• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The RACHford Files Vol. 2: Azzuraa Leather Bag Test Drive

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Azzuraa is a new SF Affiliate who provides custom leather goods and shoes at affordable prices. They offered me a test drive and I'm happy to report my findings. I admit it's a fairly lengthy/involved read, but I think it's important for anybody considering bespoke (whether with this brand or any other) to know what it all involves and how to go about enjoying the process.

Affiliate Thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/459017/...-official-affiliate-thread/0_100#post_7818162

Executive Summary: Decent quality, fast turnaround time, fully customizable options, and affordable prices. Assuming they can tweak the website/ordering process and work out a few logistical hiccups, I think Azzuraa has a bright future.

Intro: “Bespoke” is one of those buzz words everybody on the forum loves to use. We see bespoke suits, bespoke shirts, bespoke shoes, and even bespoke fragrances. Generally it’s only reserved for those with a lot of disposable income; it’s hard to get much of anything bespoke for less than $1000. Even for those who can afford it, however, it requires a level of knowledge and commitment you can’t have with RTW: you have to KNOW what you want. If you are new to the field, sometimes all those options can be overwhelming.

Enter Azzuraa, a leather brand out of India offering fully bespoke/custom leather goods. For my test drive, I indulged the imagination on a bag I’ve been wanting for a long time: a colorful nubuck “tall” weekender.

I went through the steps on the website, sent off my order, and about 2.5 weeks later was told my bag was ready. During the interim, customer service was very receptive to my discussions, email pictures, and tweaks, and several follow-up contacts helped give me confidence that my ideas had been translated well to the factory.

What I like: No logos, sturdy, decent leathers, thick hardware, and a nice fabric lining. Stitching looks pretty solid. Of course what is best is that you can design it however you want. Sturdy removable strap; the rolled handles have a nice feel to them. Clasps/buckles/handle attachments are sturdy as well.

PRICE is another big win; $419 plus shipping, so about $450 total. Since it was a weekender, it was their most expensive bag. The messengers and briefcases range from the $200’s-300’s. Everything on the site I saw was less than $500 total.

What needs work: Two things to report, but luckily neither of them have to do with the final product. They are (1) the website and (2) a hiccup in the logistics/shipping process.

1) Website: Needs some work and doesn’t do the brand justice. I don’t like the ad copy or overall “feel” of the website. It’s hard to navigate from point to point. I’m also not thrilled with the pictures available. When ordering a bag, one can only see rough drawn mock-ups with small leather swatches that are hard to tell color/texture.

NOTE: Better pictures were then sent by email after a contact. As well, customer service is pretty receptive to edits/changes and are working on the website (see the affiliate thread for a discussion). Overall, the brand is a small start-up just getting going; with any start-up there will be some necessary tweaks.

2) I also have to mention a logistical/shipping hiccup. The bags come out of their Indian factory, and for some reason customs seized my shipment for “special handling/check” and it sat for nearly two weeks at JFK. It appears to have been a random check, not something necessarily Azzuraa’s fault… but potential members must realize that the shipments will be international and may be subject to custom’s delays, duties, etc. It’s a minor headache… yes… but one I think I have to report.

Overall Assessment: In total truth, I wasn't expecting a lot. I dragged my feet on committing to do the review at first; I honestly didn't see how you could get something decent, fully custom, and "worth its salt" at that price. HOWEVER, the bag I received surprised the hell out of me, in a good way. As such, two questions:

1)Would I consider them for another bag? Absolutely. In fact, I’m thinking of one already....

And a reality check:
2) Are they a competition for other bespoke services, like April in Paris? Well, of course not. Then again, they aren't intended to be; at 1/10 the price obviously they aren't going to be in the same league. You get what you pay for, at the end of the day. I like my bag for $419, especially seeing as how it is custom. Would I like it for $1000.... well, that's another story...

NEVERTHELESS, keep in mind that bespoke at ANY level is not for every customer. If you don’t know what you want, or WHY, you might end up with an $$$ bag that isn’t really as great as one you can get off a shelf somewhere. This is the CUSTOMER'S fault, not the maker's (after all, they are simply doing what you paid/asked them to do).

SO, inform and educate yourself, do some soul searching, and see if bespoke is right for you. Do you have a "fun" bag you've always wanted but can't find/afford elsewhere? Do you have specific needs in a bag you can't get in RTW? If YES, and you don’t want to mortgage your house to do it elsewhere, I think Azzuraa is a great choice.

Here are a few pics of my bag. Keep in mind it’s a bespoke item, so it’s more MY style than Azzuraa’s, or yours. SO, you may not like that it’s red and blue. You may not like the strap. I don’t care; that’s why it was designed for me. ;)

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A little more about the design of the bag. More than 20 years ago, LV did a very fun Tri-color Noe bag in Epi. It was too small, too "purselike," and was only made for a limited time. BUT, I wanted the "feel" and fun of that bag, but in a different style and leather type (don't get me started on why I hate the EPI printed leather style). I wanted the SHAPE of the Gianfranco Ferre AW09 "tall" duffle (see bottom right bag). This exact bag is not made anywhere... hence bespoke is the right choice.

I started with a bag on the Azzuraa site, called the “Bluet Duffle." I then tweaked the size, layout, and details. I wanted something FUN that I couldn’t get anywhere else. I mean, why go bespoke for a bag I already have, or could get at the store?

Original LV Epi Noe Tricolore:

LV Epi Keepall 45 (or 50), meaning 45cm/50cm wide.

Gianfranco Ferre Fall2009 Runway Duffle:

The original mock-up image of the BLUET DUFFLE (left). On right one of my simple modifications I communicated to them.

And, of course, the finished bag:

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I commissioned a briefcase via Azzuraa last week and I look forward to the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I commissioned a briefcase via Azzuraa last week and I look forward to the results.

Excellent! Please feel free to update this thread with some pics and your opinion of the results. Hope you enjoy it! BUT, when you get your first taste of bespoke... be warned... you never go back. It makes it really tough to go shopping after that!

pnewelljr

Reaction score

I am excited to see the result, I've been contemplating ordering one for too long now.

trum01

Reaction score
Azzuraa is a new SF Affiliate who provides custom leather goods and shoes at affordable prices. They offered me a test drive and I'm happy to report my findings. I admit it's a fairly lengthy/involved read, but I think it's important for anybody considering bespoke (whether with this brand or any other) to know what it all involves and how to go about enjoying the process.

Affiliate Thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/459017/...-official-affiliate-thread/0_100#post_7818162

Executive Summary: Decent quality, fast turnaround time, fully customizable options, and affordable prices. Assuming they can tweak the website/ordering process and work out a few logistical hiccups, I think Azzuraa has a bright future.

Intro: “Bespoke” is one of those buzz words everybody on the forum loves to use. We see bespoke suits, bespoke shirts, bespoke shoes, and even bespoke fragrances. Generally it’s only reserved for those with a lot of disposable income; it’s hard to get much of anything bespoke for less than $1000. Even for those who can afford it, however, it requires a level of knowledge and commitment you can’t have with RTW: you have to KNOW what you want. If you are new to the field, sometimes all those options can be overwhelming.

Enter Azzuraa, a leather brand out of India offering fully bespoke/custom leather goods. For my test drive, I indulged the imagination on a bag I’ve been wanting for a long time: a colorful nubuck “tall” weekender.

I went through the steps on the website, sent off my order, and about 2.5 weeks later was told my bag was ready. During the interim, customer service was very receptive to my discussions, email pictures, and tweaks, and several follow-up contacts helped give me confidence that my ideas had been translated well to the factory.

What I like: No logos, sturdy, decent leathers, thick hardware, and a nice fabric lining. Stitching looks pretty solid. Of course what is best is that you can design it however you want. Sturdy removable strap; the rolled handles have a nice feel to them. Clasps/buckles/handle attachments are sturdy as well.

PRICE is another big win; $419 plus shipping, so about $450 total. Since it was a weekender, it was their most expensive bag. The messengers and briefcases range from the $200’s-300’s. Everything on the site I saw was less than $500 total.

What needs work: Two things to report, but luckily neither of them have to do with the final product. They are (1) the website and (2) a hiccup in the logistics/shipping process.

1) Website: Needs some work and doesn’t do the brand justice. I don’t like the ad copy or overall “feel” of the website. It’s hard to navigate from point to point. I’m also not thrilled with the pictures available. When ordering a bag, one can only see rough drawn mock-ups with small leather swatches that are hard to tell color/texture.

NOTE: Better pictures were then sent by email after a contact. As well, customer service is pretty receptive to edits/changes and are working on the website (see the affiliate thread for a discussion). Overall, the brand is a small start-up just getting going; with any start-up there will be some necessary tweaks.

2) I also have to mention a logistical/shipping hiccup. The bags come out of their Indian factory, and for some reason customs seized my shipment for “special handling/check” and it sat for nearly two weeks at JFK. It appears to have been a random check, not something necessarily Azzuraa’s fault… but potential members must realize that the shipments will be international and may be subject to custom’s delays, duties, etc. It’s a minor headache… yes… but one I think I have to report.

Overall Assessment: In total truth, I wasn't expecting a lot. I dragged my feet on committing to do the review at first; I honestly didn't see how you could get something decent, fully custom, and "worth its salt" at that price. HOWEVER, the bag I received surprised the hell out of me, in a good way. As such, two questions:

1)Would I consider them for another bag? Absolutely. In fact, I’m thinking of one already....

And a reality check:
2) Are they a competition for other bespoke services, like April in Paris? Well, of course not. Then again, they aren't intended to be; at 1/10 the price obviously they aren't going to be in the same league. You get what you pay for, at the end of the day. I like my bag for $419, especially seeing as how it is custom. Would I like it for $1000.... well, that's another story...

NEVERTHELESS, keep in mind that bespoke at ANY level is not for every customer. If you don’t know what you want, or WHY, you might end up with an $$$ bag that isn’t really as great as one you can get off a shelf somewhere. This is the CUSTOMER'S fault, not the maker's (after all, they are simply doing what you paid/asked them to do).

SO, inform and educate yourself, do some soul searching, and see if bespoke is right for you. Do you have a "fun" bag you've always wanted but can't find/afford elsewhere? Do you have specific needs in a bag you can't get in RTW? If YES, and you don’t want to mortgage your house to do it elsewhere, I think Azzuraa is a great choice.

Here are a few pics of my bag. Keep in mind it’s a bespoke item, so it’s more MY style than Azzuraa’s, or yours. SO, you may not like that it’s red and blue. You may not like the strap. I don’t care; that’s why it was designed for me.
wink.gif

Is it me or does it have a worn out look?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^It's Nubuck; that's how it's supposed to look. And the hardware is bronzed/antiqued to give it that finish.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wanted up update this thread with a review of a pair of shoes I received from AZZURAA. I've had a chance to wear them for a week or two and wanted to respond about the product and the process.

Style: "Pinus" Oxford punched cap toe shoes
Size: Bespoke
Color: Cinnamon calf exterior; black kid lining
Price: $429

Executive summary: Worth it? YES. Especially for those who have non-standard sized feet or substantial differences between left and right.

STEP ONE: I'm no expert in the bespoke shoe process, so it was my first time trying it via an online portal. The website provides detailed instructions for how to measure one's feet; I'd recommend going to a store or having a professional do it if you don't already know your measurements. There was also an extra step of having an actual-size outline of the foot submitted in PDF.

Overall, the process was pretty easy for the measurements; customer service was also very quick to respond with help. The PDF scan was a little confusing to get just right; I'd hope over time they might be able to eliminate this step in the future.

STEP TWO: A week or two later I received a "sample" shoe in the mail. It was a fully functional mock-up in canvas with a leather sole and leather lining. I was asked to wear the shoe for a few days to ensure all the measurements were right and the fit was good. The fit was perfect and so after a few wearings I gave the "go ahead" to make the final shoes.

STEP THREE: The final product arrived about two weeks after the sample. I was very pleased with the fit and the quality. They arrived with two high-quality cloth dustbags as well. The only thing I was NOT thrilled with was that the soles were painted in the same cinammon color as the shoes. I would have preferred a natural color sole. However, I have been told by AZZURAA that it's no problem for a client to request either painted OR natural sole. I have asked them to make this a step/choice in the process.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Are they worth $429? Definitely, ESPECIALLY if you have feet that don't fit a standard size. Bespoke for sub $500 is tough to find, and I think for the right client it would be perfect. I had no issues with the fit, finish, or quality at this price. The materials easily match or surpass my RTW shoes at this level (eg C&J) though obviously have a better fit for my feet.

Attached below are images of the sample:

Finished at the factory:

The shoes I received:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads