1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Rubinacci Thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whnay., Jun 6, 2008.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    [​IMG]

I realize it's not actually a berkshire, but I had to combine tasty meat with a pig/hog in a jacket/vest.

actually, it's probably using the black clothing in order to pass.

2. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

Light horn sound better than smoke MOP buttons,anyone knows how to source these buttons? I have couple of jackets I would switch.
    By the way,where are the pics from NYC meeting?

Anyone can help me get accurate measurements of the horn buttons that Rubinacci uses? Clear photos will also be appreciated.

I really love the look of these buttons and I am interested in sourcing these buttons. If I found them and the price is right, I will offer them for SFers.

3. forex

forex Senior member

Anyone can help me get accurate measurements of the horn buttons that Rubinacci uses? Clear photos will also be appreciated.

I really love the look of these buttons and I am interested in sourcing these buttons. If I found them and the price is right, I will offer them for SFers.

PM whnay., he maybe able to tell you.

4. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

PM whnay., he maybe able to tell you.
    Thanks. I PMed whnay. two days ago, but have yet to get back from him. Anyone else can help me measure the buttons of a Rubinacci jacket? I think I finally located a factory that produces for Brioni. I will ask them to produce some Rubinacci style horn and bone buttons for me. So I need the measurement URGETLY! Thanks my fellow SFers! [​IMG]

5. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Thanks. I PMed whnay. two days ago, but have yet to get back from him.

Anyone else can help me measure the buttons of a Rubinacci jacket?

I think I finally located a factory that produces for Brioni. I will ask them to produce some Rubinacci style horn and bone buttons for me. So I need the measurement URGETLY!

Thanks my fellow SFers!

[​IMG]

The buttons Rubinacci uses look like RJ Weldons. They are pretty standard in London. You can download and electro-catalogue from their site. Why are you so in to buttons?

6. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

The buttons Rubinacci uses look like RJ Weldons. They are pretty standard in London. You can download and electro-catalogue from their site. Why are you so in to buttons?
    Just try to do the best in every small detail. Once I am done with buttons, I may move on to other accessories [​IMG] BTW, thanks for directing me to the electro-catalogue, but there is no measurement that I need in the catalogue. I heard that Rubinacci buttons are extra thick. So can anyone measure the thickness of the buttons (front and sleeve) for me? Thanks! [​IMG]

7. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

front
    2 cm x 2 cm wide
    1/4 cm thick

sleeve
    1.5 cm x 1.5 cm wide
    1/4 cm thick

8. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

front
    2 cm x 2 cm wide
    1/4 cm thick

sleeve
    1.5 cm x 1.5 cm wide
    1/4 cm thick

Thanks so much! I thought they are thicker than 2.5mm. I was wrong.

With the same shape and polish, is it true that the thicker the buttons, the better and the more luxury they look? If have have the option to choose the thickness of the buttons I order from the factory, what kind of thickness is preferred? 4mm thick for 20mm buttons and 3mm thick for 15mm ones, or 5mm thick for 20mm ones and 4mm thick for 15mm ones?

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

With the same shape and polish, is it true that the thicker the buttons, the better and the more luxury they look?

I was going to ask you this myself, Bill. I'm dying to know.

- B

10. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

With the same shape and polish, is it true that the thicker the buttons, the better and the more luxury they look? If have have the option to choose the thickness of the buttons I order from the factory, what kind of thickness is preferred? 4mm thick for 20mm buttons and 3mm thick for 15mm ones, or 5mm thick for 20mm ones and 4mm thick for 15mm ones?

This forum never ceases to amaze. Just when you think all clothing fetishes have been covered, along comes a new one.

11. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think your thinking too much about buttons.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Would you please measure the ones in this pic?

[​IMG]

There are four of them.

Thanks.

- B

13. edmorel

There are four of them.

Thanks.

- B

I know a trick where I can change her two top buttons to pearl ones.

14. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

Thanks so much! I thought they are thicker than 2.5mm. I was wrong. With the same shape and polish, is it true that the thicker the buttons, the better and the more luxury they look? If have have the option to choose the thickness of the buttons I order from the factory, what kind of thickness is preferred? 4mm thick for 20mm buttons and 3mm thick for 15mm ones, or 5mm thick for 20mm ones and 4mm thick for 15mm ones?
    Looks like Rubinacci buttons are headed the way of rims. As in... "All my jackets have 20mm dubs, that how I roll"

15. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

[​IMG]

There are four of them.

Thanks.

- B

Oops.

16. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

The good buttons (and the right way to use them) do make a huge difference, according to my experience.

Since I am trying to source some good buttons at reasonable price, for myself and for SFers, it does make sense to sort out the optimal solution (or near optimal) before placing the orders to the factory.

17. apropos

apropos Senior member

Best case scenario is that you will get a poor deal since you are placing a relatively small order. Take nataurlaut for example. $4.5 for each button? I mean - WTF? [​IMG] For a 3r2 with 8 cuff buttons and pants, that is a significant chunk of change... for buttons. RJW sells horn buttons that are 1mm thinner but still plenty thick (3mm) for less than a dollar each. Consider for a moment as well that the best buttons in the world will make not a whit of difference to a poorly cut suit, which is the problem with most suits we see here. This button thing is like one of those audiophile things - like $1000 wooden knobs on your stereo player to make it 'sound' better.

18. edmorel

Best case scenario is that you will get a poor deal since you are placing a relatively small order.

Take nataurlaut for example. $4.5 for each button? I mean - WTF? [​IMG] For a 3r2 with 8 cuff buttons and pants, that is a significant chunk of change... for buttons. RJW sells horn buttons that are 1mm thinner but still plenty thick (3mm) for less than a dollar each.

Don't know anything about RJW but keep in mind that a lot of "horn" buttons that are sold on the market are actually Urea, which are very cheap and can be dyed to make them look like anything. Most people, including merchants, can't tell the difference. The button hierarchy is Urea, Corozo, Horn (moves up in price the lighter it gets in color). I can tell you from experience dealing with one of the largest, if not the largest, wholesalers of horn buttons in the U.S. that you cannot retail quality horn buttons for under a $1.00.

19. apropos

apropos Senior member

^ Sorry it was <1 GBP.

I am skeptical that RJW, one of the bigger trimming/haberdashery names, would knowingly cheat its customers.

Any reliable way to tell urea from horn?

20. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

^ Sorry it was <1 GBP.

I am skeptical that RJW, one of the bigger trimming/haberdashery names, would knowingly cheat its customers.

Any reliable way to tell urea from horn?

Apropos,

No need to sorry, the RJW horn button price are less than 1 USD. The supplier don't know where to source, doesn't mean it can't be done.
    RJW do have imitation horn button to sell, they are cheaper than real horn.
    Using a red hot needle can test it.