• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Rake" magazine

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Stick mine on a boat. I don't care if it gets here 5 weeks after the release date. Style is timeless, right?
teacha.gif

More seriously, SF members in HK resell copies here for less than the list price, which means they're gouging on shipping.

I think the shipment is from Singapore and not Hongkong. Now u know why?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
More seriously, SF members in HK resell copies here for less than the list price, which means they're gouging on shipping.

What does this mean?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It means that if SF members can ship issues of the Rake to the US for less than the magazine claims to be able to, the magazine must be charging a premium for international orders.

Price gouging = overcharging, swindling, etc. (not sure if your first language is English, so I don't mean to be condescending).

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't understand that. I retract my statement, in that case.

Still seems nuts, though. I see ultra-thick copies of Vogue that must weigh near 1kg sold all over the world for $5 each. Then again, half the pages are just ads...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone should scan/PDF/torrent this.

fox81

Reaction score
i'd probably pay a modest amount to be able to read it online

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was one of the earliest to introduce the magazine to the forum. I also did several proxy to some members here. The price of the magazine was around $7 but the shipping in many instance was $18 to $35. I tried several couriers, all airmail. This did not include the cost of packaging and labor (going to post, wrapping and prep). I quoted $20 unknowingly and stuck to my guns, honored the price and got to know a few friends as well as assholes.

Those who were recipients of proxy services and paid $25 or lesser should be grateful instead of bitching about the price. One, whom, shall not mention, even complained that he did not receive it within 3 days. Ultimately, I decided it wasn't worth the while and mentioned it here to warn other members who were kind enough to do proxies.

I only take the magazines along with me and physically pass it to those gracious few when I travel to London, NY and Vegas. It's a thankless job and I will not extend this anymore.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A good idea would be this:

A member with local access to the magazine could outsource the scanning/digitization of the periodical to a printshop/scanning service. Then, with the PDF in hand, he could password protect it (or not) and charge $5 per electronic copy to those who would like to subscribe. I'm sure the profit from the venture would be supported/encouraged by members. As long as a high-volume [secondary] black market (via PMs) did not materialize, it would be rather sustainable.

Naturally it is also in breach of copyright laws, but just saying.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, I like having apropos around because his rage makes mine look insignificant by comparison.

Good idea MS. I loves me some piracy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads