• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Rise of Style Forum-born Entrepreneurs and their Impact on Style

Coburn

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2009
Messages
627
Reaction score
47
Well, FWIW, this is consistent with the long-tail theory: the internet has enabled entrepreneurs to market to small, but global, consumer niches.

I don't buy bespoke but I have abandoned RTW for MTM in shirts, trousers and, recently, jackets. Increasingly, I'm using the internet for most accessories such as socks, shoes, and ties.

The impact of SF on me is more subtle but significant. It made me conscious of the limitations and compromises of RTW and large retail outlets. In the past I accepted these compromises, unthinkingly. But, now, in addition to the SF based entrepreneurs, I have the ability to obtain better quality/better fitting goods from European based retailers.

In the last year, I've made purchases from Yount, Wang and Panta. Additionally, I've purchased C&J shoes from a London based internet site, Dore-Dore from what I believe is an Paris based site, ties from Drakes and Hober (Thailand?) and a pair of trousers from a Japanese site. And, of course, Hemrajani's MTM shirts are workshopped out of HK.
 

OttoSkadelig

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2010
Messages
970
Reaction score
9
zero impact on taste. minor to negligible impact on buying habits.
 

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
12,391
Reaction score
244
in, for a review later...
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,808
Reaction score
774
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
I was having a chat with a 99.9% departed SF member yesterday

How is Vox?
 

emptym

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 22, 2007
Messages
8,468
Reaction score
3,463
Conformity isn't all bad.
 

tj100

Senior Member
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
655
Reaction score
14
Originally Posted by Coburn
Well, FWIW, this is consistent with the long-tail theory: the internet has enabled entrepreneurs to market to small, but global, consumer niches.

I think that's exactly the phenomena that we're seeing here. Clothing of a certain quality level (and style) is all but unavailable in mainstream shopping centers, and where it is available in the traditional brick-and-mortar model, it is punitively expensive.

A lot of what the 'SF entrepreneurs' are providing are things that are in such low demand in any given city, that as a retail proposition, they could not survive. But as an online business serving the world, they can. Over time, we'll probably see an increasing number of these kind of long-tail specialty businesses emerge, particularly in mature industries where proverbial corners are cut to increase profit (or just lower prices).

I think it's an interesting question, for each of them individually, as to what their long-term goals are for their businesses. Do they hope to transition into being mainstream/retail brands? Are they satisfied with a long-term niche? etc.
 

srivats

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2008
Messages
3,907
Reaction score
45
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
I was having a chat with a 99.9% departed SF member yesterday, and he raised an interesting point about narrowing of taste on Style Forum. By narrowness, I think that he meant a type of close-mindedness about style that is not as simple as being plastered against "the rules," but the type that is pedanticly dressed-by-the-Internet and is closed off to learning or appreciating things beyond that.

I'd like to add a contrary opinion. More than the entrepreneurs, it is the highly visible (and sometimes vocal) forum members that set the tone for the current taste. It keeps evolving as new members learn and try to have a style of their own, but one cannot ignore the indirect but strong influence Foo, PG and even yourself.
 

MTLGuy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
zero impact on taste. minor to negligible impact on buying habits.

For me it's minor impact on taste and major impact on buying habits (i.e. I never bought clothing online before stumbling into here).

I can't get on board with all of the looks that I see in the WAYWRN thread but I do appreciate the information.
 

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
5,184
Reaction score
445
Originally Posted by tj100
I think that's exactly the phenomena that we're seeing here. Clothing of a certain quality level (and style) is all but unavailable in mainstream shopping centers, and where it is available in the traditional brick-and-mortar model, it is punitively expensive.

A lot of what the 'SF entrepreneurs' are providing are things that are in such low demand in any given city, that as a retail proposition, they could not survive. But as an online business serving the world, they can. Over time, we'll probably see an increasing number of these kind of long-tail specialty businesses emerge, particularly in mature industries where proverbial corners are cut to increase profit (or just lower prices).

I think it's an interesting question, for each of them individually, as to what their long-term goals are for their businesses. Do they hope to transition into being mainstream/retail brands? Are they satisfied with a long-term niche? etc.


Well said.
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
35,748
Reaction score
10,660
This forum gets a lot of bashing and there are a lot of love/hate relationships with it for a lot of people, but it does offer a lot of solid education. Sure there is some conformity here, but I think it offers looks, brands, and styles that one might not come across in your typical brick and mortar establishment. F. Corbera is in Boston, I am in New York and I have come across the same thing really. If you shop retail you are forced into some sort of conformity, and the same thing goes for Style forum to a degree. I think it offers more variety and ideas that you may not come across without it and I feel benefits many people sartorially, (at least in their own eyes, which is all that really matters).

I think many of the Style Forum based businesses are a great thing because they offer convenience for the people who know what they want. However, many of them, while I still support them are still selling other's products and are basically niche department stores. I think traditional brands are going in this direction as well with all of the collaborations happening; it allows for greater profit from other's designs.

All of this being said I have been wanting to see an all new brand, not a reinvention, that has a physical presence that combines the old school craftmanship Style Forum desires, and classic styling with more up to date fits. I have recently begun making this a reality albeit a painstakingly slow one.
 

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
1,551
Reaction score
1
I conform if it meets my taste and budget. Otherwise, it makes for good webz viewing and killing time 'til the workday is over.

I will say that a byproduct benefit is some ridiculously great deals in B&S
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 81 16.9%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 158 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 79 16.5%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 41 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 29 6.0%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.8%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 1.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.7%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 28 5.8%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,579
Messages
9,201,099
Members
193,203
Latest member
PothySet

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top