• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sartorialist, an Obsession

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do so many of the Sartorialist's otherwise normal men
look like sex traffickers or other nefarious practitioners? He also
has a penchant for depicting skinny, hollow-chested, narrow shouldered,
Eurotrash fashionistas. Neither of these groups constitute an example
which I would want to emulate.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade

And you wonder why he doesn't post here anymore...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade

He doesn't seem to make anyone on SF happy. The stodgy crowd (most of us) complains that he doesn't shoot enough men in properly fitting tailored clothing. Meanwhile Fuuma complains that Scott takes too many pictures of conservatively dressed men who are only distinguished by some harmless quirk. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Well, on second thought, maybe the stodgy crowd is a little more correct than Fuuma:

SPpropsgreenshorts_92Web.jpg

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He looks for originality. While the whole look might not always works, he usually sees one thing that pops or an overall look that works and he runs with it. He does have a good eye, most of the time.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
He looks for originality. While the whole look might not always works, he usually sees one thing that pops or an overall look that works and he runs with it. He does have a good eye, most of the time.

I think he has a very good eye for color.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Style Forum, I like to check out the site to see what people come up with. And not all of the looks seen on his site are too

The Sartorialist has absolutely abysmal taste in clothing and would probably be better suited working at Urban Outfitters as opposed to maintaining a high-profile fashion blog.
I don't think that's fair. He often features people who have simple yet stylish looks. Nothing any more over the top than what you sometimes see in the WAYWT thread.

LodovicoBarbera.jpg

PlaidJkt.jpg

6218BeigeBrwnWhtweb.jpg

KW4Web.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
all this time and he still has no foof shot. i question that man's taste!

VolsVolsVols

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
I don't think that's fair. He often features people who have simple yet stylish looks. Nothing any more over the top than what you sometimes see in the WAYWT thread.

You are correct. Perhaps I should have phrased myself differently, more or less to imply that his taste in clothing appears to be awful in regards to anything but American trad or similar styles, as many of the more eccentric looks he features on his blog seem to be entirely too disheveled and quirky.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Looks like Scott has returned to SF...

Who is Scott?

Albern

Reaction score
For some things like colour / pattern combinations and accessories (to a degree) I think The Sartorialist is great for some ideas that I wouldn't even have thought of.

For the most part though, whenever I scroll down the list I'm constantly reminded of Mugatu's Derelicte collection.

D_PATT003014.jpg

D_PATT002999.jpg

alexander-mcqueens-jumbo-lips-22777-1236869361-5.jpg

20090311_newmcqueen_560x560.jpg

Not exactly from Zoolander but you get the idea.

theorientalist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VolsVolsVols
The Sartorialist has absolutely abysmal taste in clothing and would probably be better suited working at Urban Outfitters as opposed to maintaining a high-profile fashion blog.

Originally Posted by robin
Does this mean that they've already lost?

Originally Posted by VolsVolsVols
You are correct. Perhaps I should have phrased myself differently, more or less to imply that his taste in clothing appears to be awful in regards to anything but American trad or similar styles, as many of the more eccentric looks he features on his blog seem to be entirely too disheveled and quirky.

Hardly, most of his posts and the outfits he admires the most come from Milan for the men and Paris for the women.

Of course, not every single person he takes I can agree with, but by and large he has a good eye for well dressed men and women and style.

Also, he has been very focused in his aesthetics - and you still haven't named a superior blog for men's fashion on the street.

Kempt and Valet are good for a more wholistic approach, but I am more fascinated by what actual people are wearing out there in the street.

Truth be told, I find that most people on SF think they dress so much better than they actually do, much like the people at Dandyism and the Fedora Lounge.

Taste, I suppose, in all things, is a matter of personal opinion.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been far too long since there was anything that inspired me on the blog.

Also, let's not credit him too much for his 'eye'. The people who design the clothes and who picked them out are the ones with the real 'eye', (or not, as in some cases), Mr Shuman notices them (as anyone would), points his expensive camera at them and shoots. There's nothing really special about what he does.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The fact he is now followed by more mainstream and diverse people will be the key to his downfall...
Most blogs tend to have a small but fidel following who adhered totally to the aesthetics, goals and purposes of the pictures/articles...
He can't satisfy all the time a vast array of people expecting different looks..

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Also, let's not credit him too much for his 'eye'.
I do credit him, his photography is very good.
Originally Posted by lasbar
The fact he is now followed by more mainstream and diverse people will be the key to his downfall...
I don't agree with that. His blog will stay honest as long as he keeps photographing the people he wants to photograph. That's all that really matters anyway.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will he continue to photograph people following his own stimuli?
I do not know how he finances his blog but if he is in need of some sponsorship , the number of people logging on to his blog to look at the pictures offered will interfer with his editing agenda...
There is always an editorial agenda , sometimes from the photographer, sometimes from the people being photographed or from both...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads