1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Sartorialist hits the Trifecta

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ZON_JR, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

2. eMacPaul

eMacPaul Senior member

Wow, those are some thick soles!

3. agavilanes

agavilanes Senior member

For better viewing...

[​IMG]

4. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

The guy in front looks like either Yoda or a gremlin. I'm still deciding.

5. agavilanes

agavilanes Senior member

The guy in front looks like either Yoda or a gremlin. I'm still deciding.

Maybe It's an aged version of this guy
    [​IMG]

6. Luddite

Luddite Senior member

Wow, those are some thick soles!
    Dude's wearing brothel creepers. Normally only seen on aging guys in rockabilly bands. EDIT: I once saw a rockabilly dude change his shoes for going out on the town. He changed from one pair of black and white creepers for a house party to another precisely identical pair, which an even thicker sole for bar-hopping. Strange species...

7. thought

thought Well-Known Member

I love The Sartorialist. So indie, so different.

8. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

I love The Sartorialist. So indie, so different.

The irony

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Dude's wearing brothel creepers. Normally only seen on aging guys in rockabilly bands.

EDIT: I once saw a rockabilly dude change his shoes for going out on the town. He changed from one pair of black and white creepers for a house party to another precisely identical pair, which an even thicker sole for bar-hopping. Strange species...

He's wearing George Cox creepers, which is the original company that made them in 1952. He's got good taste, the only creepers that use a true rubber crepe sole, goodyear welted, and double stitched around the eyelets (unlike pale imitations like TUK)

actually creepers are more worn among younger rockabilly guys, not aging ones, unless they are hardcore Teds

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe It's an aged version of this guy
    [​IMG]

I thought that was Michelle Obama at first glance.

11. Luddite

Luddite Senior member

He's wearing George Cox creepers, which is the original company that made them in 1952. He's got good taste, the only creepers that use a true rubber crepe sole, goodyear welted, and double stitched around the eyelets (unlike pale imitations like TUK)

actually creepers are more worn among younger rockabilly guys, not aging ones, unless they are hardcore Teds

Interesting about the shoes.

The age thing might just be my own youth and attitudes showing. Most rockabilly dudes I've encountered seem slightly fossilised to me.

I suppose I've also seen a few punk kids wearing them, though.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

^ yea lot of punk kids wear creepers too. but almost never George Cox ones (too expensive for kids). Also Cox shoes are hard to come by, only 1 authorized seller in USA (in LA) and a couple in Japan, and London of course.

13. Luddite

Luddite Senior member

I'm sure you're right. I couldn't spot the difference though.

Actually, out of interest: What is the difference?

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

The way most creepers have the eyelets sewn on, they're easily prone to ripping out over time. The Cox creepers are heavy duty double stitched so they'll never fall off with regular use

Even tho creepers are known for their rubber crepe sole, only the Cox ones have it. Imitations all just use black rubber and not actual crepe (which is far more comfortable to walk on)

The leather is thicker and nicer on the Cox.

Soles are goodyear welted rather than glued on.

and there's the whole "you cant find these anywhere and this is the original 1950s brand" pedigree for that extra touch of snobishness that music tribes are always so fond of.

I used to have a couple pairs and I was able to resell them on ebay for nearly the same price I bought them for brand new. To europeans of course, as they and the Japanese are the only ones who are aware of and appreciate this brand.

15. Luddite

Luddite Senior member

Ah, sorry - I meant the difference that can be seen in a photo, not in quality.

16. thought

The irony

Indeed.

17. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    [​IMG]

Cool, Kurtwood Smith made it onto The Sartorialist.

18. thought

[​IMG]

Cool, Kurtwood Smith made it onto The Sartorialist.

Personally, I like the green capri's on the man in the backround.

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I thought that was Michelle Obama at first glance.
    This guy is my favourite dresser on the planet. You gotta see him, he wears that wild stuff like he doesn't give a fuck, I think his son is older than me. Just in case there's some confusion I mean the person pictured not Michelle Obama.

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

The way most creepers have the eyelets sewn on, they're easily prone to ripping out over time. The Cox creepers are heavy duty double stitched so they'll never fall off with regular use

Even tho creepers are known for their rubber crepe sole, only the Cox ones have it. Imitations all just use black rubber and not actual crepe (which is far more comfortable to walk on)

The leather is thicker and nicer on the Cox.

Soles are goodyear welted rather than glued on.

and there's the whole "you cant find these anywhere and this is the original 1950s brand" pedigree for that extra touch of snobishness that music tribes are always so fond of.

I used to have a couple pairs and I was able to resell them on ebay for nearly the same price I bought them for brand new. To europeans of course, as they and the Japanese are the only ones who are aware of and appreciate this brand.

Are you sure they're not the CdG version?