• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The results of a small shopping trip... shoe, jacket and coat Appreciation!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saturday afternoon, at loose end. What better way to spend it than go shopping at the Bicester Village outlets?
smile.gif

It was insanely busy - I didn't realise it was half-term week, so all the families were out in force. Still, plenty of good shopping to be had, and nearly all my favourite outlets had recently received new stock.

I avoided Loro Piana on entering, saving it up to the end of the day (otherwise I knew I'd blow my entire budget there!). So straight to Ferragamo, which was buzzing but I managed to get the manager (who's helped me before and tends to give an extra little off) to help me out. And help me into a couple of new Tramezzas! There were loads of lovely Tramezza models in many sizes in stock and I only just resisted a double monk as well!

Ferragamo Tramezza "Daniely" burgundy oxfords

Ferragamo Tramezza "Filosofo" variegated dark brown monks:

(trousers in the photos are also new - brown with a faint check, wool & cashmere, courtesy of M&S)

Next, over to Ralph Lauren. Very, very busy, and I saw a former colleague shopping for a new suit too (he chose a fairly unpleasant chocolate brown with a bold pinstripe). Lots of new stock, lots of RLPL suits and jackets, but not much that fit me well. Shoes were disappointing as were ties (not much PL).

There was a beautiful RLPL light-grey flannel or cashmere (can't remember, but very soft) in 38S on a good discount (less than 1/3 retail) which more or less fit and tempted me hugely but I prefer a 37S in RLPL so passed.

I also found a 38S in a dark grey/black glen plaid Black Label Ralph Lauren. Fit damn-near perfectly - definitely more fashion forward slim cut than even RLPL - but I can confirm these suits are totally fused and therefore IMO overpriced even at the outlet price (Black Label seem to only get discounted to the same level as RLPL!)

I did find a buttery-soft 36S RL Polo cashmere jacket that fit me nicely and I couldn't resist:

Enough Ralph Lauren and over to Zegna where I stocked up on shirts (oh, and found another colleague here, buying a nice-looking suit):

Nearing my limit for the day, I returned to the Loro Piana. I started chatting to the manageress and trying a few lovely items on, when I hear a "it's OK, we don't stock that at Ede & Ravenscroft" over my shoulder. Turns out my tailor at Ede seems to be fond of Loro Piana at outlet prices and was also shopping!

Well, having received permission to shop from the competition, I ended up buying a nice new Storm System coat. Apparently this coat was designed for the Italian Olympic Equestrian at the Athens games, though it seems remarkably thick and warm for Greece!
smile.gif

I love the design of this coat, so many beautiful little touches such as the belted back, the "action back", the leather at the collar and basically, the excellent workmanship throughout.

Loro Piana "Barrage" Storm System coat:

A fine day!
cool.gif

(PS. apologies for the x-post from AAAC but it seemed just wrong not to post new shoe pics here on SF!)

abc123

Reaction score
Very nice buys! I believe that I own that same RL sportcoat, and it is a very nice jacket indeed. Hope you enjoy the purchases!

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A most successful expedition HF.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I feel sartorially satiated...
smile.gif

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Wow. That seems like a lovely day. I like the pink sweater, BTW. Congrats on your new purchases.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great finds! I really love the Tramezza "Daniely" oxfords...

Can I be rude and ask about the total "damage" for the day?

Cheers, mate!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Great finds! I really love the Tramezza "Daniely" oxfords...

Can I be rude and ask about the total "damage" for the day?

Cheers, mate!

I was hoping nobody would ask, so I wouldn't have to add it all up...
smile.gif

Um, a little over £1.1k I think (inc. the full-price M&S trousers bought earlier in the day elsewhere). My budget was around £1k so I'm not sweating it. I'm starting to build some good relationships with some of the sales staff so managed to pick up a few little extra discounts. Full non-outlet retail would have been a touch over £2.4k I think (back of envelope calculation only, may be a little off!). No major bargains, esp. from your US perspective, but pretty good for the UK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics