1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Return of the Double Breasted Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by OttoSkadelig, May 9, 2010.

1. CutandSew

CutandSew Senior member

The DB suit never really went away.

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

DB suits will always be there ...They're sometimes outdated ,classic ,conservative or even trendy but they will never completely go away ...

It is not as versatile as the sb suits and a certain body shape is needed to look good wearing them ...

3. ruben

ruben Senior member

"Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web."

odd disclaimer isn't it?

4. sammy

sammy Senior member

+1

5. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Well, I am not tall or super "thin," but I think I carry off a DB just fine. I love them.

Mike

6. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

well, of course not. then again, what has? anything that looks inherently good but is just at the margins of the mainstream is periodically cycled in and out to keep things fresh -- it's the nature of things, right? without it the fashion industry would collapse and our savings accounts would be much better padded for it. perhaps i should have titled the post "The Return of the Double Breasted Suit -- per the Financial Times". anyway, the point was not to proclaim the second coming of the DB suit or to debate whether or not the DB went away, but to pass on a fun read. BTW, the article mentions that recent politician-wear has been boring. i have to agree -- the uniform (that i had previously thought was a US-only phenom) of dark floppy suit + solid tie seems to have taken root everywhere. watching the most recent posse of political penguins on stage (brown, cameron, clegg) was quite depressing -- clegg's yellow tie-on-white being especially unappealing. i thought even UK politicians had more evolved taste. has even a stripe here or there become too risky?

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Jude Law needs to learn to use a shirt, and perhaps even a tie. In regards to DB, I've always like the look, but my body fits into them perfectly.

From the article:
    WTF? Who pays $1,200 for a pocket square?

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

From the article: WTF? Who pays $1,200 for a pocket square?
    Same folk who pay $700 for a pair of distressed jeans, or who pay $400 for 'authentic workwear' shirts.

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

haven't you heard?, workwear is dead!

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Sameo pay $700 for a pair of distressed jeans, or who pay $400 for 'authentic workwear' shirts.

Some people are crazy but who are we to criticize them anyway...

11. George

George Senior member

The DB has always been a great cut, especially for those in the know.

12. elegantgentleman

elegantgentleman Senior member

Double breasted suits look amazing, but they have to fit well and are less forgiving in that regard compared to single-breasteds.

They definitely look better on taller and more athletic-built men (as with most clothes!).

13. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Jude Law needs to learn to use a shirt, and perhaps even a tie. In regards to DB, I've always like the look, but my body fits into them perfectly. From the article: WTF? Who pays $1,200 for a pocket square?
    It's saying that Dries van Noten sells a $1,200 suit that comes with a pocket handkerchief, not that the pocket handkerchief is $1,200. The article is a bit confusingly worded, but that's what it is intending to say. That said, suits with built-in pocket squares = [​IMG]

14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

From the article: WTF? Who pays $1,200 for a pocket square?

Small-timer. [​IMG]

15. epa

epa Senior member

It's saying that Dries van Noten sells a $1,200 suit that comes with a pocket handkerchief, not that the pocket handkerchief is $1,200. The article is a bit confusingly worded, but that's what it is intending to say.

That said, suits with built-in pocket squares = [​IMG]

The suit comes with the pocket square? Never heard of that. Is it a built-in pocket square so that you do not have to bother about folding it? Which is what I always find so difficult with pocket squares. On the other hand, it sounds a bit cheap: like a shirt that comes with a built-in tie so that you do not have to worry about the knot...

Now, regarding the DB suits: I think that I have a great build for DB, but I am reluctant to get a suit where I will always have to carry the jacket buttoned except when sitting down. I guess that I just got too used to walking around with the jacket unbuttoned. Yes, I know that this may be considered an offence, but I just got used to it.

By the way, what about DB odd jackets? Last autumn I saw a lovely kind of flannel chalkstripe dark blue or navy and red (the stripes were red, the background navy) cloth that I thought would look great when turned into a DB jacket to wear with gray flannel trousers. Or is it a bit over the top?

16. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

The suit comes with the pocket square? Never heard of that. Is it a built-in pocket square so that you do not have to bother about folding it? Which is what I always find so difficult with pocket squares. On the other hand, it sounds a bit cheap: like a shirt that comes with a built-in tie so that you do not have to worry about the knot...

It's becoming somewhat trendy these days for designers to offer suits with built-in pocket squares. I first started seeing them on my friends' cheap Zara suits a year or two back. Now I see them on designer suits every now and then. Would not surprise me at all to see one on a DvN suit, given that DvN is known as a fashion-forward brand and not an SF-approved, classic maker.

I hope this trend will die a quick death, because much like a clip-on tie, there are few things tackier than a built-in PS. Especially on a $1200 suit.

17. epa

epa Senior member

It's saying that Dries van Noten sells a $1,200 suit that comes with a pocket handkerchief, not that the pocket handkerchief is $1,200. The article is a bit confusingly worded, but that's what it is intending to say.

That said, suits with built-in pocket squares = [​IMG]

I just realised who crazy things are: I noticed that I just saw someone referring to a $1,200 pocket square and I didn't think that it must be an error until I read the explanation some posts further down...

18. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

suit with a built-in pocket square?? how hard is it to get a cheapo white pocket square and just stuff it in?

19. Tom Ford Love

Tom Ford Love Well-Known Member

Double breasted suits look amazing, but they have to fit well and are less forgiving in that regard compared to single-breasteds.

They definitely look better on taller and more athletic-built men (as with most clothes!).

+1 . Almost every Double Breasted SportCoat, Suit, or Blazer I have has had to be tailored. They take a little more work, but IMHO they look better and have a tad more flair than a traditional single breasted.