1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

"The Rake" magazine

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GuidoWongolini, Jan 31, 2009.

1. barims

barims Senior member

Their site design is not bad, though occasionally unwieldy. They seem to choose their pieces well

2. hip_priest

hip_priest Active Member

They are now taking international subscriptions, although the shipping rates are very high.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Never read The Rake, but I'd go and recommend The Chap. A fine magazine (though not if one is just looking for style advice) and good read. http://www.thechap.net/
    IMO, the Chap is fun, but the style and jokes get a little old after a year or so. I cancelled my subscription.

4. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Their site design is not bad, though occasionally unwieldy. They seem to choose their pieces well

The piece on Agnelli is worth it alone to see that DB Caraceni.

5. plotter

plotter Senior member

Their last issue had a 14-page article on tailoring pants. Now, that's a lot better than a 1-paragraph GQ article on how to wear boat shoes. Ugh.

6. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I would really not recommend anyone subscribe to a new/ unestablished magazine no matter how interesting the first few issues are.

When you commit the money by signing for a subscription, you take a risk in that you won't know the kind of quality you will get months down the line. Secondly, the magazine might just shut. I took up and paid for a 2 yr subscription of Classic Style, received 2 issues and hear all this crap about them ceasing publication. Never saw my money and asked them to send me their back issues in return but they keep evading my emails and gave lots of excuses. It was all very badly handled. One fo the worst investments I ever made in magazine subscription. I would have been happier with a year supply of Men's Health.

I'm not saying that the Rake is like this but there is always the possibility.

7. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

$65.00/year is not too bad if its a decent mag. Hell GQ and Esquire are so bad now i cant even look at them and the crap thats inside is awefull. I would rather pay $65.00 for something that is ledgable.

8. plotter

plotter Senior member

Who can hate on GQ's 1 page articles on how to buy a wingtip, albeit, the brands are Salvatore non-Tramezza, Paul Smith, Gucci, LV, Fendi, and other fucked up brands. Lol.

9. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

I love this magazine. It is tough to find in the United States. The Anderson & Sheppard article is GREAT! Such an amazing company.

10. instep

instep Senior member

- ROFL, FYI I'm not one for details.. Maybe one of teh other HKG iBlokes..[​IMG]
    OK, try #2: The Rake - yes, or no? [​IMG]

Cheers mate, hope you're enjoying yourself in HK.

11. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

It's not a bad magazine. I posted about it in the "How Hong Kong is different thread".

Last month they did a profile on Charvet, Trousers Fit and Brioni.

The latest issue has a cover story on Cleverley shoes

I just saw the latest issue. The story on Cleverley is great. The magazine is doing a great job on interviewing the best. So far, Anderson & Sheppard, Charvet, Brioni and now Cleverley.......

This magazine should be sold all over the world.

12. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

Isn't the issue including the A&S writeup the second? I think I still have it somewhere... I'll take a look...

13. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

I think the third edition is out. I will look at my last copy.

14. randob300

randob300 Senior member

Edited: Nevermind...I added nothing to this thread.

15. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Articles are bit short, but not bad. The piece on the A&S cut contains some mistakes, but it's quite interesting nonetheless.

http://www.therakeonline.com/

Could you tell us what are the mistakes?

16. jon5986

jon5986 Senior member

Does anyone know where one can get this magazine in New York? I am sure it is sold somewhere.......

The last issue was the third edition and it had an eight page article on Cleverley. A very nice read. Plus, the Get Carter article was great!

17. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just got three copies of this. It is stunningly beautiful and must cost a fortune to produce. The photography is as good as professional work anywhere. The content is great, if not always what I personally am into. Still, it is miles ahead of anything else out there.

18. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I think I know the real reason Anderson was afraid to visit Cruise in his hotel room. [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Anyone have a copy of the A&S issue that they are willing to part with?

20. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

Anyone have a copy of the A&S issue that they are willing to part with?
    It's on the website and I saw it somewhere else once as a PDF. Edit Here is the PDF. It's very high Q and much better than what is on The Rake's own site. Cheers to ACL. http://acontinuouslean.com/2009/05/1...view-the-rake/