• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quitting Alcohol Thread

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided to quit drinking. Not 100%. I'm not an alcoholic and I don't believe in absolutes anyway. But it's no longer going to be a regular part of my life.

There are several reasons. Firstly, I've realised as I get older (mid 40s) that I just can't do it anymore; I don't enjoy alcohol. I love the taste of good beer, fine wine and whisk(e)y but none of them seem to like me these days. Secondly, my enjoyment of craft beer has been a significant contributor to my being out-of-condition and overweight, and this only got worse as I got more depressed about not being in shape. I should note here that I don't mean this in standard North American terms, but in terms of being a locally competitive runner and triathlete at age-group level (see the running thread). I haven't been drinking a lot by normal standards but it all adds up. Finally, I think I may actually be in some way 'allergic' to alcohol - at least it seems to cause reactions in me. I've got pretty sensitive skin and when I drink any more than a small amount, it seems to send my skin crazy.

Anyway, as of last Wednesday, I have not had a drop and I intend to keep this up indefinitely, except for special occasions. I will not have a 'quick half' on the way home or buy a bottle of wine to take home for the weekend. I will not be ordering a beer with a meal, not even a small one.

Is anyone else doing the same, or has done the same, for whatever reason?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quit drinking every so often. When I was in my 20's I used to go out every weekend and as I got older I started cutting back. Now in my early 30's I may have one drink or 2 for like a 6 week period and then just go all out one night and put down like 15 drinks. I hate myself the next morning for going all out and restart the no drinking rule. Currently, the last time I drank alcohol was St Patty's Day.

Reaction score
Last booze I had was March 19, 2008. Used to be a social drinker- never any problem. But I just decided to give it up, and I don't miss it at all.

OscarO

Reaction score
I've decided to quit drinking. Not 100%. I'm not an alcoholic and I don't believe in absolutes anyway. But it's no longer going to be a regular part of my life.

There are several reasons. Firstly, I've realised as I get older (mid 40s) that I just can't do it anymore; I don't enjoy alcohol. I love the taste of good beer, fine wine and whisk(e)y but none of them seem to like me these days. Secondly, my enjoyment of craft beer has been a significant contributor to my being out-of-condition and overweight, and this only got worse as I got more depressed about not being in shape. I should note here that I don't mean this in standard North American terms, but in terms of being a locally competitive runner and triathlete at age-group level (see the running thread). I haven't been drinking a lot by normal standards but it all adds up. Finally, I think I may actually be in some way 'allergic' to alcohol - at least it seems to cause reactions in me. I've got pretty sensitive skin and when I drink any more than a small amount, it seems to send my skin crazy.

Anyway, as of last Wednesday, I have not had a drop and I intend to keep this up indefinitely, except for special occasions. I will not have a 'quick half' on the way home or buy a bottle of wine to take home for the weekend. I will not be ordering a beer with a meal, not even a small one.

Hats off to you. I'm also a competitive runner/triathlete however I'm in my early 20's. I used to work as a manager at a night club and would go out partying at least 4x per week. Nowadays I rarely go out however I still enjoy the occasional drink. I never however let it affect my training. For me, it is very satisfying to have a good glass of wine or a nice beer after a long day of hard workouts. Not every week,m year round, but during my peak I will do it every week.
Have thought about quitting entirely, but can't really think of any benefit for me. One or two beers isn't going to affect my performance the day after, and the calories don't matter as I'm already eating 5000+/day and will just eat a little less if I'm having a drink.

sinemej

Reaction score

Anyway, as of last Wednesday, I have not had a drop and I intend to keep this up indefinitely, kredi başvurusu except for special occasions. I will not have a 'quick half' on the way home or buy a bottle of wine to take home for the weekend. I will not be ordering a beer with a meal, not even a small one.

this is really awesome

ChaoSki

Reaction score
I put <insert anything> into 2 camps. Makes me a better person or makes me a worse person camp. This applies to people, things, alcohol....whatever

Alcohol has ALWAYS been the 2nd for me. Even if I have a little, the way my body feels is just crappy. What's worse is that my motivation and drive is completely depleted the next day.

Do I drink? From time to time but ONLY when I know I don't have to be at my best the next day or for next few days. Limit it to once a month if that at this point.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm about to hit a year of sobriety . . . still not sure why I quit. I had two cats for 17 years and they died April 4 and April 21, 2017. I had to put the second one to sleep. I got really drunk that night and haven't touched the stuff since, something about the brevity and fragility of life I guess.

I find I enjoy my life, family, friends and job more without it.

I do miss it sometimes (especially weekend patio drinking in great weather). Still, I probably drank too much anyway so its no big loss.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One year on, this didn't really work out - in fact, I ended up drinking more than before! However, as I now have gout, I've really had to quit completely as of this month. Gout in my case is genetic, nothing to do with the alcohol, however giving up alcohol (amongst other things) is a very good mitigation strategy...

fathergll

Reaction score
I quit drinking every so often. When I was in my 20's I used to go out every weekend and as I got older I started cutting back. Now in my early 30's I may have one drink or 2 for like a 6 week period and then just go all out one night and put down like 15 drinks. I hate myself the next morning for going all out and restart the no drinking rule. Currently, the last time I drank alcohol was St Patty's Day.

Same here and this is a pretty standard evolution for most people. When i was in my college days I didn't understand why people over 30 weren't getting hammered multiple times a week and then I found out it's mostly because your bodies ability to recover usually past 30 goes down drastically every year on everything you do. This impacts everyone from pro athletes needing more recovery time in their 30s to 40s or just an accountant who likes to drink at a bar.

To me my cut back on drinking largely came from 2 areas;
  • My social circle grew up and didn't want to drink or couldn't because of adulthood
  • My hangovers got very bad and I realized how much I liked the idea of feeling good the next day.
Remember the bar is always 21. You keep getting older everyone there stays the same age with new faces filtering in and out over the years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads