the much maligned What Lies Beneath was pretty scary too.

The hobbeling (sp?) scene made me cringe more than the Piano Wire Scene from Audition. I have a very hard time being scared from a movie though. Its kinda just like in my head I know its a movie so its nothing to be affraid of, guess I just think too much.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Pearl Harbor. So bad it's harrowing. Three hours of my eyes trying to rotate back in my head and my brain wishing it had a screensaver.
    What about Glitter?

11. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

What about Glitter?
    Go to bed, it's a school night.

12. Nantucket Red

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is hilarious. The scariest thing about it is the imminent danger of asphixiating oneself from laughter.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Go to bed, it's a school night.
    The gist of that is as tired as Mae West's garter.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is hilarious. The scariest thing about it is the imminent danger of asphixiating oneself from laughter.
    I think it's the utter realism that is so compelling; I mean, somewhere in Texas there must be a decrepit incestual family of cannibals bent on murdering nubile young people.

15. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Nobody has seen Funny Games then? It's not necessarily scary but it's messed up in a thoroughly unpleasant way, without much of the messed up stuff being that explicit. That said, it pains me to admit it, but I found 8mm gave me bad dreams for a long while afterwards. I'm not particularly fond of Nicholas Cage, and the movie wasn't particularly well done, but the very idea of snuff movies horrifies me.

16. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

One time I watched Begotten after not sleeping for several days, and I could see that bothering most people. Didn't do much to me, but very little does.

A Tale of Two Sisters made me throw a slice of pizza once. That was a bit embarrassing.

17. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

18. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

In Japan, Kiyoshi Kurosawa makes some pretty scary stuff.

He's best known in the US for PULSE, which was unfortunately remade here.

Haven't seen it, but CURE is a knockout.

Don't wait for the inevitable remake.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123948/

19. Nantucket Red

I think it's the utter realism that is so compelling; I mean, somewhere in Texas there must be a decrepit incestual family of cannibals bent on murdering nubile young people.

Yes, that is a chilling aspect, but the movie contained a great deal of pure absurdity.

20. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Rosemary's baby is the shit. The opening music is so peaceful yet so disturbing/haunting.
    that movie is perfect. and the soundtrack by Kristof Komeda is incredible----seek it out. not just a great soundtrack, but a rewarding listening experience.