1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Sartorialist shoots Arny's of Paris

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Sartorialist, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Thank you for the magnificent shots!

Comment: some of the women with sagging breasts should really refrain from wearing certain styles of dresses. Beurk. Or do people find that attractive?

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

Comment: some of the women with sagging breasts should really refrain from wearing certain styles of dresses. Beurk. Or do people find that attractive?

Err, you might be correct as a sartorial matter. Of course, what people find attractive and especially what men find "attractive" on (or not on) women might be very different from what clothing looks best.

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Maybe they are trying for that 1970s look. As a, er, contrast it can be interesting--though the line between nonchalant and just plain sloppy can be thin indeed.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I saw someone wearing one of the special edition Lacoste shirts from Colette with the oversized crocodile last weekend. He looked like a complete jackass.
    That's completely diffferent because of its overt logo factor. Colette used to have a magazine they sent out, and one edition had a series of special edition trenches, which were very compelling.

5. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Mr. maggoo and Kitonbrioni: Sometimes I think I should stop striving for perfection. [​IMG]

6. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

Mr. maggoo and Kitonbrioni: Sometimes I think I should stop striving for perfection. [​IMG]

Pish posh.

The point I was making is that what men find "attractive" on women (and in American English, that often implies sexually attractive) and what looks best from an objective eye can be two very different things. Ask an objective man if he finds a well dressed woman or a minimally dressed woman more attractive. Just because he may say the latter does not mean you should not strive to look your best at all times!

Believe me, if American men only dressed the way American women find sexually attractive, we would largely be firemen and certainly never worry about the things men ask about on this forum.

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I understand. It is when I am wearing a tank top, hair down, running errands at the hardware store*,that I get cat calls from men safely behind their steering wheels on the other side of the intersection. When I have put more care in my appearance, these same men probably wouldn't dare.

Still, if I had sagging breasts, I wouldn't flaunt them. Shudder.

*ie.: when I think I look fairly awful.

8. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

On an aside, I noticed they included the Rolleiflex camera on the men.style 50 most stylish things, which was a very sensible action although the Leica should also have been included:

http://men.style.com/features/big_st...o=48&play=fals.

A worthy addition, it seems, although I confess camera ignorance. Some items on the list are ridiculous. I find the Prada Saffiano watch hideous. Other things such as the The Old Print Shop are imaginative. I've not been to the shop, but I do like--and dabble in--old prints.

A running SF 'Stylish Things' thread might be a good idea.

9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

It is when I am wearing a tank top, hair down, running errands at the hardware store*,that I get cat calls from men safely behind their steering wheels on the other side of the intersection. When I have put more care in my appearance, these same men probably wouldn't dare.

Interesting. I would have thought that a French woman (I am assuming you are French for your Les Bleus support) would have understood this conundrum more fully than American women do: that women can be attractive to men not when they think they are but at other times as well. American women tend to be perplexed by this reaction. When I tell my American girlfriend she looks great after the gym, she nearly punches me.

Interestingly, women seem to understand this with men very well -- if a man has been exercising or working in a physical way and is sweaty and strong looking, they find it very appealling. Bathe and put on a suit and it is never the same reaction. Yet, women cannot quite fathom that it works both ways.

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I get it. Still, if a part of my body were way below average, I would not, in the name of being "attractive" to others, seek ways of exposing said body part. It's a question of pride. But I don't have to worry about that. [​IMG]

And for the record, I find my husband immensely attractive when he is wearing a suit, cufflinks, a tie.

PS: Yes, I'm a French woman.

11. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

A worthy addition, it seems, although I confess camera ignorance. Some items on the list are ridiculous. I find the Prada Saffiano watch hideous. Other things such as the The Old Print Shop are imaginative. I've not been to the shop, but I do like--and dabble in--old prints.

A running SF 'Stylish Things' thread might be a good idea.

The best item on the list is the new book Factory Records: The Complete Graphic Album. Great work from Peter Saville.

bob

12. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Interesting. I would have thought that a French woman (I am assuming you are French for your Les Bleus support) would have understood this conundrum more fully than American women do: that women can be attractive to men not when they think they are but at other times as well. American women tend to be perplexed by this reaction. When I tell my American girlfriend she looks great after the gym, she nearly punches me.

Interestingly, women seem to understand this with men very well -- if a man has been exercising or working in a physical way and is sweaty and strong looking, they find it very appealling. Bathe and put on a suit and it is never the same reaction. Yet, women cannot quite fathom that it works both ways.

Attractive women, for example, very nearly always look better without makeup. For many women, the only reason (minimal) makeup is preferable in certain situations is that it adds a certain 'finish' that's appropriate for a dressier look -- even the most naturally striking, flawlessly-complected woman imaginable would probably look a bit odd without some 'finish' on her face if she were dressed to the nines for a formal event.

But back to the subject at hand...

It seems that a lot of outfits that in America would be dismissed as 'AmJack' can be worn to a European fashion event and be considered stylish.

13. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Because the negative behaviors that give wearers of that look a bad name aren't as common in Europe. Also, the men aren't built the same.

Nice pictures.

14. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Also, the men aren't built the same.
    Oh no, the majority of Americans are "built" exactly the same as their European ancestors. They just don't eat the same.

15. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I understand. It is when I am wearing a tank top, hair down, running errands at the hardware store*,that I get cat calls from men safely behind their steering wheels on the other side of the intersection. When I have put more care in my appearance, these same men probably wouldn't dare.

Still, if I had sagging breasts, I wouldn't flaunt them. Shudder.

Fabienne - having seen your pictures, I'm not at all surprised by this phenomenon [​IMG]

And for the record, I find my husband immensely attractive when he is wearing a suit, cufflinks, a tie.

My wife would completely agree with you about me as well.

P.S.

What's with the straight-leg shorts that extend below the kneecap on all these guys in the original photo shoot? I really can't see that catching on in the States.

16. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

What's with the straight-leg shorts that extend below the kneecap on all these guys in the original photo shoot? I really can't see that catching on in the States.
    Nor do I, if only because of Capri shorts' strong association with women here.

17. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I get it. Still, if a part of my body were way below average, I would not, in the name of being "attractive" to others, seek ways of exposing said body part. It's a question of pride. But I don't have to worry about that. [​IMG]

PS: Yes, I'm a French woman.

Having reviewed The Sartorialist and the facehunter.blogspot.com (pictures of Paris nightlife) it is clear that many women during the summer in Milan, Paris, and NYC wear thin loose fitting clothes. I've noticed this in NYC during the summer where many don't have 24/7 A/C. I live with several (too many) months of heat and humidity, so everything is A/C 24/7. Thus, one never sees on the street women in loose thin clothing, lacking structure. Usually, women have medium weight close fitting outfits--though (thankfully) they do tend bare one (usually only one) of the body sections--top, middle, or legs (sadly, even those women that shouldn't).