• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quintessential Watch for the Travelling Businessman

Star

Reaction score
Pertinent Question: If a man had to choose a watch that would serve him in multiple scenarios as a global businessman/consultant, what would it be?

I know the simple answer would be his blackberry however I am referring to a wrist watch. Without personalising this question in my mind it would have to address the following

Aesthetic Style – Work while the man is dressed for the office, dressed for a casual stroll down any major city or going for a drink at a swanky bar.

Discretion – A bling watch may not work or draw unnecessary attention in his travels

Comfort – Must be practical say in a Scandinavian Winter as it would be in a sweaty Tropical Summer environment say in South East Asia

Waterproof – Do I need to say no more that the global traveller may decide to jump into a hotel pool or mellow out on a beach?

Aura – This is the quality of it being generally accepted as a nice watch by anyone who may wish to have a look or more importantly someone of the fairer sex, while not coming across as arrogant. (Please no G Shocks )

I know this question may appear to be more suited to a watch forum like TimeZone.com. However, I have those forums are generally but not exclusively about Cult followings of particular brands and less about some of the other qualities I have mentioned particularly the one on Aesthetic Style.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex GMT Master IIc

Period..

Or if you want something different.. Then a Panerai 233J

FWIW - I have both of the above

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal favorite is the Suunto Core Steel. Rugged, lots of features for the outdoor junkie, provides dual time (which is very useful when you travel a lot), looks great and has good functionality that is useful in the Scandinavian ski slopes and the tropical jungles of SE Asia. Or more simply, tells you when precipitation is likely to occur, which is useful no matter where you are.
Suunto_Core_Steel_Steel.jpg
There is a rather interesting interactive demo on their website, as well. Of course, if you are looking for something where aesthetics is more important, I've had my eye on the Tissot T-touch for some time now.
1569_l.jpg
T33_7_688_81_L.jpg
That said, I am unsure of the ruggedness of just about most watches, except maybe watches from Omega, Casio, Timex and Suunto. But then, you did say no G-shocks.
smile.gif

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
What's good enough for James Bond ist good enough for any member on SF. So either PG's Rolex or an Omega. Or a Seiko.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good suggestions above...I think I would prefer an interation of a Reverso Duo, e.g.:

q2948102b.jpg

...or maybe a Hometime if the waterproof aspect is essential:

masterhometime.jpg

- B

16520Man

Reaction score
06-24-2008c.jpg

citoyen

Reaction score
gp_2006_84906696_1859197973.102422.jpg

for the really important gentleman...
tounge.gif

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on Rolex Submariner, Omega Seamaster or Seiko SKX007. A classic watch suited for every occasion.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plastic swatch. Easier for airports. Little financial loss, if you get mugged in Ascencion/Nairobi/Dhaka. The Rolex sets you up as mark.

-

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pilot showed me his watch once. I didn't remember the brand, but it was a 24 hour watch, which is set to GMT, and the bezel is adjusted to mark the timezone. No matter where he went, all he had to do was glance at the timezone info on his flight information, for example GMT -3, and twist the bezel 3 hours behind. No real hassle when traveling. I'd like to find one like it because I think it is a great watch for travel, plus a great conversation piece.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
IWC UTC 3251 classic dial. Watch of the year 1998.
3251UTC-S-B-1a.jpg

highball

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Sinn's. I think the 756 or 956 would fit all of your criteria except for maybe:

Originally Posted by Star
Aura - This is the quality of it being generally accepted as a nice watch by anyone who may wish to have a look or more importantly someone of the fairer sex, while not coming across as arrogant. (Please no G Shocks )

There have been quite a few watch questions of late...

swoobie

Reaction score
One vote here for the original Rolex Yachtmaster in Plat/Stainless. Much less obvious than the GMT/Seadweller/Submariner and quite a bit more unique as well. While most people recognize the GMT/Seadweller/Submariner, my Yachtie flies comfortably under the radar, with very few people recognizing it as a Rolex - exactly as I like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads