The Rubinacci Thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whnay., Jun 6, 2008.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

+1 - I wish we could turn back the clock on this place to circa 2005-2007
    There was a time I really enjoyed forum visits and all the talk about men's style & clothing. Today my coming here is nothing more than a momentary diversion ... and a continued link to a few personalities I associate with that former time.

2. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

There was a time I really enjoyed forum visits and all the talk about men's style & clothing. Today my coming here is nothing more than a momentary diversion ... and a continued link to a few personalities I associate with that former time.

Do you think that is because of you have ran out of substantial topics in menswear to discuss or the forum has ran out of substantial topics to discuss?

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

Do you think that is because of you have ran out of substantial topics in menswear to discuss or the forum has ran out of substantial topics to discuss?

In my honest opinion ... the general tone here at SF no longer lends itself to serious discussion.

Of course, this is not the thread where this discussion should take place.

4. George

George Senior member

In my honest opinion ... the general tone here at SF no longer lends itself to serious discussion. Of course, this is not the thread where this discussion should take place.
    I don't know. Do clothes really warrant that serious a discussion? To borrow from Bernard Shaw. A forum/topic gets the posters it deserves.

5. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

FWIW, I actually don't mind when the Rubinacci-ists post their new acquistions, because it provides a sort of sartorial escapism for me. I certainly can't afford it, but I certainly enjoy look at it/being inspired by it. I wish there would be less hatin' and more postin' of pics.

Whnay's blue d/b with the green tie silk lining and light horn buttons remains one of the best things I've ever seen on this forvm and it makes me extremely envious.

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

Do clothes really warrant that serious a discussion?
    Of course not. In the grand scheme of things ... clothing is relatively minor from my point of view. That is probably why I enjoy talking about clothes ... doing so takes my mind off things that are ... well ... more pressing. It's a lesser form of meditation in the way it clears the mind.

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

. . .​

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Way to kill a thread, guys... [​IMG]

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Way to kill a thread, guys... [​IMG]

You like it, the harrumph? [​IMG]

In my honest opinion ... the general tone here at SF no longer lends itself to serious discussion.

Of course, this is not the thread where this discussion should take place.

There was a "serious" and good natured discussion in the most recent sequence after whnay. posted up his last batch of Ruby shirts. It wasn't Earth shattering, but it was there.

There's only so much one can say about chambray. Sad, but true.

There are maybe five or six members who can talk about Rubinacci in any meaningful way. When they do, they're attacked for being shills--in the self-titled Rubinacci thread, nonetheless.

There are five or six members who can talk about the experience of getting a Rubinacci, but everyone can talk about whether they like what they see, don't you agree?

Seeing it only photographs is a degraded modality, but still, it seems naive to expect more in a free social medium based only on words and photographs.

Some people actually don't like the look of Rubinacci. Forvm worship of it faltered when Cantabrigian and you posted photos and more real life examples were seen other than Mattypoo's stuff. The Internet honeymoon was over after that.

I happen to think that your stuff looks great, but the fact of the matter is, you're a lightning rod.

I feel that another shoe is about to drop, which is that Rubinacci might get the A&S Treatment from the online coterie of actual and amateur tailors who post. It hasn't happened yet, and I hope it doesn't because it would be rather useless and impossible to keep it good-natured or at least civil.

I for one want to see more examples other than Luca Rubinacci, which is why I was encouraging cool to brave the savage beast.

- B

10. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

This thread gone pathetic.

11. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

I too would like to see some more rubinacci sans luca. As interesting as he is, that's only one aspect of the house...

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

There was a "serious" and good natured discussion in the most recent sequence after whnay. posted up his last batch of Ruby shirts. It wasn't Earth shattering, but it was there.
    There are indeed "significant" flare-ups ... even if the great wildfire is out.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

There are five or six members who can talk about the experience of getting a Rubinacci, but everyone can talk about whether they like what they see, don't you agree?
    This is theoretically true, but it doesn't follow through in practice. How much commentary is plagued with disinformation, bad faith, or personal prejudice? Even some reputable veteran members chime in with "information" that is just plain wrong.
    Some people actually don't like the look of Rubinacci. Forvm worship of it faltered when Cantabrigian and you posted photos and more real life examples were seen other than Mattypoo's stuff. The Internet honeymoon was over after that. I happen to think that your stuff looks great, but the fact of the matter is, you're a lightning rod.
    Agreed--it's entirely legitimate not to like the stuff. But when stated opinions are based on wildly incorrect premises it appears that people are simply trying to justify prejudice, ignorance, or ill will, post facto. For example: two years ago I used the word "swelled" to describe the shaping of my jacket's chest. It was just a colorful adjective to describe how nicely sculpted the jacket was, in a way that is distinct from most RTW. However, I surmise because it was me who said it, others concluded that Rubinacci is best suited for those who need to compensate for an effeminate physique. People started talking about "swelling" as if it was some kind of tailoring technique--as if air bladders were installed in my jacket to make my chest look bigger. It didn't matter how often I clarified what I originally meant. Every attempt to explain became evidence that I was back-tracking and simply shilling. Whnay doesn't draw quite the same amount of lightning, but I think it's pretty telling that his height comes up in Rubinacci discussions as frequently as mine. For reasons I'm sure you can infer for yourself, people appear to take the subject of Rubinacci very personally.
    I feel that another shoe is about to drop, which is that Rubinacci might get the A&S Treatment from the online coterie of actual and amateur tailors who post. It hasn't happened yet, and I hope it doesn't because it would be rather useless and impossible to keep it good-natured or at least civil.
    There's already a lot of hostility. There was a discussion on Sator's forum about me and Rubinacci that wound up getting deleted by Sator because of the rank ugliness of the comments--something about Mariano duping me into poorly-fitting, poorly-made MTM masked as bespoke.

14. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

15. RSS

RSS Senior member

There seems to be a forum-wide gravitational pull toward bitchiness and cat clawing.

With that ... I'll leave the subject behind.

Rubinacci anyone?