The Rubinacci Thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whnay., Jun 6, 2008.

1. tazmaniac

tazmaniac Senior member

^^ Better still, if there are no foreground

[​IMG]

There are some even better pics in the Rake issue that this is taken from... Name is only quoted as "Ana", sadly...

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Hmmm...are you thinking, maybe, one of the collection of deerstalkers from their old RTW line that they have stockpiled in their Naples warehouse?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Oh, alright: I just wanted to see the girl again. Carry on.)

- B

I am so grateful for your participation in this thread. Were it not for you, we would all know much less about Rubinacci.

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

When did Ruby Junior pick up the hat? Of course, given that picture I'm surprised I've notice anything about him.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I am so grateful for your participation in this thread. Were it not for you, we would all know much less about Rubinacci.

Did you size up or down on the Rubinacci jeans?

[​IMG]

(BTW, do NOT click the smiley above. Thanks.)

- B

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

When did Ruby Junior pick up the hat? Of course, given that picture I'm surprised I've notice anything about him.

I assume that he has his pick of the bunch.

Talkin' 'bout the hat.

- B

6. Bull

Bull Senior member

Here's one of the Barry Diller photos whnay posted that didn't show up:

[​IMG]

That's Diane Von Furstenberg, his wife, next to him. The fit of his suit is really spot-on, in my opinion. I also think it's interesting to note how subtle the full Neapolitan treatment can be in practice. I doubt anyone arches their eyebrows at his Diller's shirt-set sleeves.

Another thing: is it just me, or does Rubinacci tend to cut longer jacket sleeves than forum orthodoxy would prefer? My own sleeves only allow for a sliver of cuff to show and I've noticed both Mariano and Luca tend to show only a sliver as well--unless they're wearing unbuttoned barrel cuffs.

I am positively amazed that anyone would think this suit is remarkable, and is truly a testament to how strongly the knowledge of a suit's maker can influence our judgment. To me, this suit is not only unremarkable, it looks downright frumpy and ridiculous.

A better example of a business titan in Rubinacci is Luca Cordero di Montezemolo. He looks effortlessly dashing, sexy, powerful and assertive, which is - ideally - how a man should look in a suit. A far cry from Diller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

A better example of a business titan in Rubinacci is Luca Cordero di Montezemolo. He looks effortlessly dashing, sexy, powerful and assertive, which is - ideally - how a man should look in a suit. A far cry from Diller.

Your diatribe would be more convincing if it were not for the fact that many, if not all, of those di Montezemolo DBs in the photographs that you posted are likely to be Caraceni.

If Diller were not in those Rubies posted earlier in this thread, he would be several dB down into the range of California frump. It's a great feat to make him look that good.

- B

8. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I am positively amazed that anyone would think this suit is remarkable, and is truly a testament to how strongly the knowledge of a suit's maker can influence our judgment. To me, this suit is not only unremarkable, it looks downright frumpy and ridiculous.
    This is unfair. I specifically indicated the positive and distinguishing traits I observed in Diller's suit. The collar, shoulder line, and sleevehead alone are quite special.
    If anything, you're proving what I've always claimed: that most people are unable to separate the man from the suit. I never said Barry Diller was dressed particularly well or that he is an attractive man. I only addressed his suit. Many of your photos of Montezemolo show a better looking man, but actually make it harder to assess the fit and quality of his clothes than Diller's. Now, that's not to say that fit and cut are everything. Style is obviously about much more. But we can't speak intelligibly about clothes unless we segregate the more technical and objective from the more qualitative and subjective in our analyses.

9. Bull

Bull Senior member

Your diatribe would be more convincing if it were not for the fact that many, if not all, of those di Montezemolo DBs in the photographs that you posted are likely to be Caraceni.

If Diller were not in those Rubies posted earlier in this thread, he would be several dB down into the range of California frump. It's a great feat to make him look that good.

- B

You've missed my point entirely. I don't give a fuck *who* made his suits. Whoever made them nailed them. Bottom line.

10. Bull

Bull Senior member

Damn. Just looking again, Montezemolo's lapels at the Ferrari event were flawless. Really swell work.

11. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Damn. Just looking again, Montezemolo's lapels at the Ferrari event were flawless. Really swell work.

I don't see anything exceptional about the lapels--what exactly is it that's getting your attention?

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

You've missed my point entirely. I don't give a fuck *who* made his suits. Whoever made them nailed them. Bottom line.

Forgive me...I might have missed your point because I read what you wrote rather than your mind.

This is my mistake, especially since the latter is not hard to do.

- B

13. George

George Senior member

Forgive me...I might have missed your point because I read what you wrote rather than your mind. This is my mistake, especially since the latter is not hard to do. - B
    [​IMG]

14. Bull

Bull Senior member

I don't see anything exceptional about the lapels--what exactly is it that's getting your attention?

First pic at the Ferrari event, I like the roll of the lapel. The width is also spot on, and the shape and angle of the peak on the lapel is quite nice. Finally, the lapel has a very sharp shape to it, but still looks "soft." Generally, the proportions and execution just look swell.

Cuff on the trousers is a bit thin and the leg opening is a bit large - he strikes me as a guy who would wear a slimmer-cut trouser with a larger (maybe 5 cm) cuff, but I guess everyone has their quirks.

The last pic a doozy. Buttoning only the bottom button on a 3B?? Now that's some 2010 Sprezz right there.

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- B