• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The rip today's WAYWN pics to shreds discussion thread.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this outfit was poorly put together. Do you think I should sell the suit from 1926 as it is too dated for today? I feel quite comfortable in this suit, but when I wear it just about everyone on the street does a double take. Thank you guys for your honesty. BTW I don't know any lyrics to Frank Sinatra. I listen to mostly 70's and 80's Funk and Oldschool and Underground Hip-hop. Thanks again for the honest critique, hopefully I can evolve to a less individual and more understated elegance.
Okay, now I feel like a dick. Hope you weren't offended. You're a good sport! The suit isn't bad. I think the problem is the style of suit, with it's gangster pinstripes paired with the fedora makes it look a bit costume like. Like you stepped off the set of a movie set in the 20's. I think that's the tricky part when it comes to wearing clothes inspired from other eras. Now that I think about it, the fedora might be the problem. I'm not really a fan of fedoras on anyone, personally. I think fedoras are very hard to pull off in this day and age. I suppose the fedora completes your outfit, but I think if you ditched it (at least with that particular suit) you'd have less people doing double takes. I think the suit could be worn on its own.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
Okay, now I feel like a dick. Hope you weren't offended. You're a good sport!

The suit isn't bad. I think the problem is the style of suit, with it's gangster pinstripes paired with the fedora makes it look a bit costume like. Like you stepped off the set of a movie set in the 20's. I think that's the tricky part when it comes to wearing clothes inspired from other eras.

Now that I think about it, the fedora might be the problem. I'm not really a fan of fedoras on anyone, personally. I think fedoras are very hard to pull off in this day and age. I suppose the fedora completes your outfit, but I think if you ditched it (at least with that particular suit) you'd have less people doing double takes. I think the suit could be worn on its own.

I was not offended.
smile.gif
Thank you for your advice. I think if I sold the suit and bought a modern 2 button navy suit and kept the fedora, it would look less dated.

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibor
I was not offended.
smile.gif
Thank you for your advice. I think if I sold the suit and bought a modern 2 button navy suit and kept the fedora, it would look less dated.

I think the problem is that you like quite young and thin. The suit is fine (albeit a bit dated) however, adding the fedora highlights your young age.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer
I think the problem is that you like quite young and thin. The suit is fine (albeit a bit dated) however, adding the fedora highlights your young age.

Wow, I never thought of it like that. That's really insightful.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I was not offended.
smile.gif

Keep the suit, ditch the fedora and tie. Get a shaggy haircut and stop shaving.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Keep the suit, ditch the fedora and tie. Get a shaggy haircut and stop shaving.
Ah, the Tom Ford look.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I apologize if this outfit was poorly put together. Do you think I should sell the suit from 1926 as it is too dated for today? I feel quite comfortable in this suit, but when I wear it just about everyone on the street does a double take. Thank you guys for your honesty.
smile.gif
BTW I don't know any lyrics to Frank Sinatra. I listen to mostly 70's and 80's Funk and Oldschool and Underground Hip-hop. Thanks again for the honest critique, hopefully I can evolve to a less individual and more understated elegance.

Honestly, I don't understand what's wrong with the suit. It appears to fit better than most here and the style doesn't appear dated to me. The shirt and tie are unobjectionable.

I'd just change the pocket square, or at least stuff it differently. I'd definitely lose the hat. It looks like costume on almost everybody.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
NA + S-E asian, AFAIK. Never seen them in Europe. The city doesn't have to be big, just need a bunch of Chinese people owning restaurants. I dunno where your from but, snark put aside, it might even be available there at some Chinese or Viet joints, you just never were in contact with it. Give it a try, you might like it.

+1. I had bubble tea in Chicago last weekend. I think you can find it wherever there is a sizeable Chinese community.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The suit looks fine to me as well. But the whole looks conspicuously vintage.
This is a fair assessment. I think a later, slimmer fedora style would lessen the time-travel effect. I'm certain I complimented the suit on the main thread and a week on, I still see nothing wrong with it

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Tibor;2164026 said:
I apologize if this outfit was poorly put together. Do you think I should sell the suit from 1926 as it is too dated for today? I feel quite comfortable in this suit, but when I wear it just about everyone on the street does a double take. Thank you guys for your honesty.
smile.gif
BTW I don't know any lyrics to Frank Sinatra. I listen to mostly 70's and 80's Funk and Oldschool and Underground Hip-hop. Thanks again for the honest critique, hopefully I can evolve to a less individual and more understated elegance.
I think it's the hat, rather than anything else that makes the outfit look anachronistic. The suit looks good on you.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Ah, the Tom Ford look.

Huh? There are many ways to skin a cat and no one waited for Tom Ford to fit that description. His is more high-luxury, 90s, shaved chest and 3 days beard kinda thing anyway.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would like to hear some assessements of this Manhattan foyer:

waq4ba.jpg

And yes, I mean hear: I have text to speech on, and would enjoy hearing your comments in a robotic voice.

- B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this why people hate newyorkers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads