• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
in love with that glen plaid tweed.

+1. That glen plaid is fantastic. Really like both the blazer and the sport coat. Thanks for posting.

So, that isn't roping in the sleeve cap? is it 'wadding'? Would it settle down naturally over time?
I think it looks good in combination with your sloped shoulders, except maybe a little too much on the blue suit.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bill,

Very nice! I think the Glen Plaid would look great as a suit as well.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
So, that isn't roping in the sleeve cap? is it 'wadding'? Would it settle down naturally over time?
I think it looks good in combination with your sloped shoulders, except maybe a little too much on the blue suit.

There might be some material in there or maybe not. Would have to feel it to know for sure. But just not pressing open the seam would leave that "bump" even if there's nothing there.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The sleevehead is used in that area of the roping. Every tailor uses what materials he thinks works best for sleeveheads. Different materials used give different effects. Fullness in the sleeve cap is distributed over the top of sleeve head to make the sleeve cap "rise".

Check out Jeffreyd's blog. He has diagrams of sleeveheads and how they are sewn, just a few posts down from the most current entry.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic looking stuff Whnay. Your build reminds me of PG's. I think Rubi does you better than A&S - and look forward to seeing the your evolution with them as PG has with his tailors. I can't really describe said evolution any more than to say that initially I see PG's clothes, and as time goes by I see more of PG than his clothes. - M

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
+1. That glen plaid is fantastic. Really like both the blazer and the sport coat. Thanks for posting.

Thanks.

The blue suit is the newest of the bunch - I've only worn it once. I'm going to ask Mariano next time I'm in Naples about the sleeve caps. See what he thinks.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Pants are going back to Naples for repair - wanted belt loops instead of side tabs.

Just curious: why? Esthetics? I would have thought they got you somewhat to the same place without the need for a belt.

New commissions look great by the way.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also prefer belt loops, even if pants fit perfectly without a belt on. I much prefer the look of pants with belts than without.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I also prefer belt loops, even if pants fit perfectly without a belt on. I much prefer the look of pants with belts than without.

I generally do, too. But after wearing braces for the first time with my dinner suit, I am tempted to switch for suits.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking I get any custom trousers with side straps as opposed to belt loops. The main reason being the majority of my trousers are RTW and therefore already have belt loops. This way there's more variety.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Just curious: why? Esthetics? I would have thought they got you somewhat to the same place without the need for a belt.

New commissions look great by the way.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by gdl203

+1 - I just like the look of it better. Only exception are my DBs which I prefer with side tabs.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I generally do, too. But after wearing braces for the first time with my dinner suit, I am tempted to switch for suits.

Eh, I went the other way, mostly. Think twice.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
I think Rubi does you better than A&S - and look forward to seeing the your evolution with them as PG has with his tailors.- M

I tend to agree although to be fair I've spent a lot more time with Rubinacci than A&S.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Eh, I went the other way, mostly. Think twice.
But it feels so loose and free! And felted braces with white leather tips look cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads