• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The right sleeve length? you decide! (picture included)

Acipenser

Reaction score
Hello all,

My first step was to get into proper chest and waist sizing for shirts, but lately i started thinking about proper sleeve size. I have read about how to measure sleeve length, but I find this very tricky. I think its better to test with a shirt from which you measured or know the sleeve size.
Then the question arises, what is the ideal length?

Hereby I will post a picture. If you would sit like the guy in the picture, would your shirt sleeve go up like shown (you can see is watch clearly)? or do you still like the cuff to stay at the wrist position? Let us know.

huib.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget the sleeve length, I'd tell him to get a new tie, and to wipe that stupid grim from his face.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the tie and I think he carries the look well. His shirt sleeve is the correct length also in my opinion. If your sleeves are so long that they remain at your wrist when your arms are bent it will cause a problem. Mainly that when you bent your arms, your jacket sleeves will ride up, your shirt sleeves will remain at your wrist, exposing your entire cuff and gauntlet area. Then you stand up or put your arms back down, the jacket sleeve will catch on your cuff. Also it would be really troublesome to look at your watch.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just placed my arms in the same way as his. My shirt sleeve exposes my watch similarly.

Acipenser

Reaction score
After folding back some cuffs of my shurts and playing around, I have to come to the conclusion that I indeed have many shirts that have a too long sleeve length. I think it looks much better when the sleeves are at a length like shown in the picture.

It is strange that never somebody in a shop did tell me as they always want to give you advice. I have a lot of shirts from which the shirt sleeve is 2 inches too long. I am going to let them change to the proper length soon...

I guess the lesson I learned is that you better check yourself for the fit than listen to the advice, at least... in most shops.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Forget the sleeve length, I'd tell him to get a new tie, and to wipe that stupid grim from his face.

a little respect please. this is the ceo of the candy striper inc.

Acipenser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

I would not wear it myself either. For me its taking too much attention. But perhaps a different look is what he was after.

Magman

Reaction score
Honestly I would tell him to learn a full Windsor. It is really a matter of taste but the a symmetry just...grates on my nerves. But classy move with the french cuffs.

Shantanu

Reaction score
Ignoring the design of the tie, he does carry his suit perfectly.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magman
Honestly I would tell him to learn a full Windsor. It is really a matter of taste but the a symmetry just...grates on my nerves. But classy move with the french cuffs.

Full windsor especially with that thick of a tie would look really way too big, IMO. Symmetry is boring sometimes, I think he chose the right knot though I might have knotted it a little bit more snugly.

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
I agree with everything StopPolloition said. And if he is the ceo of a candy company, the tie is just about perfect! To me, it invokes images of lollipops and other goodies.

Magman

Reaction score
I think that with a little work and patience you can bring the size of most Windsors down substantially (tighten and re tighten etc.) maybe we the exception of some miraculously thick ties. But he is an Italian willy wonka indeed.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magman
I don't know if it's the asymmetry - I can imagine a windsor being huge with that, even with appropriate tightening. I have issue with a) the positioning of the dimple, although I wouldn't throw him out of my house for it and b) the ridiculou pattern. You can't wear a vertical striped tie with a pinstripe suit. Get solid/patterned/at most repp stripe. Sleeves seem fine to me, or perhaps at most a half inch short. It's hard to tell without mimicking that image, I guess, since we're so used to seeing the arm relaxed at the side. Just my two cents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics