• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Road (Movie)

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite reads these past couple of years. It looks like they're doing a decent job of making it into a movie. Casting looks brilliant: Viggo is perfect for this part, and Charlize and Duval will do a good job as well. It looks like they didn't go overboard on the post-apocalyptic thing from the pictures - good. I always feared they would make it too sci-fi to connect properly with the characters. I'm excited to see this when it comes out.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I just have trouble seeing how they could adapt this book in to a movie and remain true to its content. I have a feeling this is going to turn into some stupid PG-13 action movie with a happy ending =/

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I just have trouble seeing how they could adapt this book in to a movie and remain true to its content. I have a feeling this is going to turn into some stupid PG-13 action movie with a happy ending =/

I find that highly unlikely - they would have to pretty much ignore the book to get it like that.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I find that highly unlikely - they would have to pretty much ignore the book to get it like that.
May I present I Am Legend
musicboohoo[1].gif
Do you really see them greenlighting a scene where Viggo stumbles on to a basement of people with missing limbs, trapped and harvested for food by cannibals, and then just walk away?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
May I present I Am Legend
musicboohoo[1].gif
Do you really see them greenlighting a scene where Viggo stumbles on to a basement of people with missing limbs, trapped and harvested for food by cannibals, and then just walk away?

This is not a Will Smith movie. It's not even going to be wide release initially. I doubt very seriously that scene will be altered.

I'm ok with the Viggo pick, though in a way I wish they would have picked a no-name. Plus Viggo doesn't really look like he's anyone's Dad, while in the book, the fact that The Man is a father is the most relevant fact about him.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The book was was enjoyable - great setting and mood, but weak on character development. It will be interesting to see how they transfer this to the big screen. The biggest key will be changing the feel from "drawn out, hopeless wandering with little plot" to a film with good pacing (beginning, plot development, climax, denouement).

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ IMHO McCarthy trancends character development. I happen to find his characters highly realistic but they are far from the focus of his work. He tends to walk the tightrope btween metaphor and flesh-and-blood with his characters: it's quite a feat.

Mr. McCarthy has grander things in mind then simple human pathos.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The book was simple enough in the right ways for there to be a strong movie with little change or compromise. John Hillcoat's previous films (the two non-musical) seem appropriate for the type of movie we're hoping this will be.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
^ IMHO McCarthy trancends character development. I happen to find them highly realistic but they are far from the focus of his work.

Mr. McCarthy has grander things in mind then simple human pathos.

I agree with you as to what his goals and ambitions are in his writing, but I personally prefer stronger character development. After all, characters are the medium through which we relate to literature. That being said, I did say that I enjoyed the book and will try and see the film.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
imo the book (like all of his books) isn't character-driven, with the landscape of the country serving as the primary protagnist

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm about to read Blood Meridian. I hope to get around to The Road before I see the film.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I'm looking forward to it. I heard Nick Cave is doing the soundtrack.

A request from Hillcoat, no doubt.

I'm not sure what you could expect out of the Road in terms of character development. I just don't see how you could place it into the story. Everything is written so plainly and starkly that it would feel out of place to throw in some kind of climactic change of character.

Obviously the son becomes stronger as the book progresses, and the man is getting closer and closer to realizing what will happen.

Also, to make a happy ending I don't think they'd have to change much. In my mind, the book's ending was perfectly happy.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Also, to make a happy ending I don't think they'd have to change much. In my mind, the book's ending was perfectly happy.

Agreed -- it ended on an upbeat, which is relative to the rest of the book.

I thought the book was quite manipulative and, at times, absurd. But the gaps in the story I think will be harder to see in a film. I suspect it'll be good. I'm getting sick just thinking about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads