1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

"The Rake" magazine

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GuidoWongolini, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Alfa

Alfa Senior member

SFers are going to cream their nut-hugging Incotex's. Luca is the latest Rake coverboy.

Just picked up my copy tonight. One of the few sartorial perks of living in Singapore is easy and cheap access to the Rake. Costs the same as American GQ or Esquire here.

2. robin

robin Senior member

SFers are going to cream their nut-hugging Incotex's. Luca is the latest Rake coverboy.

Just picked up my copy tonight. One of the few sartorial perks of living in Singapore is easy and cheap access to the Rake. Costs the same as American GQ or Esquire here.

They put Luca's steely blue eyes on the cover?

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I ordered a single copy on line. Single copies can only be back issues and not the current edition. I received today, wrapped in clear plastic the April/May edition. It is wonderful. Printed on heavy paper with beautiful photography every page is lush with color. Best of all there is an amazing array of features and stories.

I'm going ahead with a regular subscription. This is a very elegant and beautiful magazine. I highly recommend it.

4. GusW

5. Alfa

Alfa Senior member

They put Luca's steely blue eyes on the cover?

Yes, Luca and his bald head are on the cover of issue 5. He also models his own clothes with a very sexy bella figura next to him in an article on his family. This issue is devoted to color and offbeat combinations. There are articles on Ambrosi, Italian shoe construction vs. Blake, Hermes, Errol Flynn, Corthay and a primer on blazers by G. Bruce Boyer.

I would have to say that this is my favorite issue of the 3 I have. Articles have depth, the photography is great and the paper quality is superb.

The only part which I am not so sure on is the photoshop section where they remake famous images (this issue redoes Marcello Mastroianni). I think the idea of picking one style icon and recreating the essence of that style is great, but the literal way they do it seems a bit hokey in comparison to the loving way they deal with the craft of tailoring or shoe making.

I really hope they figure out a way to survive. It is terrific publication, but I fear it is appealing to a niche which is so small that it may have trouble staying alive.

6. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Hi - Which issue has the article on Berluti bespoke? Thanks.

7. Alfa

Alfa Senior member

Must be issue 1 or 2. Not in the 3 I have which so far have been themed - #3 Heroes & Villians, #4, British Heritage, #5 Color.

8. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Have friend in S'pore, asked him to pick up some copies.

This is his reply:
    Can anyone help. Much thanks

-

9. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

Well, "article" is a bit of overstatement -- this is just a short essay of one man's Berluti bespoke experience. Still a nice read, though. It is in Issue 1. Here is a pic: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bjSrV5IgOT...-h/berluti.JPG Andrey

10. Lodger

Lodger New Member

Hello,

Being sensitive to the fact that it's in poor taste to sell things on this forum, we have just received Issue 5 in the Lodger shop and will be selling it at £10. We have also received a few more of Issue 4 for anyone that missed it. We don't make any profit on the magazine, just pass the money back to The Rake. It's such a beautiful magazine we just want to help spread the word.

Best regards,

Nathan Brown
    MD - Lodger Footwear
    15c Clifford Street

11. GusW

One odd thing about the spring issue is their use of Photoshop. In an article about the Rolex Explorer they show one photoshopped (and even note under the photo as having done so) on the arm of Steve McQueen in the Great Escape. They then photoshop a new Armani suit on Frank Sinatra from a 60's era photo of him.

Kinda odd, IMO.

12. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

This magazine is the GREATEST! I love it!

13. Naturlaut II

Naturlaut II Senior member

Have friend in S'pore, asked him to pick up some copies.

This is his reply:

Can anyone help. Much thanks

-

Which issue do you need? I just met the editor and the whole team few nights ago. I can ask for you.

14. Naturlaut II

Naturlaut II Senior member

The "Rake" party at Rubinacci was a great success! I wonder if any other SF members were there.

And then of course there was the after party with Luca and Chiara...

15. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Is this Magazine available in NYC ? I would like to sample it.

16. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

The latest issue is absolutely incredible. The publication has exceeded every expectation I had. I loved the bit on Nick Foulkes and Arny's.

17. LS7

LS7 Senior member

The latest issue is absolutely incredible. The publication has exceeded every expectation I had. I loved the bit on Nick Foulkes and Arny's.

Couldn't agree more. I'm very much enjoying dipping in and out of the latest issue as I have the time. The production quality is very high; the photos which accompany the Rubinacci article are particularly pleasing. Did I see a manton name-drop in the Ambrosi piece?

18. bigchris1313

bigchris1313 Senior member

US Suscribers: when did you receive your copy of the August/September Issue?

I've still not received mine, and we're nearing the end of September. Is anyone else in the States still waiting on it?

19. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

US Suscribers: when did you receive your copy of the August/September Issue?

I've still not received mine, and we're nearing the end of September. Is anyone else in the States still waiting on it?

I just received mine yesterday FWIW.

20. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Dang mine has been sitting on my desk in HKG for 2 weeks! As well as my Monocle.. I now have no CONTENT!