"The Rake" magazine

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GuidoWongolini, Jan 31, 2009.

1. pat bateman

pat bateman Active Member

i just picked up the oct. and nov. issue of of Men's Ex and Men's Precious and i gotta say why in the world can't the US duplicate the high quality of these magazines. i don't speak or read Japanese but you don't have to in order to love page after page of these mags.

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are there any US newstands that carry The Rake?

3. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

+1, I really want to try it out. Plus, I'd like to read this piece on Rubinacci.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I couldn't find any. I ordered mine from their website. It was worth the wait.

5. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Similarly for those in Oz, I dropped the publisher a note and apparently there are no distributors here. Subscription is the way to go I was informed.

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I guess I'll order it, though the shipping is kinda high.

7. Nomad_K

Nomad_K Senior member

i just picked up the oct. and nov. issue of of Men's Ex and Men's Precious and i gotta say why in the world can't the US duplicate the high quality of these magazines. i don't speak or read Japanese but you don't have to in order to love page after page of these mags.

Japan does more than a few things well. The depth, detail, and quality of print media there is on another level.

8. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

I just did an online subscription for this, not bad at US$ 40 for 6 editions. Based on the online articles it looks ok to me.

I wonder whether they will send me the current issue, it looks good but they seem to be expensive for back issues at $30 a go

9. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Edited. Offer Rescinded.

10. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Just got my issues from a person selling them, and another on the way from the official website (maybe in the next few weeks?)

Awesome, awesome magazine-- looks to me to be written just for gents of the styleforum and askandy types. really interesting articles, and the photos are excellent-- the article on Cleverley is a must for anyone who owns a pair of their magnificent shoes. really cool, and I am thinking about doing my first bespoke piece as a result of the magazine. That dinner suit by Tim Everest (a slim cut tuxedo) looks like a good expenditure, split between two yearly bonuses I'm hoping for in the near future.

11. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

I guess I'll order it, though the shipping is kinda high.

What issue did you order? They don't seem to have the most recent, #5 listed on the site yet.

12. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Just ordered all the available back issues (2,3,4) and have been put on the waiting list for #1 in the event that they reprint it (so everyone drop them and lets get #1 reprinted!)

The subscription starts with issue 5, the current issue, and that's probably why it isn't listed seperately under the back issues.

13. dv3

dv3 Senior member

How long does it take to receive the individual issues? I ordered two weeks ago, but I figured it would be a few weeks...

14. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

Just ordered all the available back issues (2,3,4) and have been put on the waiting list for #1 in the event that they reprint it (so everyone drop them and lets get #1 reprinted!)

The subscription starts with issue 5, the current issue, and that's probably why it isn't listed seperately under the back issues.

Wow, this is pretty expensive for the US. Should we start an SF magazine exchange program?

15. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

Just got my issues from a person selling them, and another on the way from the official website (maybe in the next few weeks?)

Awesome, awesome magazine-- looks to me to be written just for gents of the styleforum and askandy types. really interesting articles, and the photos are excellent-- the article on Cleverley is a must for anyone who owns a pair of their magnificent shoes. really cool, and I am thinking about doing my first bespoke piece as a result of the magazine. That dinner suit by Tim Everest (a slim cut tuxedo) looks like a good expenditure, split between two yearly bonuses I'm hoping for in the near future.

Agreed. The article on Cleverley is great! I also loved the one on Anderson & Sheppard. I love those shoes with the red lining.

I'm sure you already know, but Cleverley are on tour now in the USA for their Fall trunk shows. Dates and details are on their website: www.gjcleverley.com