The sad state of men Morning Formal Attire @ the Epsom Derby 2012

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marcodalondra, Jun 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I empathize with your sentiments regarding the abominable state of the average morning dress wearer these days. I apologize for my callous criticisms above; it is very au fait here to hurl sartorial abuse just as monkeys hurl their shit, and I often get caught up in that intoxicating, bestial dance.

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

It sickens me to see these things, in a jubilee* year no less.

* That's for you, Nick Sullivan.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

3. comrade

comrade Senior member

Italian Pleats , egad!
    What is the world coming to?

4. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Rental morning attire is pretty atrocious. Last night I chanced to look at some pictures of myself in rented morning attire at my ill-fated second wedding. I look like a complete doofus-geek! The jacket is ill fitting, and the tails bisect my thighs. The whole thing looks bloody awful. The OP looks incomparably better in his morning attire.

6. Parterre

Parterre Well-Known Member

While part of me wants to join in this anger about poor dressing, I find it superfluous to get ones knickers in a twist over shoes when all at least show up in proper morning dress. You ought to schlepp over to the State of Black Tie thread to see how "seriously" dress codes are taken here. If all I had to complain about people wearing wingtips or square-toed shoes at formal dinners, I'd be a happy man (even on that last bit, Prince William wore wingtips with black tie, so maybe that's no longer incorrect). Instead we have it so bad- people coming to black tie events without ties and with shirts unbuttoned- I can hardly bear to look at party pictures any more as I end up in fits of despair. Seriously.

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The black waistcoats did seem a little off for summer. Nick Clegg looks as if he told his tailor he wanted to appear to be wearing a lounge suit even though he wasn't for political reasons.

9. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Indeed, only noticed Cameron few others with grey or other colours waistcoat. I think the formality of the occasion must have called for one and also shows that black waistcoat are not for funerals only. Interesting in terms of earlier feedback on this thread, there were many reverse pleats (the young royals) and coat lenght to well above theback of the knee, roghly the same lenght as my own (also as Sator stated in one of his threads on the subject long time ago):
    [​IMG]

Prince Michael of kent with a notch lapels Morning Coat.

Neverthless I cannot say that any of the above was incorrect or not following classic rules (there are historic examples of all the above), contrary to what I have instead seen at the Derby

10. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Well, quite simply: coat length is subjective (as always); and there has never been any rule that prohibits British people from having reverse pleats on their trousers.

11. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Also, Blackhood's morning dress section of his Wedding Attire guide is awful. Thus: his advice = non-advice.

12. marcodalondra

I was at Royal Ascot today and decided to follow up on this post. As per my original guess, the general appropriateness level was higher then at the Derby, however I have still seen to many bad shoes (just few examples):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my combo as per the Rock Your socks thread:

[​IMG]

My ful attire (this time the Trousers are proper morning stripe, bespoke by P Mola in H Lesser 8/9 Ozs):

[​IMG] (I know the knot is loose.. end of the day)

Some other details:

[​IMG]

13. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

I believe your shirt sleeve is too short.

14. marcodalondra

In this picture it looks like but in others that I took (no legs in most), you can see the 1cm shirt sleeve... (the double cuff on this particular shirt is slightly more rigid and tend to get stuck inside the jacket cuff) I choose this picture anyway because is the only one in good lighting that show the whole outfit.