• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Rake" magazine

Lulworth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Spelling is for small timers like yourself. Thats why they have spell check in this age.

That's a weak-minded thing to say.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lulworth
They make some absurd cover choices if you ask me. James S is the biggest. But the one that has the fellow with the shotgun on the cover pretending to be Michael Caine in Get Carter....he is wearing make up. He looks more like Eddie Large than Michael Caine. The features and still life photography are first rate and very interesting. The fashion stories look like they were done by someone who's never been to Savile Row - its all a bit menswear imagined by Masterpiece Theater... a bit fancy dress, like the Chap but with high production values. It pickes up on the right reference points for style (movies etc) but doesnt always nail them convincinglly.

But that said unlike the other poster who photocopies his mates copy (LOL) i think theres plenty of great stuff there to justify a subscription.

Im in.

'Convincingly' I guess you've convinced me
laugh.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I ordered a copy on-line a few weeks ago and am still waiting to recieve it.

I ordered a couple of back-issues on 12th August, and they arrived yesterday, so they take a few weeks...

Lulworth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
'Convincingly' I guess you've convinced me
laugh.gif

Very good! Of course there's a difference between a simple typo double l and writing "ledgable" for "legible". Ledgable is plane ilittirit.

Alfa

Reaction score
SFers are going to cream their nut-hugging Incotex's. Luca is the latest Rake coverboy.

Just picked up my copy tonight. One of the few sartorial perks of living in Singapore is easy and cheap access to the Rake. Costs the same as American GQ or Esquire here.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alfa
SFers are going to cream their nut-hugging Incotex's. Luca is the latest Rake coverboy.

Just picked up my copy tonight. One of the few sartorial perks of living in Singapore is easy and cheap access to the Rake. Costs the same as American GQ or Esquire here.

They put Luca's steely blue eyes on the cover?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a single copy on line. Single copies can only be back issues and not the current edition. I received today, wrapped in clear plastic the April/May edition. It is wonderful. Printed on heavy paper with beautiful photography every page is lush with color. Best of all there is an amazing array of features and stories.

I'm going ahead with a regular subscription. This is a very elegant and beautiful magazine. I highly recommend it.

Alfa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
They put Luca's steely blue eyes on the cover?

Yes, Luca and his bald head are on the cover of issue 5. He also models his own clothes with a very sexy bella figura next to him in an article on his family. This issue is devoted to color and offbeat combinations. There are articles on Ambrosi, Italian shoe construction vs. Blake, Hermes, Errol Flynn, Corthay and a primer on blazers by G. Bruce Boyer.

I would have to say that this is my favorite issue of the 3 I have. Articles have depth, the photography is great and the paper quality is superb.

The only part which I am not so sure on is the photoshop section where they remake famous images (this issue redoes Marcello Mastroianni). I think the idea of picking one style icon and recreating the essence of that style is great, but the literal way they do it seems a bit hokey in comparison to the loving way they deal with the craft of tailoring or shoe making.

I really hope they figure out a way to survive. It is terrific publication, but I fear it is appealing to a niche which is so small that it may have trouble staying alive.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi - Which issue has the article on Berluti bespoke? Thanks.

Alfa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Hi - Which issue has the article on Berluti bespoke? Thanks.

Must be issue 1 or 2. Not in the 3 I have which so far have been themed - #3 Heroes & Villians, #4, British Heritage, #5 Color.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have friend in S'pore, asked him to pick up some copies.

This is his reply:
I have bought the latest issue of the rake (5th issue is now in the market)
but I cannot find the previous issues. All bookstores say that they return
the old issues to the distributor once the new one is out.

I will check a couple of stores more til Friday for the past 4 issues.

Best regards,
Can anyone help. Much thanks

-

Lodger

Reaction score
Hello,

Being sensitive to the fact that it's in poor taste to sell things on this forum, we have just received Issue 5 in the Lodger shop and will be selling it at £10. We have also received a few more of Issue 4 for anyone that missed it. We don't make any profit on the magazine, just pass the money back to The Rake. It's such a beautiful magazine we just want to help spread the word.

Best regards,

Nathan Brown
MD - Lodger Footwear
15c Clifford Street

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads